Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
grzy7316
grzy7316 doesn't littergrzy7316 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505, iPod Touch, Palm Zire m150
Idea to fix screen glare on PRS 600

I have an idea for how to fix the glare on my prs 600. I am not sure if it is feasible or not, but figured I would ask for advice here. I was thinking of taking some jewelers sandpaper, the really fine stuff, but not so fine as to put a shine on something, and gently going over the screen. my only worry is if this would effect the touchscreen. There seems to be two layers of screens, I just don't know what is what.
grzy7316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I wouldn't do this. Scratching the surface will cause the light falling onto the display to go totally undirected somewhere. So I would anticipate that readability strongly drops below what you currently see as glare. But that's just my 2 cents.
If you try out and it works, let us know, but I wouldn't want to be the first one to try. I mean from a cost point of view if you have to get a new reader...
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I wonder if anything you use that is fine enough to not leave scratches would more polish the screen rather than slightly dull it down. Thus you'd worsen the glare problem, not make it better. Anything that was rough enough to dull the glass rather than polish it would likely leave visible swirls and other random patterns that would probably drive you nuts. I'd certainly try this out on a random piece of glass (or better yet, try it on a clear sheet of acrylic or plastic - is the top screen layer on the Sony actually glass, or is it a plastic material?) just to see what happens first.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
andyotter
andyotter began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300,PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzy7316 View Post
I was thinking of taking some jewelers sandpaper, the really fine stuff, but not so fine as to put a shine on something, and gently going over the screen. my only worry is if this would effect the touchscreen. There seems to be two layers of screens, I just don't know what is what.
This sounds very scary and perhaps terminal for the screen.
As it happens, I was visiting the forum today to find out opinions about the "glare" on the PRS-600.
Looking back over past threads it seems to be an issue that users get very exercised about, both those who are bothered by it and those who think the former are getting fussed about nothing!
Before trying something irreversible like sandpaper, these might be worth trying:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandrolauva View Post
They are the Sony PRSA-CL6 lighted cover and the Lexerd TrueVue Anti-glare screen protector.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
-the Lexerd being q.cheap and removeable if you don't like it.
I've just bought a s/hand 600 with a screen protector already fitted, so I came looking to find out whether some protectors were less glossy than others. Anyone out there got sufficiently exercised to try different screen protectors?

Personally, I find it a problem when there's light coming from different sources. I thought khalleron put it well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
While the glare problem did depend on the lighting, the 505 screen is so much clearer, it 'disappears' while I'm reading.
- for me, reading the PRS-300 is a real pleasure as I feel there's nothing between me and the words: the PRS-600, in certain lights, doesn't let me do this; it feels like I'm looking through a sheet of glass and that gets in the way; the reading equivalent of a chair that you find yourself continually shifting position to get comfortable, or the difference between seeing a vase in a cabinet and being able to actually pick it up .
So while I'm very happy for those who don't find glare/reflection a problem, I like you am willing to pursue solutions for this off-putting feature.
Unlike you, I'm not brave enough to try such drastic measures!
andyotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Quote:
I was thinking of taking some jewelers sandpaper, the really fine stuff, but not so fine as to put a shine on something, and gently going over the screen. my only worry is if this would effect the touchscreen. There seems to be two layers of screens, I just don't know what is what.
To me, it appears the glass screen is underneath a plastic film, and the plastic film riding over glass is what provides the touch function. In this case, I doubt sanding the film substance would improve the clarity. I really don't think anything good would come from sanding or polishing the touch screen layer.

I'm just hoping that whatever comes after the 600-900's has clarity like my 505, although I do enjoy the features of my 600.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
The glass is underneath the plastic film. Touch the screen and you can see the surface bend a little.

I'm waiting for a reader that has the size of the 600/505/300 but offers a screen real estate of about 10". Something like a real book where you can have two pages side by side for books and landscape for letter sized stuff. That would come in handy.

Right now, there's only such devices offering some lcd on one side and e-ink on the other. I don't need that. I really love battery runtime with e-ink. Something like an I-pad with about 14hrs would be a dealbreaker for me.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
I went with the 300 for this reason. There is an extra layer of plastic on the touch screen version. I would not mess with it... Trouble will follow if you do.
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
I have an idea for how to fix the glare on my prs 600. I am not sure if it is feasible or not, but figured I would ask for advice here. I was thinking of taking some jewelers sandpaper, the really fine stuff, but not so fine as to put a shine on something, and gently going over the screen. my only worry is if this would effect the touchscreen. There seems to be two layers of screens, I just don't know what is what.
That sounds scary. Why don't you try out an anti-glare screen protector first, like andyotter suggested. The glare didn't bother me on my PRS 600, but I still have a screen protector on there and I have no problems with it.
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
zilyal
Connoisseur
zilyal began at the beginning.

Device: PB 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyotter View Post

Anyone out there got sufficiently exercised to try different screen protectors?
Forkosigan (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=37926) tried quite a few different protectors before chosing the best one for the Pocketbook 302 - maybe he'll tell you, which they were?
zilyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
andyotter
andyotter began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300,PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilyal View Post
Forkosigan (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=37926) tried quite a few different protectors before chosing the best one for the Pocketbook 302 - maybe he'll tell you, which they were?
Thanks for that, zilyal.
As it happens, I discovered my partner's ring stone had damaged the screen protector fitted to my 600, so I removed it only to discover that it was considerably adding to the reflections!
Think I might try the Lexerd and see how that goes....
andyotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
zilyal
Connoisseur
zilyal began at the beginning.

Device: PB 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyotter View Post
... only to discover that it was considerably adding to the reflections!
Think I might try the Lexerd and see how that goes....
That was probably the type that only protects against scratches without any anti-glare couting (which does lessen the contrast a bit). Good luck with the Lexerd!
zilyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
same problem here. fwiw i had to take my unit apart due to casing damage and the touch screen is part of the front cover.

Interestingly there is an air gap between the glass and e-ink, perhaps this could be fixed with some sort of gel?

-A
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #13
princ3ssjasmin
princ3ssjasmin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
At first touch and after a few books, I loved my sony reader immediately. It was like love at first sight.

Because of how I loved it, I had to give it added protection. I bought a screen protector.

Oh gosh. That was when things turned sour.

I suddenly began hating my reader. There was so much glare/reflection i could barely stand it. I was looking up for a kindle on ebay. Seriously.

Thats when i freakingly took off the screen protector.

And now, I have begun loving it again. I couldn't even notice the glare/reflection. Since I still enjoyed it with a terrible glare/reflection (due to the screen protector) a little glare left seems like no harm.

Call it a strategy, but I have no eyes for any other reader. I ♥ my reader, I named him SONY
princ3ssjasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #14
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by princ3ssjasmin View Post
I suddenly began hating my reader. There was so much glare/reflection i could barely stand it. I was looking up for a kindle on ebay. Seriously.
That's more or less what happened to me, but without screen protector
I love the 600's features, but I cannot stand the glare anymore.
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have a PRS900. Some screen protectors are better than others. I wish I could recall what the last one I bought was called - but at the third try, I got a good one. The touchscreen is still responsive (no change), the glare did not completely disappear, but it's barely noticeable (where before, it got really annoying). And the screen is protected from scratches.

But it took a couple of tries. The last one, I ordered from Amazon, but I can't find the name of right now. It was the third try... it's a washable screen protector (like, it can be reapplied).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote