Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
NYT: Will Amazon Become the Wal-mart of the Web

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/bu...nted=1&_r=1&hp

Not specifically on ebooks or Kindle, but it is a fascinating overview of Amazon's business practices/strategies, and has some eye-opening comparisons with other retailers, who are starting to copy Amazon's etailing model of allowing other vendors to share its website (and customers).
Looks like Amazon is here to stay.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
NYT: Will Amazon Become the Wal-mart of the Web
Yes. Possibly as early as several years ago!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
yup...eBay basically destroyed their business in a futile attempt to become Aamzon South. So today the market there is just a train wreck.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
yup...eBay basically destroyed their business in a futile attempt to become Aamzon South. So today the market there is just a train wreck.
EBay had some really poor poor management over the last few years. Strangely the CEO was used by one of the political organisations in the US as an example of great female 'leadership' in the IT sector.

Amazon are in a much better position than EBay in my opinion.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Yeah, I used to buy there fairly regularly, and sell sometimes, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot-pole now.

Haven't tried to sell anything on the Amazon marketplace, but have bought there with no complaints.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Haven't tried to sell anything on the Amazon marketplace, but have bought there with no complaints.
It's (and it must be deliberate) not economic for casual sellers to use the marketplace, but it's fine for business sellers.

Ebay are in the process of canibalising their own market..shame there's no deacent replacement!
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I agree with this article!! and also the replies.. amazon ftw!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Has been for a long time, as they have generally very good prices and they carry damn near everything I'd ever want to order online. So I've had an Amazon Visa for a few years to earn $25 Gift Cards since I can get about anything from there.

And best of all--no dealing with the riff raff you run into in Wal-mart. As good as Wal-mart's prices are, I seldom go in one as I'd rather pay a bit more at Target to avoid the hassle of Wal-mart.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
*huge shrug*

Probably. After all, Australia doesn't have a Walmart, so it seems only right that we don't have an Amazon...

nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I'm not buying the comparison. You can buy a lot of quality stuff from Amazon. Every time I go looking for something at Walmart, it just seems like they sell a lot of cheap crap.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I'm not buying the comparison. You can buy a lot of quality stuff from Amazon. Every time I go looking for something at Walmart, it just seems like they sell a lot of cheap crap.
I think the implied comparison is quantity and variety of items to choose from - and hugeness of the vendor. I agree - Amazon has the quality - and back it up.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
And best of all--no dealing with the riff raff you run into in Wal-mart. As good as Wal-mart's prices are, I seldom go in one as I'd rather pay a bit more at Target to avoid the hassle of Wal-mart.
Who you callin' riff raff, Willis?

What do you mean "Will"?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #13
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Actually, that's pretty much why I like the comparison. Amazon keep sending me emails trying to sell me cheap crap...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote