Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
civil
This Tornado Loves You.
civil began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
PRS-600 vs PRS-300 (The glare! Oh the glare!)

I've had my PRS-600 for a day now and I loaded it up with books hoping to try it out at lunch today. I settled in with my apple and PRS-600 ready to delve into a brave new world.

That's when the tears started.

I was so distracted by the glare I couldn't concentrate on the words in front of me. I tilted. I twisted. I craned my neck. I did everything short of a yoga routine to try and find the right angle that wouldn't have me staring at myself reading, to no avail. I tried a different room. I tried daylight. I tried turning off the lights in my office and using my reading light. Still I couldn't find peace.

So I'm now at the point where I am seriously considering returning this and I wanted to know if the PRS-300 suffers from the same fate. Everything I've been able to deduce leads me to believe it's the touch screen that is the culprit and I hope that means the 300 would be easier on the eyes. Can someone confirm my hopes?

TIA
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The touch screen is what creates the glare. The 300 has a slight glare when viewed at some angles, but that's about it. I have a 505 which has the same screen as the 300, and I rarely see a glare.

One suggestion: if it's shut off, try and get some fingerprint marks on it to dull it. Weird solution, but it might help. I think there's some touch screen protectors out there that supposedly help, but I don't know much about that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Yes it is the touchscreen that creates the glare, you will be okay with the 300.
Good strong light makes the glare almost go away I've noticed, but still, it bothers some people more than others.
I don't think fingerprints help, they reflect the light in unexpected ways and are more annoying than mere glare, at least for me. Creative suggestion though, lilac_jive
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
civil
This Tornado Loves You.

That reminds me of a technique we used to use in film school - rubbing vaseline or the end of your nose on the lens to create a "foggy" effect.

I think I'm going to check out the 300 in person tomorrow. If it's significantly better I'm switching. Does anyone know if I would have to re-download any books I bought from Sony?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by civil View Post
That reminds me of a technique we used to use in film school - rubbing vaseline or the end of your nose on the lens to create a "foggy" effect.

I think I'm going to check out the 300 in person tomorrow. If it's significantly better I'm switching. Does anyone know if I would have to re-download any books I bought from Sony?
As long as there in your Reader Library you will not have to re-download them.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
From what I've read the touch screen protectors don't help enough to be worth while. At least not for the glare.

It sounds like your best bet is to return it.

To me the glare is a minor problem and doesn't bother me. I just adjust the angle and read.

Contrast on the other hand took longer to adjust to. I wanted to send it back. That too is no longer a problem to me.

The glare on some readers is worse than others, but they all seem to have some of it.

So from what you write I'd say send it back and wait about a year. I'm sure that by then something better will be out.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i'm really amazed at the glare complaints from some people, is each unit polished that differently? i notice glare when it's reflecting a light right at me, a slight tilt and the glare is gone.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:28 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
One suggestion: if it's shut off, try and get some fingerprint marks on it to dull it. Weird solution, but it might help.
Excellent advice Lilac!

I have a PRS-700, and judging by other peoples eyes it is a glare factory. I have found that if I spread the dung of 7 year old Australian female sheep, and Krafts (tm) Cool-Whip on the anterior of the device (close to the battery compartment!!) it reduces the glare in other peoples eyes by 5%.

That doesn't really help much, but the sweet smell of the sheep dung does keep people from commenting on the glare.

YMMV. Hope it helps!

Donn
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:03 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i'm really amazed at the glare complaints from some people, is each unit polished that differently? i notice glare when it's reflecting a light right at me, a slight tilt and the glare is gone.
Peoples' sensitivity to it seems to vary. I find it no problem at all, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:18 AM   #10
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
We each have our little pecadillos...The glare doesn't bother me at all.

But then, I'm not a very sensitive person. I don't have a good sense of smell, so skunks or out houses don't offend me. (I also can't smell most flowers unless I stick'em right up my nose) I don't have a good sense of taste either, so I don't enjoy the nuances of flavors of things. (don't really see any difference between instant coffee & brewed, or diet soda & full calorie) Usually have sort of dirty glasses on, so a smudge on a screen doesn't bother me on a monitor, and the glare is something that I quickly (like 3 minutes) quit noticing.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:21 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I must confess that I can't abide fingerprints on screens; I never touch my PRS-600's screen other than with the stylus.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:27 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must confess that I can't abide fingerprints on screens; I never touch my PRS-600's screen other than with the stylus.
Really, Harry! Children may read this!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 AM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I have the 300 and have very little glare, and like the contrast. I see many posts in the forums that speak of the 505 having the same screen as the 300 (but an inch larger). It makes me think that perhaps it might have been wiser for me to have bought an ereader sooner, and got the 505. Shame they are not made anymore.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:01 AM   #14
civil
This Tornado Loves You.

Quote:
If I looked like George Clooney, I might actually enjoy seeing myself read. I might even dress all fancy like. But as it is, I'd rather the monsters I read about be in the words, not on the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Excellent advice Lilac!

I have a PRS-700, and judging by other peoples eyes it is a glare factory. I have found that if I spread the dung of 7 year old Australian female sheep, and Krafts (tm) Cool-Whip on the anterior of the device (close to the battery compartment!!) it reduces the glare in other peoples eyes by 5%.

That doesn't really help much, but the sweet smell of the sheep dung does keep people from commenting on the glare.

YMMV. Hope it helps!

Donn
Hmm. Well I've got an 18 year-old goat, a vat of lard and a mirror. I'll try your technique but I have a feeling I'll attract the authorities rather than reduce glare. But I'm here to learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
We each have our little pecadillos...The glare doesn't bother me at all.

But then, I'm not a very sensitive person. I don't have a good sense of smell, so skunks or out houses don't offend me. (I also can't smell most flowers unless I stick'em right up my nose) I don't have a good sense of taste either, so I don't enjoy the nuances of flavors of things. (don't really see any difference between instant coffee & brewed, or diet soda & full calorie) Usually have sort of dirty glasses on, so a smudge on a screen doesn't bother me on a monitor, and the glare is something that I quickly (like 3 minutes) quit noticing.
This was like reading the Book of Job as written by Eeyore.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
-walsh-
Enthusiast
-walsh- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Same for me, doesnt bother me at all.
-walsh- is offline   Reply With Quote