Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free books (nook) - Barnes & Noble Classics Free Fridays for the Holidays [US-only]

Well, the B&N Classics promotion is back, for the next couple of weeks, at least.

As a special Free Fridays bonus until Christmas Eve, B&N will be once again offering a weekly freebie title from their excellent Barnes & Noble Classics series, which adds scholarly introductions, footnotes, and follow-up cultural impact essays to classic books.

These are really nice editions which normally cost $1.99-$2.99 each and are well worth the download.

This week's title is Grimm's Fairy Tales, which, if I recall correctly, is an illustrated version.
^
For some reason, continues to be free. Grab it while it's still $0.00, if you haven't already.
____

As anticipated, the final Free Fridays Holiday Bonus is Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

This is not the B&N Classics version, but a "Barnes & Noble Edition" different from the A Christmas Carol, The Chimes & The Cricket on the Hearth collection which was part of the summer B&N Classics promo.

However, it's still got (brief) endnotes and an introduction by Grace Moore, who teaches at the University of Melbourne in Australia and writes non-fiction about Victorian times, and it includes several additional of Dickens' Christmas short stories which are not in the other volume.

So it's a nice bonus version to have in your e-book library. Thanks, B&N!

Happy holidays, everyone, and remember the reason for the season! (Axial tilt.)
____

This being an Xmas-specific promotion, B&N'll probably have some heartwarming holiday tales like A Christmas Carol and Selected Stories from O. Henry coming up, though hopefully they'll add one or two that won't be repeats from the earlier summer promo. I'll be sure to bump up this thread as they arrive.

In the meantime, you can download an additional 12 B&N Classics free just for downloading their NookStudy app, which comes with a free College Kick-Start Kit which also includes some useful SparkCharts by the people who brought you SparkNotes.

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-24-2010 at 02:12 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Maybe you can help the slow learners.

Okay, I have downloaded or ATTEMPTED to download the free books you listed.

But they are not "downloading" to my computer. Do I need PC-compatible software to actually get these books on my computer?

Thanks in advance
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Maybe you can help the slow learners.

Okay, I have downloaded or ATTEMPTED to download the free books you listed.

But they are not "downloading" to my computer. Do I need PC-compatible software to actually get these books on my computer?

Thanks in advance
I didn't have any problem.

Do you have an account at B&N? If not, then they may not let you download the books. You probably have to sign up to get the freebies. That I can't test.

Otherwise, I just clicked on the picture, which took me to the order page, then ordered it and then the download page, then hit 'download' and save it to a folder on my hard drive.

What are you seeing?
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Do I need PC-compatible software to actually get these books on my computer?
Nope, but you do need a Barnes & Noble website account with a valid US shipping/billing address entered (not necessarily one you live at; they don't bother to check) before their system will let you get the books. (Also a credit card # which they won't actually charge but just use for encoding their easily liberated social DRM and a US or Canadian IP address which can be supplied via VPN proxy, but that's beside the point.)

Once you've gotten their "Thank you for purchasing X book, your price was $0.00" message after you click the "Download Now" button for your free books (or the "You have already bought this NOOKbook" if it's a second attempt), you can then get the actual e-book files in one of 3 ways:

1) Download directly via your browser from the My NOOK Library page. If you are on Windows and/or presumably Linux, this will give you an ePub file.

If you are on a Mac, you will get a PDB file and for ePub, you will have to tell your browser to spoof a Windows user-agent string when visiting the B&N website (there's an add-on for Firefox which does this, or maybe you can set it directly in the Advanced Preferences) or use one of the other methods below.

Oh, and if you're trying to download via Firefox and have the ePubReader add-on installed already, you'll have to use another browser or disable the add-on just long enough to get your downloads. The ePubReader add-on tends to automatically try to put any ePubs into its own catalogue location rather than your regular download folder, and if it's a DRM-ePub, it'll fail to retrieve it.

2) Download via the NOOKStudy app mentioned above, which works for both Windows and for 10.6 Snow Leopard Macs.

3) Download via the free NOOK for PC app. This works under Wine for non-10.6 Intel Macs and presumably for Linux, too.

Most of B&N's books do have their special B&N-DRM, which is easily removed. But if you would rather read them without stripping, you'll need a NOOK app installed for your computer or smartphone, or have a nook or JetBookLite reader.

The Samhain romance freebies are DRM-free and can be read on or converted for any platform without hassle.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I've got it - I used IE and then I could DOWNLOAD. Firefox was just looping me.

THANKS
Old 11-26-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard

Well, I managed to download but the free books seem to have drm and calibre can't convert to kindle format.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard

Well yes, most of B&N's books except the ones from Samhain Publishing have DRM, as mentioned above. It's pretty easy to remove, mind you, especially compared to the other types.

The three free B&N Classics titles that should be in your library which are DRM-free and will convert without problems are Little Women, Pride & Prejudice, and Dracula.

Last edited by ATDrake; 11-27-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Add the 3 DRM-free B&N Classics which they give you as a bonus for signing up an account with them.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
jyl
Enthusiast
jyl began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK, JE200
Quote:
In the meantime, you can download an additional 12 B&N Classics free just for downloading their NookStudy app, which comes with a free College Kick-Start Kit which also includes some useful SparkCharts by the people who brought you SparkNotes.
how do you claim the 12 classic books after downloading the nokstudy app?
jyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
how do you claim the 12 classic books after downloading the nokstudy app?
Go to Nook Study, click on a) download free, b) download now, and c) Download your FREE College Kick-Start Kit. This gives you a web page with 12 ebooks. I clicked on the ones I wanted. You may need a Nook account first. I did not actually download Nook Study, but I already have it installed.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
jyl
Enthusiast
jyl began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK, JE200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Go to Nook Study, click on a) download free, b) download now, and c) Download your FREE College Kick-Start Kit. This gives you a web page with 12 ebooks. I clicked on the ones I wanted. You may need a Nook account first. I did not actually download Nook Study, but I already have it installed.
thank you very much! I downloaded all of them
jyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Argh. Why is it that they remember you, but when you click buy (or download) you have to enter in your password (which I can't remember)

(Anyway, I keep getting these B&N freebies in hopes I will someday manage to figure out how to remove the DRM from them...)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
(Anyway, I keep getting these B&N freebies in hopes I will someday manage to figure out how to remove the DRM from them...)
If you're on a Mac it's now astonishing easy to do. But I can't give you a link.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you're on a Mac it's now astonishing easy to do. But I can't give you a link.
It takes about 2 seconds on the PC as well.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Is there a list of what the 12 books are? I balked at installing yet another program without knowing what I was getting.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard

You don't actually have to install the program; just click the download link so that they automatically kick you over to the "Thanks for downloading, now here's your free stuff!" page afterwards.

The free classics you get with NookStudy's College Kick-Start Kit are:
  • Age of Innocence (Wharton)
  • Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass
  • Beautiful and the Damned (Fitzgerald)
  • Beowulf
  • Canterbury Tales
  • Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson
  • Inferno (Dante)
  • Leaves of Grass (Whitman)
  • Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass
  • Republic (Plato)
  • The Scarlet Letter
  • Waste Land and Other Poems (Eliot)

Plus there's a zip file of PDF SparkCharts for Biology, Chemistry, etc.

You also get 3 free (and for some reason, DRM-free) B&N Classics when you sign up an account at their website.
  • Dracula
  • Little Women
  • Pride & Prejudice

So that makes a total of 15 permafreebie Classics, which is nice for people who want to try them out.