Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If copying is what we do best whya ren't we all rich and famous. Why aren't our children clones of perfect children.

Copying is for the lazy, dishonest and the non-creative. It is not something to aspire to. If it is what you do best, then by all means copy as you are probably severely limited by lack of intelligence in your other options in life. Some people just are through no fault of their own.

Helen
We hope to improve with every copy by making small variations when possible...

Meaning, "Good artists copy, great artists steal."
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Copying is for the lazy, dishonest and the non-creative. It is not something to aspire to. If it is what you do best, then by all means copy as you are probably severely limited by lack of intelligence in your other options in life. Some people just are through no fault of their own.
Trouble is, where's the dividing line between creativity and copying parts of something?

I read H. P. Lovecraft. I watch Power Rangers. I decide to do a mashup involving a Power Rangers- type squad working for Nyarlathotep. Am I being creative, or am I a hack?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Trouble is, where's the dividing line between creativity and copying parts of something?

I read H. P. Lovecraft. I watch Power Rangers. I decide to do a mashup involving a Power Rangers- type squad working for Nyarlathotep. Am I being creative, or am I a hack?
No trouble at all.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
Do you think the judge comparing a video game to a screenplay is unreasonable? Is a video game like other works of creation, like novels or screenplays, or is it different?

Do you think changes in "plot, theme, dialogue, mood, setting, pace, and character" have value?
I think the comparison breaks down. With a screenplay you have one definite ending to the story and you know exactly what, where and how it ends. A game can have multiple endings that don't necessarily all have the same result. I don't think you can copyright a theme either. If that is possible then the makers of "West Side Story" should have been charged with a crime for using the same theme as William Shakespeare. After all the basic story is an updating of Romeo and Juliet. And what of Jaws? The idea of a hunt for a dangerous sea creature was in Moby Dick long before Mr. Benchley wrote his book. There are only so many themes and plots. It's the setting and characters that make one story different from another.

Last edited by crich70; 10-19-2012 at 10:54 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #20
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think the comparison breaks down. With a screenplay you have one definite ending to the story and you know exactly what, where and how it ends. A game can have multiple endings that don't necessarily all have the same result. I don't think you can copyright a theme either. If that is possible then the makers of "West Side Story" should have been charged with a crime for using the same theme as William Shakespeare. After all the basic story is an updating of Romeo and Juliet. And what of Jaws? The idea of a hunt for a dangerous sea creature was in Moby Dick long before Mr. Benchley wrote his book. There are only so many themes and plots. It's the setting and characters that make one story different from another.
I don't think so. Would you categorize a school for young wizards as a theme or a plot?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post

You'd not be a hack. I'd be wanting to subscribe to your newsletter, for that idea would be fascinating.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote