Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Interesting twist on Digital Rights Management

An article on ZDnet may be of interest for those worried about DRM. It seems that Media Rights Technologies think that Apple, Microsoft & others are violating our rights.

Quote:
A California company that makes technology designed to prevent ripping of digital audio streams has accused Apple, Microsoft, RealNetworks and Adobe Systems of violating federal copyright law by "actively avoiding" use of its products.

Media Rights Technologies and its digital radio subsidiary BlueBeat.com said in a press release Thursday that it had issued cease and desist letters to the high-tech titans. It argues that the companies have manufactured billions of copies of Windows Vista, Adobe Flash Player, Real Player and Apple's iTunes and iPod "without regard for the DMCA or the rights of American intellectual property owners."
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

As I understand it, Media Rights Technology isn't interested in consumer rights. They market technology that prevents consumers from making an analog or digital recording of copyrighted works-- So you couldn't just hook up the line out to a tape recorder if their software was involved.

They are suing because they feel that Apple, Microsoft, etc are required under the DMCA to keep consumers from making analog recordings and are thus required to pay MRT for their anti-copying software.

Seems shady to me.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If your business plan involves, dare I say requires, getting the courts to force your customers to purchase your wares ... well ... I guess I just don't think that's a very sound business plan.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
A selfish, small-time lawsuit like this might be just the sort of thing to get some new laws out there (and/or reasonable interpretations of the law) to protect customer rights. This sort of strategy just might backfire.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
smells like snake oil to me
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
This pip-squeak company is wasting the Judiciary's time. I hope it gets thrown out and they get landed with crippling costs. But I wonder why they are doing it? Perhaps they feel it's worth it to get the publicity. They sure as hell don't think they can win?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Sometimes, just sometimes, the enemy of my enemy is *NOT* my friend.

;-/

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96
Sometimes, just sometimes, the enemy of my enemy is *NOT* my friend.
In those rare cases, I like to find a good vantage point and a comfortable seat, open a Henry Weinhard's Vanilla Cream Soda (my very favoritest!), then sit back and enjoy the show. Maybe pop some popcorn.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The general consensus I've read elsewhere is that this is nothing more than a publicity stunt. They're trying to say that MS, Apple, etc are required to use their DRM technology, because not doing so counts as a circumvention under the DMCA. They want to use the legal system to force companies to buy their technology, which is just silly.

It probably doesn't have any chance of being held up in the courts (and they probably know that), but as a publicity stunt it seems to have been quite successful. I'd never heard of them before, but they're getting coverage on a lot of forums out there right now.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
HeffeD
Enthusiast
HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Z22
This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

You absolutely can not force anyone to buy your product! Regardless of what you think the law says...

If this makes it through even preliminary legal stages, I will be sad for the downfall of humanity.
HeffeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Even assuming it's just a publicity stunt... they've just alerted a globe full of hackers to their technology, so by the time they could possibly get anyone to buy it (and I'm not sure who would, but I suppose the Content Cartel might use their leverage to try to get the big players to go for it), it will be broken.

That's if they survive frivolous lawsuit fines.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote