Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Amazon Kindle likely launch date: October 15!

We got our crystal ball out of its magic cupboard to tell you that October 15 may mark a very special day. Last week the New York Times reported that October will be the month when Amazon is going to unveil its Kindle e-book reader. And today we discovered this interesting little snippet while reading about the just launched Les Echos e-paper:

Quote:
Amazon doit d'ailleurs ouvrir son propre kiosque "e-paper" le 15 octobre aux Etats-Unis, et Les Echos seront également disponibles sur cette plateforme.
Link: Les Echos article

In perfect Babelfish English:

Quote:
Amazon must open besides its own kiosk "e-paper" on October 15 in the United States, and the Echoes will be also available on this platform.
Wow. Amazon is going to launch its own e-paper store hosting e-paper newspapers? Could there be a better time to celebrate the launch of a new wireless e-book reader...?

Related: NY Times new article on ebooks / Amazon Kindle
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Did you scoop Engadget again?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Did you scoop Engadget again?
Never tried to. They are just too fast. Most of the time.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Le Monde, another famous french newspaper should be available on the Kindle too. For those who thought that the Kindle would be a US-only thing: guess it'll be available in France too (Europe?).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
ack...kindle and V3 with wacom coming out in October...oooh decisions decisions
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THJahar View Post
ack...kindle and V3 with wacom coming out in October...oooh decisions decisions
I know what you mean. I consider it my misfortune that the shipping delay on the Iliad pushed the date back far enough that I had to seriously consider the V3. Now I have to think about the Kindle as well.

Oh well, might as well get them both.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Yet no updated pics on the formfactor yet... I do hope it doesn't look like the early prototype; i.e., all that wasted space for a book, yikes!

Good score on finding this article!

Interesting Side Note: Just noticed something interesting in Alex's info, his karma's about to excede his number of posts. Not a big deal for people with low posts vs. quality, but we're talking 7,000+, wow!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmmm... what's more interesting... the fact that Amazon might launch the Kindle on October 15, or that Amazon is going to launch an e-book "kiosk" on that day?

What do you guys make of an e-book kiosk? Something like Mobipocket Reloaded?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:50 AM   #9
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
So, it will cost $400-$500, the design is awful and it will run Mobipocket - something I for one stay far away from. Doesn't sound like a winner.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
looks cheap ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Since Amazon has had time after reading all criticism aroud, I wonder what will be left in the final design and what it will look like. Have they gone colo(u)r and kept wireless?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I bet that shape is the final design. I really like it. I liked it as soon as I saw it in the user manual that's floating around here. I admit that it looks ugly lying there, but once you see it from multiple angles it will grow on you.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I know what you mean. I consider it my misfortune that the shipping delay on the Iliad pushed the date back far enough that I had to seriously consider the V3. Now I have to think about the Kindle as well.

Oh well, might as well get them both.
The iLiad's been shipping for what? A year now? If you want one I'd say "go for it". IMHO it's the most capable of the current eBook readers, albeit also the most expensive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iLiad's been shipping for what? A year now? If you want one I'd say "go for it". IMHO it's the most capable of the current eBook readers, albeit also the most expensive.
HarryT, Irex has not shipped any Iliads since the first of September. They sold out of the previous production run and are just today starting to ship the next ones. The soonest I could get my sweaty hands on one is next Friday. That would have been nearly a 3 week delay if I had bought one as soon as I could afford it. I don't like to wait for my gadgets so I didn't buy one.

While waiting for an Iliad, I hear that the V3 with Wacom and Wifi will be available in October. I can get it for around $400. Which one will I like better? I have to wait and see.

By the way, when I said get both, I meant the V3 and the Kindle.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Whether the hardware is cool or crappy, I'm really just hopeful this event is pivotal in leading us somewhere useful - where most publishers are comfortable seeing most of their books sold as ebooks. If Amazon is the vendor that catalyzes that (and it makes sense to me that they might be) then terrific. If customers like us aren't entirely happy with their reader at first is less of a concern to me right now. A great reader with almost no available content is of little interest to hardly anyone, I'm sure.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote