Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Dismemberment by Richard Herley

I just finished reading and would like to recommend Richard Herley's short book Dismemberment.

It is free at Smashwords
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
That's fine. I'm glad you like it. If you disliked it, I would be just as happy for you.

Now: Why not tell us WHY you like this book.

How does it speak to you?
Why might I [or Sally or Bob, or Juan or Esmeralda, like it also]?
In what way does the book resonate with you?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-17-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's fine. I'm glad you like it. If you disliked it, I would be just as happy for you.

Now: Why not tell us WHY you like this book.

How does it speak to you?
Why might I [or Sally or Bob, or Juan or Esmeralda, like it also]?
In what way does the book resonate with you?
I'll do my best... I'm not very good at book reviews.

Although Smashwords classify it as Thriller & Suspence, it is more a psychological novel (a genre I like) in my opinion.

The story starts with a fairly common plot: a night-time intruder is killed by the homeowner, husband and wife decide against informing the Police for fear of being charged with murder and plan how to get rid of the body. From then on, the focus is on the effects of the events on the way they see each other and on their relationship.

Well, that's the best I can manage...
Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok - Now that sounds interesting to me.

I'm going to further check it out.

Thank you!

ADDED: I just now downloaded it! -- Thanks, again.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I'm almost finished with reading this fine novel, and I will have to say that this is very much a literary novel, one that explores a couple's disintegrating, fragmenting ("dismembered") relationship.

This is a true horror novel that I highly recommend.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #6
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm almost finished with reading this fine novel, and I will have to say that this is very much a literary novel, one that explores a couple's disintegrating, fragmenting ("dismembered") relationship.

This is a true horror novel that I highly recommend.
If you enjoyed Richard Herley's writing, have a look at The Drowning. Before you ask me why should you read it, here is the blurb:

Quote:
May 1944: dawn in the Bay of Biscay. A U-boat lies crippled on the seabed. Within earshot of the warship that sank her, a solitary survivor breaks the surface. Injured, in shock, hypothermic, his life-vest torn, he cries out for help.

The captain is on the bridge and brings his binoculars to bear.

The order he gives sets off a train of consequences reaching down through the landscape of post-war, post-colonial Britain, changing not only his own life and the lives of his men, but those of civilians ashore and of children yet unborn.

Spanning seventy years, set in England and in Nigeria during the Biafran crisis, this is a sweeping, compulsive story about conscience and selfishness and the far-reaching damage that cruelty can do.
Available at Smashwords for $4.99.

Last edited by Pablo; 03-22-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you for the suggestion on reading Herley's "The Drowning." I'm going to go ahead and get that.

I just finished "Dismemberment," and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it's a very fine novel, one that transcends genre.

I highly recommend this novel.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-22-2015 at 10:57 AM.