Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
dnR
dnR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Kindle tries to run C/++ applications like sh scripts?

Hi everyone. This is actually my first post here (of many soon to come, I hope), but I hate introduction threads so I figure I'll get straight to the point.

When in terminal (either through ssh or directly), and I attempt to run a compiled program that was compiled on another machine, I get the following error:
Code:
[appname] line 1: syntax error: "(" unexpected'
This has happened on all applications that were compiled on my computer and transferred to my Kindle via SCP. These applications include Showkey and Python, each of which compile to single executables. I no longer need the showkey command, but I'm looking forward to running python on my Kindle 2.

If your first instinct is to point out that I shouldn't be compiling things on different computers before I transfer to my Kindle, I understand. Instead, then, could you let me know the best way to compile programs on the Kindle? I'm aware of using tcc (as supplied by lrizzo), but I haven't had any luck with that at all, and I am unable to compile even simple applications (even after copying the include files from a machine that compiles correctly to the Kindle)

Thanks,
dnR

Last edited by dnR; 01-09-2011 at 05:51 AM.
dnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
azit
azit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with others

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnR View Post
Code:
[appname] line 1: syntax error: "(" unexpected'
Typically this means you're trying to run code compiled for one processor/architecture on another. i.e. you've compiled code for x86 and are trying to run it on ARM.

You need to either install a compller on the kindle, or install a kindle compatible cross-compiler on your pc.
azit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
compile, kindle 2, python, script, terminal