Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #31
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Haven't tried the app, but simply:
Code:
ssh root@kindle
mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bak
touch /var/local/adunits
works on 5.0.4.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #32
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
It is working on my 5.0.4
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #33
ldai
ldai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
EDIT:
As you can see in post 4, Emrexcem posted some code. I finally got around to testing it, and I am blown away. Turns out it fundamentally remakes the kindle into a non-ad version, allowing us to be able to use YiFanLu's custom screensaver mod - http://yifan.lu/p/custom-screensaver/

Old post in spoiler.
Spoiler:
pathartl found a way to quickly and easily remove ads.
http://pathartl.me/5387/remove-ads-on-kindle-touch
However, on my kindle they keep popping back up. Using YiFanLu's GUI launcher, we can make a toggle for this.

What I did:
Downloaded pathartl's files
Restructured so that they will work with the GUI launcher
Wrote a menu and a config file
DONE

---Instructions---
1. Install YiFanLu's GUI Launcher - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161263
2. extract the AdToggle zip into the extensions folder
3. Reboot
4. Go to Menu --> Launcher --> Toggle Ads. They will be removed forever.

Restoring ads
1. Open extensions/AdToggle/bin/toggleads.sh
2. comment out the first chunk of code (labelled as removing ads)
3. delete the # mark in front of the second chunk of code (labelled as restoring ads)
4. Run the script as in step 4 above.
5. (or just use v2.1, there are two profiles for this.)

Optionally just SSH in and delete /var/local/adunits, then move /var/local/adunits.bkp to /var/local/adunits

Custom Screensaver
Install YiFanLu's custom screen saver, and follow the instructions.
http://yifan.lu/p/custom-screensaver/

Download:
v2.1 has two profiles, hide and show
v2.0 just removes them, if you want them back you should edit the script
v1.5 is legacy, for those who want to keep their bottom banner

---
http://ebookjuggler.com/kindle/remov...-kindle-touch/
^ My site.
something wrong with AdToggle_2.1_two-profiles.zip
should change profile1/ to bin/
now it is perfect, thank you!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #34
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldai View Post
something wrong with AdToggle_2.1_two-profiles.zip
should change profile1/ to bin/
now it is perfect, thank you!
Thank you! I forgot to test it, silly me. Added v2.2!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #35
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Anyone tried to activate Ads on a no-ad Touch?

UPDATE: does not work, as expected. Ads removed by Amazon can not be reactivated by this tool. Did not backup the "ads-folder" from my KSO Touch (until one hour ago) so anybody able to upload this adunits? Would like to recheck if I can activate the ads after having a non-ad Touch.

Last edited by diba; 04-04-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #36
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Anyone tried to activate Ads on a no-ad Touch?

UPDATE: does not work, as expected. Ads removed by Amazon can not be reactivated by this tool. Did not backup the "ads-folder" from my KSO Touch (until one hour ago) so anybody able to upload this adunits? Would like to recheck if I can activate the ads after having a non-ad Touch.
From what I gather, you need the adunits, and also the /usr/share/blanket/ad_screensaver as well as /mnt/us/system/.assets folder. I'll send you a PM with my zips.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #37
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

That won't help much - you still would have to "feed" ads to the Kindle manually - Amazon won't do this as it thinks your device is no-SO.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #38
diba
Addict

Thats what I want to verity. During the weekend I will check this. Probably it is a mixture of push - pull.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #39
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
after AdToggle with 5.1.0 it's lost on/off button (its works, but screen dont change) After "RESTORE ADS" returns previous
Old 05-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #40
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar View Post
after AdToggle with 5.1.0 it's lost on/off button (its works, but screen dont change) After "RESTORE ADS" returns previous
Could you explain your issue in more detail please?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #41
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar View Post
Remove the custom screensaver hack. ( and use the simple-screensaver-hack instead)
Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #42
wrm
wrm began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrexcem View Post
/etc/init.d/framework stop
mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bkp
touch /var/local/adunits
/etc/init.d/framework start
Heh. So I finally figure it out, and it's not in the Wiki, so I come here to find you guys have known about it since February! :-)

I don't understand why the "touch /var/local/adunits"?

Specifically, from /etc/upstart/framework_setup.conf

env PLAIN_SCREENSAVER="screensaver"
env AD_SCREENSAVER="ad_screensaver"
env ADS_DIRECTORY="/var/local/adunits"
SS_LOADER="$PLAIN_SCREENSAVER"
# If the ads directory is present, use the ad screensaver
if [ -d "$ADS_DIRECTORY" ]; then
SS_LOADER="$AD_SCREENSAVER"
fi
f_blanket_load_module $SS_LOADER

In other words, if directory /var/local/adunits exists, the kindle will load the ads screensaver, otherwise, it'll be a non-ad kindle.

Does the existence of /var/local/adunits as a file stop something else creating /var/local/adunits as a directory, thereby reverting to ad-support?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #43
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrm View Post
Does the existence of /var/local/adunits as a file stop something else creating /var/local/adunits as a directory, thereby reverting to ad-support?
That file prevented creating the folder in old firmware, but it has been reported that the new firmware deletes that file.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #44
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrm View Post
- - -
I don't understand why the "touch /var/local/adunits"?
- - -
In other words, if directory /var/local/adunits exists, the kindle will load the ads screensaver, otherwise, it'll be a non-ad kindle.

Didn't you just answer your own question with a question?
Google: man touch
Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #45
wrm
wrm began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Didn't you just answer your own question with a question?
Google: man touch
Oh, I have a pretty good idea of what touch does, thankyouverymuch :-)

And strangely enough, my man for touch doesn't mention the side effect of touch which is relevant here.

But the point is that the script looks for a directory (google* man bash) which obviously won't be there (you having renamed it) -- so what is the point of creating a regular file of the same name?

Anywayz, thanks geekmaster, that's sort of what I thought -- that something else is trying to force it back into ad-supported mode, and the file thwarts it. Except on my kindle it worked (and continues to work) without the file (5.0.4).

* if you don't have at least one instance of bash open on your desktop...
Closed Thread

Tags
k_touch, pathartl, remove ads, yifanlu