Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
carlosg
carlosg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
uploading annotations to PC

I'm considering a PRS-700.
If I make annotations on a pdf on the device, can I upload the annotated pdf back to the PC?
I would like to be able to make annotations on papers and then email these annotated papers to other people.

Thanks!
carlosg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
ddave
Enthusiast
ddave began at the beginning.

Device: none
carlosg,
that would be handy indeed! From what little I know about ereaders so far (I'm still learning) I doubt you could modify the PDF file, but maybe an auxiliary text file could be generated that contains your annotations together with a reference to the relevant part of the document?
Anybody have any ideas or input?
ddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
PDF annotation on the PRS-700 is different than the kind of PDF annotation you're talking about.

On Adobe Acrobat Professional, you can directly annotate PDFs and these annotations are saved directly to the PDF files themselves as part of the PDFs.

In the PRS-700's implementation of annotations (whether for PDFs or for other file formats) the annotations are not part of the original file but are rather something separate.

Give that, what you originally wanted to do won't work. Disappointing, yes? I know.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
carlosg
carlosg began at the beginning.

I see, thanks for the replies.

From what I understand, it seems that the irex digital reader can do something like this, though I may be wrong. It's surprising that you can't do it on the Sony.
carlosg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
From my experience in making PDF documents for design work - the software/implementation is different. Basically when you comment on a PDF - the Adobe Acrobat software updates the PDF itself.

With the 700 the annotation is a referential one stored in a separate XML file. Which is nice in the sense that you can annotate multiple file types. However, is kinda limiting for the particular document editing you are wanting to do.

Cheers,
J
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
dda
dda began at the beginning.

I have had my PRS-700 for a week or two now. I was expecting (as several people have said in this thread) that the annotations would be in a separate XML file.
The XML annotation file can easily be accessed back on your PC.

BUT, I must say that the lack of any sensible way of:

1. creating annotations on the device
2. uploading the annotations to the PC
3. printing or saving the annotations in a nice format

is VERY disappointing.

What does SONY think we are creating these annotations for?
dda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
dda

Since my last post I have been examining the .annot files on the SONY PRS-700.

I can see that in the case of unencrypted (non-DRM) PDF files, the XML that needs to be extracted is reasonably straightforward. I can see where the ID for "highlight" or "bookmark" is stored, and also where the "hi-lighted text" and/or the "annotation text" is stored.

For other formats, it is not so easy. The BBeB format, for example (as well as having many of the items in different locations) has the "hi-lighted text" in some sort of encryption. So I guess only SONY or ADOBE (or a clever hacker) can write the extractor code for this format.

Clearly an "annotation extractor" (better for some formats that others) can be written. Does anyone know of any activity in this area? (By SONY or anyone else).
Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
dda

I withdraw most of what I said previously.
When I turn my attention away from the "Digital Editions" folder (in the root of my SD card - which is where nearly all my books are kept).... and turn instead to the "Sony Reader" folder.......
I find two files:
cache.xml which contains all the bookmarks
cacheExt.xml which contains all the annotations

The data rendering is not perfect (some highlighted text will be lost - it seems the max stored is about 100 characters or so).

The good news is that in these files, the format is the same for all the different eBooks supported.

These means that a mere XSLT transform file should be able to ZAP these two files into a nice HTML presentation of the bookbarks and annotations of all the books on the SD card.

If I get a chance to try this some time I will report back. If anyone else tries it first I would love to hear.

The good news is that your annotations and bookmarks are not locked forever in some proprietary format..... you can look forward to being able to import them into HTML (and thence to any RTF editor).

I am sure a lot of us will feel easier about that..... to know that you will be able to use your bookmarks and annotations when writing essays or whatever.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
The note taking capabilities of the 700 is the main reason I'm very interested in this reader.

That, and I've been told I'm a Sony fan-boy.

But seriously, thanks for the hands-on info you've found out so far, dda. Definitely helps with questions I've got before this "investment" gets made!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote