Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Harveytex
Harveytex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Multiple "Kindle for PC" accounts. Why?

Why do I have to register a new account every time I run Kindle for PC? It works after I register but every time I try to use it it will ask me to register again. I only have one Kindle but I now have multible Kindle for PC accounts. Anybody have an answer?
Harveytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Are you accidentally re-installing it or just opening it on your desktop?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Are they from the same pc? Every stand alone app acts as a kindle. Also you can remove accounts from your amazon site.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Harveytex

Yes, it is being run from an icon on my desktop (on one PC). Installed "Target" on my PC is "C:\Program Files\Amazon\Kindle For PC\KindleForPC.exe".
Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveytex View Post
Yes, it is being run from an icon on my desktop (on one PC). Installed "Target" on my PC is "C:\Program Files\Amazon\Kindle For PC\KindleForPC.exe".
Mine is a bit different though I don't think that's the problem.

"C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle For PC\application\KindleForPC.exe"

Have you tried de-registering all the copies on Amazon then un-installing K4PC, then re-installing?
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Harveytex

Yes! Several times and it still does the same thing.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Are you using the same install file? Try deleting it and downloading a fresh copy.

I just tried to install a second version of K4PC on my laptop and it wouldn't work. I'm not sure what is going on.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Harveytex

I removed the program and downloaded and installed a new copy and it still does the same thing. I'm about to give up! I don't want to use a program that requires me to register everytime I use it. I guess after the holiday weekend I may give Amazon a call and see if they have an answer.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveytex View Post
I removed the program and downloaded and installed a new copy and it still does the same thing. I'm about to give up! I don't want to use a program that requires me to register everytime I use it. I guess after the holiday weekend I may give Amazon a call and see if they have an answer.
I'll bet they are working today
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I'd like a solution for this, too. I'm running K4PC under Wine in Linux, and it took me a few times to get the install right. (I kept having to try to find different older versions because apparently the current version isn't compatible w/ Wine.)
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Strangeness indeed.
What version of Windows are you using? Are your user rights on that machine restricted in any way (i.e. a work PC with security policies in place)? Or is it your PC, of which you are the administrator?

If it's asking you to re-register every time you install it, that implies that the generated kindle.info file is only "surviving" as long as the app is open. Possibly it's being destroyed or corrupted by an over-eager third-party security application... or anti-virus/malware program. Do you have any non-standard security applications that monitor the creation of new files?

If you're using Vista, you can look under your User folder: C:\Users\<Username>\Appdata\Local\Amazon\Kindle for PC\{AMAwzsaPaaZAzmZzZQzgZCAkZ3AjA_AY} (that last folder name my vary, but you get the idea).

Look there for a kindle.info file. Is there only one? Or are there multiple files with numbers appended to the names?

Check that folder before you open Kindle 4 PC... after you open K4PC... and after you register K4PC (while it's still running) and note any changes to the files there and post your findings here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-31-2010 at 01:19 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36
I'd like a solution for this, too. I'm running K4PC under Wine in Linux, and it took me a few times to get the install right. (I kept having to try to find different older versions because apparently the current version isn't compatible w/ Wine.)
As things currently stand, only the earliest beta-version(s) of K4PC will work with Wine. Even if you get one of the newer versions to actually open and function, incompatibilities with the CryptUnprotectData dll's and the Volume Serial generation used by Wine will not allow the proper parsing of the kindle.info file. You may be able to copy true windows dll's and configure Wine to use them. But I've been down that road one, by one, by one measly dll at a time with no luck.

It's a shame really. The Kindle itself runs on Linux, yet Amazon won't release a version of K4* that's compatible with Linux. Every other device and piece of hardware out there, but.... gah! I'm rambling.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
When the program opens up, it needs to connect tot he internet, think of it as a Kindle on the PC itself. If there is a security program blocking part of that connection, then it will ask to relogin or reconnect with your Amazon login each time.

Check over your firewall, proxy or anti-virus to see if something is blocking it.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When the program opens up, it needs to connect tot he internet, think of it as a Kindle on the PC itself.
It only needs to be connected to the internet when it's first registered (and obviously when you want download a new book or synchronize). Other than that, you can happily open K4PC and read a book without an internet connection. Since the OP is successfully registering K4PC (every time they open the program), I suspect something else. But I've been wrong numerous times before.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Every time the "Kindle for PC" program starts up, the first thing it does is connect to the Amazon website to sync with the archived items. I watch my firewall logs which show its connection every time the program starts up.

Look at the lower left, it says "syncing and checking for new items" as soon as it starts.

Something else to try, go to Help, and click "Check for Problems".
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote