Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Difficulty sending 500 books

Seems that 0.5.7 on OS X is giving me a lot of problems with sending files to my PRS-700. The spinning beach ball comes up quite often and for a long time when sending files. I was sending about 10 files at a time to the PRS-700 SD card memory and then when I was going to bed decided to select the rest of the files (about 500 remaining) and send them all at once. Well, about 5 hours later when I woke up, Calibre is still showing the spinning rainbow and when I checked the card (using Finder) to see what has been sent, only about 37 books have been uploaded. It seems that Calibre has stalled so I Force Quit the programme to start again.

Sending only about 10 files at a time is rather slow as I have to babysit the computer. I have about 500 books. Is there another way?
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
That's curious. I've sent recently nearly 1200 books to my Kindle 2 (just to see how much space they'd take up) and the process took less than 15 minutes over a USB2 connection. This, too, was on a a Mac -- a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.6.

Could the reason yours didn't work out be that your Mac went to sleep in the middle of the operation because there was no keyboard or mouse activity?
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nah, it didn't go to sleep. It was awake when I was up. And I'm now doing about 10 at a time and for this current run of about 10 books, that's taking 6 minutes and counting. The spinning beachball is still there.

I should add that 99% of my books are PDF files.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 04-17-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: noted that most of my files are PDFs
Old 04-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Sounds like an issue with the SD card, or maybe how Calibre talks to SD cards through a Sony.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

I'm getting these errors now during the latest batch of sending files to the SD card:

Quote:
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'db_id'
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/__init__.pyo", line 159, in dispatch
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 679, in books_uploaded
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 171, in add_books_to_metadata
File "calibre/devices/prs505/driver.pyo", line 443, in add_books_to_metadata
File "calibre/devices/prs505/books.pyo", line 415, in fix_ids
File "calibre/devices/prs505/books.pyo", line 413, in regen_ids
File "calibre/devices/prs505/books.pyo", line 365, in reorder_playlists
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'db_id'

And also,

Quote:
Job: **Send metadata to device**
**TypeError**: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable
**Traceback**:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 37, in run
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 150, in _sync_booklists
File "calibre/devices/prs505/driver.pyo", line 459, in sync_booklists
File "calibre/devices/prs505/books.pyo", line 415, in fix_ids
File "calibre/devices/prs505/books.pyo", line 406, in regen_ids
File "xml/dom/minidom.pyo", line 682, in getAttribute
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable
This last batch is about 40 books. Not that many. I'm resending it because I don't know what metadata got written and what didn't.

The SD card was recently formatted in FAT 32. It was formatted last night before I began re-uploading all my books from Calibre.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you sending PDF files to the reader?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Sending can be slow sometimes, but it also depends on the size of the files. I sent about 650 files to my device and they too kabout 4 gigs of space (some 100 megs lrf in there). First calibre seems to manage the files in the temp dir and then send them to the device. The first step takes maybe 30 min or less and then it starts sending.

Main problem with sony 505 or maybe even 700 (haven t tested on the later), is when you send such large files the collection data gets corrupted and all that remains is the number of books. There is a tool on this forum that allows you to create the xml so it shows the correct collections. Have yet to try it, but it might be a good option for sending large files!

Edit: Here is the software that creates the xml : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29217

Might be the only solution to keep collection data in! (could maybe be a nice idea for a pluggin for someone who knows python.)

Last edited by Student1; 04-17-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
PDF files tend to be large. My eBooks in PDF format are between 8 and 10 times larger than similar .mobi books. Are you sure your SD card can hold all your 500 books?

I've never sent any PDFs to my Kindle since unfortunately it can't read them and the conversion software doesn't do a very decent job on them.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Might be his problem. but still it can take a long time to send 4 gigs. My sd card is 32 gigs and its a fast one... even at that its time consuming when your talking about 4+ gigs!

About pdf s, the sony can handle just fine. Personally dont even bother converting them anymore. Satisfied with the reflowable text... but it has some caveats... nothing is perfect i guess !

If you really need to convert i started using solid pdf converter, and it does a nice job. Again its not perfect but its the closest i ve come!
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #10
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you sending PDF files to the reader?
Yes. I am sending PDF files to the reader. 99% of my books are PDFs. I almost refuse to use any other format unless I have to
Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #11
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
PDF files tend to be large. My eBooks in PDF format are between 8 and 10 times larger than similar .mobi books. Are you sure your SD card can hold all your 500 books?

I've never sent any PDFs to my Kindle since unfortunately it can't read them and the conversion software doesn't do a very decent job on them.
Yes, my SD card should be able to store all the books I have. In any case, if it can't, a "disk full" error should come up.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #12
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1 View Post
Sending can be slow sometimes, but it also depends on the size of the files. I sent about 650 files to my device and they too kabout 4 gigs of space (some 100 megs lrf in there). First calibre seems to manage the files in the temp dir and then send them to the device. The first step takes maybe 30 min or less and then it starts sending.

Main problem with sony 505 or maybe even 700 (haven t tested on the later), is when you send such large files the collection data gets corrupted and all that remains is the number of books. There is a tool on this forum that allows you to create the xml so it shows the correct collections. Have yet to try it, but it might be a good option for sending large files!

Edit: Here is the software that creates the xml : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29217

Might be the only solution to keep collection data in! (could maybe be a nice idea for a pluggin for someone who knows python.)
Hmm...yes, I think the collection data has gotten corrupted but from what and how I don't know. In any case, I have accidentally deleted my entire ebook library and now have to re-add the books. Luckily I have copies of all my books elsewhere because I'm managing the books in two ways:
1. using Calibre to manage the books and send them to the PRS-700
2. using EndNote, a citation program, to keep copies of the book and maintain full citation so I can cite when I need to for my writing.

So, again, yes 99.99% of my books are PDFs files. I basically refuse to use other formats unless I have to because I think PDFs is a universal format not only for readers but for computers too. In addition, it is a format that's true to the actual book layout which is important to me if I want to be able to properly cite a piece of work for scholarly uses.

Oh, by the way, that programme you linked to is for PCs only. While I can run PC under virtualisation (using Parallels) on a Mac, I'd rather not because it's such a hassle flipping back and forth from Mac to PC and back again.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 04-18-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:19 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
0.5.7 has a new set metadata feature for PDF files that can sometimes hang. This will be fixed in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:56 AM   #14
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
0.5.7 has a new set metadata feature for PDF files that can sometimes hang. This will be fixed in the next release.
Oh okay. Well, might as well start all over again since there were some PDF files that I wanted to add bookmarks to to ease navigation. I hope the new release comes soon