Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
eInk v. Smart Phone

I apologize if this is not in the right place.

So, I got a Smart Phone in the summer that runs on Android and put both the Kindle and Kobo apps on it as well as the overdrive app for library books. I had been reading pretty exclusively on the phone for months and had read on the Kobo for several months before that. I have gone back to reading on my Kobo and would like to offer my thoughts on how they compare.

1. Battery Life: Kobo wins here. Smart Phones eat batteries when you're reading. I only get hours of life while unplugged with the phone. With the Kobo, I get days.

2. Distraction: I am way more likely to browse the Internet on my phone (I have Sprint so unlimited data) instead of read. I am a bit less ADHD when reading on the Kobo.

3. Night Light: Now, I liked reading in bed at night with the phone. Reminded me of reading with a flashlight under the covers as a kid. I got a little light for the Kobo now, though.

4. I hate reading on a touch screen! I was always skipping ahead and otherwise losing my place due to the phone's touch screen. My basic little Kobo WiFi doesn't have that problem. Also, if I fell asleep reading in bed with the phone, I would definitely lose my place and also maybe "butt dial" someone in my sleep.

5. Apps are nice: The Kobo app is fun and the Amazon app is pretty killer. It is fun to instantly read like that. I could buy directly from Kobo on the Kobo WiFi but the lack of a keyboard makes that hard. I always sideload from the computer to my Kobo. The Overdrive app is awesome, too.

6. Screen Size Matters: The screen on the cell phone is pretty small. I don't have a problem seeing small and it is a nice, clear screen but the Kobo's screen has that eInk book-like look and is closer to the size of a mass market paperback page (though still a bit smaller). I don't have to scroll as much.

Anyway, I am just fortunate to have those 2 devices. The phone makes a nice back-up reading device as well as kind of being a mini-tablet. I don't think I'll ever like reading on a touch-screen, though, and I need the greater battery life and like the larger screen size of the Kobo. How do touch screen peeps keep from losing their place?
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I, too, got a smartphone this summer, and my experience was nearly identical to yours, except with a Kindle instead of a Kobo. I use the Kindle app on the phone, and use it sometimes when I go to the park. In fact, part of the reason I got the phone was because I found myself carting my phone, my iPod, and my compact camera to the park. The smartphone does all of the above plus tracks my walking mileage. The idea to read on it came later.

I could never switch to reading on the phone exclusively or even often, but it's great when I find myself without my Kindle.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I read on my phone only when I don't have my Kobo Touch. It bugs my eyes a bit if I read to long on my phone.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I read on my phone a lot, that is why I bought a phone with a five inch screen.

I use reading apps that allow page turns using the volume buttons, that way I can avoid touchscreen hassles and read one handed.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
An e-ink reader moment in time...

OPen cover, slide power button and start reading....

bliss....

A smartphone moment in time....

Drag out my iphone for a bit of reading.

Fire up Stanza and get stuck into an Edgar Rice Burroughs omnibus gained free from Mobileread.

Five minutes of reading....enjoyable....

Minute 6 - SMS
Minute 7 - appointment reminder
Minute 11 - email notification pop-up
Minute 13 - Angry Birds!!!
Minute 14 - incoming phone call from lady wife...

Now in contrast with me e-ink ereader, I would STILL enjoying uninterrupted reading and not dismissing distracting pop-ups and pushing the answer call button

(well I would have got the phone out for that call!)

The e-ink vs backlit LCD is another debate entirely, but my eyes love e-ink!

Last edited by sabredog; 12-07-2011 at 01:27 AM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Dumb questions here, does the Overdrive app work for an Ipod touch? And how does it work without ADE or do you need that too? And where do I get it? I was checking out the Overdrive site yesterday and while it said it was there I couldn't make anything happen. Still not sure if I want to read on the Ipod ( I got it for audio books) but it would be good to have the option.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
eink. Sometimes I read on my iphone for conveniance, i.e im on a really crowded train and have no space to get out my kindle, or I often read on my iphone when i'm reading on the sly! e.g. I should be doing something else but I'm having a sneaky read. However 9 times out of 10 I read on my kindle.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Minute 6 - SMS
No such distractions here except for the occasional call and SMS. I have email set to manual so no annoying pop-ups/notifications. I'm very good at tuning out distractions when I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Dumb questions here, does the Overdrive app work for an Ipod touch? And how does it work without ADE or do you need that too? And where do I get it? I was checking out the Overdrive site yesterday and while it said it was there I couldn't make anything happen. Still not sure if I want to read on the Ipod ( I got it for audio books) but it would be good to have the option.
Yes, it does. You don't need ADE, you just download the Overdrive app from the App store. The Overdrive app handles all the authorization and stuff. You just visit the library directly from your iPod Touch and when you tap Download (for Adobe EPUB ebooks), it will automatically launch and download the ebook to Overdrive. Overdrive provides an easy to navigate mobile site so you could even do your browsing/search/check-out directly from your iPod Touch.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I don't exchange my real personal computer for nothing.

Thanks to so much propaganda in these forums favoring eInk devices, I've been tempted on and off to get at least a Kindle. But I don't really see any major benefit. Seems like a superficial gadget to invest, featuring as the only real benefit the battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Drag out my iphone for a bit of reading.

Fire up Stanza and get stuck into an Edgar Rice Burroughs omnibus gained free from Mobileread.

Five minutes of reading....enjoyable....

Minute 6 - SMS
We've done that jig already, right? Distractions are a part of everyday life, either SMS, videogames, TV, kids running amok while you're under your stereotypical kindle tree, birds singing etc.

It's up to you to ignore all of that if you wanna read. At least with a smartphone, it's as easy as uninstalling the damned Angry Birds and putting the network down with the touch of the Plane Mode button.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
When I'm reading stuff on my phone or the Nook Color (pretty much in the same category to me, anyhow), I'm pretty good about ignoring the other things that pop up on them like messages, emails, etc. If I sit down to read, that's what I'm going to do. I'll ignore MOST calls that come through since I don't want to be roped into doing free tech-support, listen to this TOTALLY AWESOME STORY that goes on for hours, or basically play On-Star for my "directionally challenged" pal.

At the least, with an eInk thing...I don't have to worry about too many other things.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'll ignore MOST calls that come through since I don't want to be roped into doing free tech-support, listen to this TOTALLY AWESOME STORY that goes on for hours, or basically play On-Star for my "directionally challenged" pal.
Unfortunately, the tech support for family, I have to do regardless of whether I'm reading on my PRS-350 or on my smartphone. Any phone calls (could be home or mobile) from family are answered right away, unless I'm in the bathroom. Thankfully, I'm anti-social enough that I don't need to deal with the rest.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Unfortunately, the tech support for family, I have to do regardless of whether I'm reading on my PRS-350 or on my smartphone. Any phone calls (could be home or mobile) from family are answered right away, unless I'm in the bathroom. Thankfully, I'm anti-social enough that I don't need to deal with the rest.
Time to wean family off of using you as tech support? I did that over a decade ago.

90% or more of my reading is phone-based because it's always with me. But even when I'm reading at home I'll go for the phone over the Nook, mostly because I read in bed while the wife is asleep and I've not yet found a book light that she can stand. The backlight from the phone does not keep her up, though.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
why do you even have a Nook then?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
why do you even have a Nook then?
Because I can?

It works great when on vacation, sitting poolside or on the beach in bright sunlight, where I wouldn't want to risk damaging my phone. It's also good for long plane flights where I may not have the ability to charge my phone mid-flight.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I don't exchange my real personal computer for nothing.

Thanks to so much propaganda in these forums favoring eInk devices, I've been tempted on and off to get at least a Kindle. But I don't really see any major benefit. Seems like a superficial gadget to invest, featuring as the only real benefit the battery life.
Yep, because they are the preferred method of reading ebooks. Got to love the emotive choice of words there.

Propaganda? Good grief.

Quote:
We've done that jig already, right? Distractions are a part of everyday life, either SMS, videogames, TV, kids running amok while you're under your stereotypical kindle tree, birds singing etc.
Yep because it is true. Oh, you forgot that your phone might be ringing as well.

Quote:
It's up to you to ignore all of that if you wanna read. At least with a smartphone, it's as easy as uninstalling the damned Angry Birds and putting the network down with the touch of the Plane Mode button.
Why would I disable a mobile's phone primary function to read a book? Very strange.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote