Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #121
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Pingu View Post
I installed the Kobo Desktop for Linux Beta application on an up-to-date Debian Testing system with the KDE 4.4 desktop environment but when run from the command line the following error occurred: "Cannot mix incompatible Qt libraries".
Hi Mal Pingu,

Are you running /usr/bin/Kobo? This file sets some library paths for you before launching the application.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #122
snmilliken
snmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo,Kobo Vox & BB Playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Hi Mal Pingu,

Are you running /usr/bin/Kobo? This file sets some library paths for you before launching the application.
Mal,

Have been getting the same error, no one really seems to have an answer. All suggestions in this thread have not worked.
snmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #123
DutchRaider
DutchRaider began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi JCKobo,

FANTASTIC ! Love to have a pre-release of Kobo software for Debian, and do more beta-testing for you as well. So if you can send the release for X86-32 Bit - Debian/Ubuntu is just fine, and any other linux release I can also handle. Keep up the good work for Linux , just the better OS. DR.
DutchRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #124
michealdrc
michealdrc began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
I would Love a copy of the KOBO ereader software for Linux! I'm using UBUNTU 10.04 right now!

Thanks In Advance
michealdrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #125
durruti
durruti began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealdrc View Post
I would Love a copy of the KOBO ereader software for Linux! I'm using UBUNTU 10.04 right now!

Thanks In Advance
I downloaded the .deb file here:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/k...le-for-ubuntu/

actually, here's the direct link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb
durruti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #126
michealdrc
michealdrc began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Kobo Linus distro

Hi
I am currently running UBUNTU 10.04 and I would Love a copy of the 32 bit KOBO ereader desktop distro.

Where could I DL this or get a copy?

Thanks
Mike
michealdrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #127
Stuart_L
Stuart_L began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, EeePC w/ FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmilliken View Post
Mal,

Have been getting the same error, no one really seems to have an answer. All suggestions in this thread have not worked.
I too am getting the "Cannot mix incompatible Qt libraries" , but I have discovered that it runs fine when logged in as root. I'm gonna try hacking around a bit this evening, maybe I can figure it out ?!?! running deb/testing here.
Stuart_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #128
Stuart_L

ok, in hopes that someone can use the information I have gathered to come up with a solution. I tried running Kobo from /usr/local/Kobo , it complained about the lack of libQtSolutions_IOCompressor-2.3.so.1 , so I symlinked Compressor into /lib . Tried running again, this time complaining about lack of libQtSolutions_SingleApplication-2.6.so.1 , so I symlinked SingleApp into /lib . Tried running again, complaining about lack of libnickel.so.1 , symlink nickel into /lib .... Tried running again .... now we get the incompatible QT library complaint.

An other thing I noticed is that deb/testing is using QT 4.6.3 and kobo desktop comes with QT 4.6.2

BUT, Kobo desktop runs fine when I run as su (root) , so I have to wonder if my regular user account is running a program which uses a QT library which is incompatible with libnickel . Somehow this does not effect other users (root) when running the Kobo desktop.

Open for suggestions
Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #129
DutchRaider
DutchRaider began at the beginning.

when kobo is installed it has an executable in /usr/bin/Kobo You need to run it from there instead of /usr/local. I run Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS without any strange problems except for 1 missing library which had to do with compressed files. Once I fixed that by installing the right software, it just works. TJ
DutchRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #130
snmilliken
snmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo,Kobo Vox & BB Playbook
It runs fine on my Ubuntu 10.10 install also. But main computer is a Debian based one called Mepis. With this, I still get the same library errors, running as root or user.
snmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #131
Stuart_L

I was running from /usr/local because it game me more detailed error information. The /usr/bin script works fine with root, after I set up the symlinks.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #132
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The new Linux desktop is here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb

Per Kobo: "You may recognize the URL as the one that's been floating around the Kobo MR forum for a number of months. Please note that this is specifically for Ubuntu systems. Using programs like 'alien' to convert it to an RPM may or may not let you upgrade your eReader to 1.8 since we rely on 'udev' to look for its rule files in certain spots."
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #133
ksng
ksng began at the beginning.

Device: stanza
Question Kobo ereader's working funny on ipod

Hi Kobo team,

I got a question for you. I created an ePUB file tested in ADE (desktop) and ibook on my ipod and it's working perfectly fine but when i tested it on Kobo on my ipod, there is some problems that I encountered so I'm just wondering whether it's the Kobo issue? The following is the problems that I have when i tested my file on Kobo.

1) TOC not linked to the correct header
2) There is a duplicated chapter, for example I see 2 same chapters appear on Kobo but not on other ereaders.

Your reply will be very much appreciated.
cheers!
ksng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #134
tajreed
Enthusiast
tajreed began at the beginning.

Device: none
New Ubuntu ereader

No luck after installation. "cannot open shared object file: libzip.zo.1 no such file or directory.

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks
tajreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #135
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksng View Post
Hi Kobo team,

I got a question for you. I created an ePUB file tested in ADE (desktop) and ibook on my ipod and it's working perfectly fine but when i tested it on Kobo on my ipod, there is some problems that I encountered so I'm just wondering whether it's the Kobo issue? The following is the problems that I have when i tested my file on Kobo.

1) TOC not linked to the correct header
2) There is a duplicated chapter, for example I see 2 same chapters appear on Kobo but not on other ereaders.

Your reply will be very much appreciated.
cheers!
You've run into a known bug in our iPhone and iPad apps where by they don't properly use the opf file for forward/backward navigation.

If you finish a chapter, instead of going to the next item in the opf, it tries to go to the next item in the ncx.

If the next item in the NCX is an anchor within the same chapter, it ends up just loading the same chapter.

This is caused by another bug where we don't handle anchors in TOCs properly.

The anchor bug is fixed in our next release - it is with Apple now, so it should be ready in a day or so.

The OPF problem is a bigger one. The team is working on it, but I don't have a specific end date.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software