Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #46
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
This is next on my list!
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #47
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
I Just finished this about an hour ago. At first I wasn't very impressed with his writing, It seemed like a YA novel.

I quickly got sucked in and ended up really liking it. There are an insane amount of references, which was awesome but ended up getting old a few times. I had a hard time putting it down and it was a pretty fun book compared to my recent reads.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #48
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Yeah I thought originally YA as well when I was reading it...BUT, the 80's references in all their glory kept me reading...definately a fun book to read!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #49
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
I Just finished this about an hour ago. At first I wasn't very impressed with his writing, It seemed like a YA novel.

I quickly got sucked in and ended up really liking it. There are an insane amount of references, which was awesome but ended up getting old a few times. I had a hard time putting it down and it was a pretty fun book compared to my recent reads.
I felt exactly the same at first. I started it then left it to read something else, even though I hate doing that.

I restarted it a couple of nights ago and it's totally sucked me in! I'm loving it.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #50
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Glad to hear!! I hope you enjoy the book, it's de-throned Enders Game as a favorite.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #51
FranchiseBlade
FranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I'm late to the party, but I just finished the book this week. I love it. I'm obsessed with it.

There may a few times when some of the references were on overload, but except for a very few exceptions I think the author did an amazing job of including 80's nerd references but not forcing them in. It was absolutely a blast to read this book.

I understand the YA thought at the beginning as well, but then I figured it was more of a youthful naivete spirit that fit in absolutely brilliantly with the book, theme and characters.
FranchiseBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #52
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
RPO has been sitting on my shelf as a DTB for months; I couldn't bring myself to either pay again for the ebook or pick up a DTB (I know, I'm spoiled). The compromise ended up being Wil Wheaton's audio reading, which was brilliant.

I didn't find the cultural references excessive--they were integral to the story, after all--but there were some pretty tedious infodumps about the tech which felt neither novel nor necessary. A lot of the tech seemed implausible and 'quaint' in the same futures-past sense as the silver-cigar rocketships of '50s sci-fi. The future youth dialogue also felt kind of dated sometimes.

As reflected in some of the comments about the ending, the story was mostly just a good enough excuse for trotting out some beloved antiquities of foregone nerdery, and delivering scenes like the eminently satisfying final mash-up battle. Don't get me wrong; the narrative is indeed good enough, and the scenes and juxtapositions for which it serves as a scaffold are well worth it.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #53
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
I'm a bit past the half-way point in the audiobook version. Will Wheaton is an excellent narrator for this particular piece. I haven't read it, but I'm finding it to be a whole lot of fun.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #54
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
I'm a bit past the half-way point in the audiobook version. Will Wheaton is an excellent narrator for this particular piece. I haven't read it, but I'm finding it to be a whole lot of fun.
So did I, when I read it. But then, I'm old enough to have fond memories of most of the retro-nerdyness in the book
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #55
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
So did I, when I read it. But then, I'm old enough to have fond memories of most of the retro-nerdyness in the book
So did you play Demon Attack on your Atari console? I did. I also spent way too many quarters playing Missile Command. I never did play RPGs - too shy to have enough friends - but overall, I think the mogul in the book is about 5 years younger than I. I'm also really enjoying Will Wheaton's sense of humor about the whole thing. He's such a fanboy.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #56
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
So did you play Demon Attack on your Atari console? I did. I also spent way too many quarters playing Missile Command. I never did play RPGs - too shy to have enough friends - but overall, I think the mogul in the book is about 5 years younger than I. I'm also really enjoying Will Wheaton's sense of humor about the whole thing. He's such a fanboy.
He played it totally straight, but I had to pause and back up when he read
Spoiler:
the bit about him and Cory Doctorow being lifelong co-chairs of the future internet.
It just distracted me with a big grin on my face for several minutes.

I wasn't too aware of my surroundings until the mid '80s, but Joust and Defender were two of my favorite games as a kid.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 AM   #57
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Err.. yeah, right, man... right, yeah, err... right.

" ...........a copious vein of 1980s pop culture..........."

It's all a bit hazy still, but I'm reasonably sure there were a lot more of those about in the 70's ................

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #58
cearbhallain
Groupie

I may have laughed out loud.