Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
let me five you a word of advise, as I worked in the SW/electronic industry for years. One should never buy a product in the promise or expectation that software will be fixed in future versions. While it is tech possible today it is not always feasable or even possible for the company. Further more my expectation from a company that is not in the software in doing so is not very high. Mind you I do believe they will do it just not confidence in their ability.

My advise , since you have your mind set on the nook is to wait it out and see what releases they come up with. There is no need to rush out and buy a product especially when you are not happy with the device as is. Sure your 100% confident they will fix all issues but the wait in the mean time will be painful.

In the end it's your decision and you can spend your hard earn cash any way you wish.

=X=
The nook has already been hacked to access the root level of the os. Now you can use it to browse the web on WiFi and you will be able to load custom Roms on it to provide new capabilities. Something you can't do on a kindle.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
The nook has already been hacked to access the root level of the os. Now you can use it to browse the web on WiFi and you will be able to load custom Roms on it to provide new capabilities. Something you can't do on a kindle.
The Kindle has been hacked to allow root access. You can also install Debian on the Kindle. The Kindle allows you to browse the web on WiFi without hacking. Oh and there are 3rd party applications for the Kindle such as Savory which allows it to read non-native formats such as EPUB.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #18
Martlet
Martlet began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I chose a Nook for very similar reasons. Like you, I hedged my bets on it. It's due to arrive Monday.

When I compared ereaders, I realized that most of the problems people were having were software related. Software issues can be, and usually are, fixed through patches. Other difference, like expandable memory, battery, wifi, touch screen, etc can only be fixed with the purchase of a new unit.

I believe that once the basic bugs are patched in the Nook, it will be a much better reader for me than the other options currently available.
Martlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
captobie
captobie began at the beginning.

Device: PDA (Mobipocket, eReader), nook (it's here!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
The Kindle has been hacked to allow root access. You can also install Debian on the Kindle. The Kindle allows you to browse the web on WiFi without hacking. Oh and there are 3rd party applications for the Kindle such as Savory which allows it to read non-native formats such as EPUB.
The Kindle has WiFi?
captobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:12 AM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by captobie View Post
The Kindle has WiFi?
No, but it has web browsing on Amazon's dime via 3G (at least in the US).

The Nook really should have web browsing via WiFi. It would cost B&N some development effort, but would make the device more comparable to the Kindle. The most likely reason they left it out is time pressure, but a second reason might be that B&N was afraid Nook owners would lobby for browsing via 3G. I think owners would understand that 3G browsing costs money to someone.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #21
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

The Nook really should have web browsing via WiFi. It would cost B&N some development effort, but would make the device more comparable to the Kindle. The most likely reason they left it out is time pressure, but a second reason might be that B&N was afraid Nook owners would lobby for browsing via 3G. I think owners would understand that 3G browsing costs money to someone.
I suspect that your second reason, lobbying for browsing on 3G, is correct about why B&N excluded a browser. However, I think that your appraisal of the general reading public is very generous.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #22
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

It might be just me, but whether the nook has web browsing does not matter to me. If it did, I really do not see myself using it to surf the net. You have your cell phones, Netbooks and other devices for that. What I like is having my content automatically downloaded to my device (my magazine subscriptions). Maybe I am in the minority on this issue..

I have had the nook a week and it is a great device. I had minor problems with a couple of previously purchased books, but was able to work around that. Aside from that, I have not had a problem with it..
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #23
Martlet
Martlet began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
It might be just me, but whether the nook has web browsing does not matter to me.
It's not just you. Would it be nice if it did? Sure. It's not why I bought a Nook, though.
Martlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martlet View Post
It's not just you. Would it be nice if it did? Sure. It's not why I bought a Nook, though.
Thanks Martlet...

It is nice to know I am not alone
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #25
superhero
Enthusiast
superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505, B&N Nook, Sony Daily Edition, iRex Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Thanks Martlet...

It is nice to know I am not alone
First, let me say I am not trolling but I am just curious if it is considered a major feature of the Kindle that it can surf the web from those that own a Kindle? In other words, if it did not have that functionality would it make a big difference?

I honestly do not see the allure of surfing on a screen with such a slow refresh rate, no color and only over 3g which is much slower than Wifi. I have a Nook but could care less to surf the web with it. It is enough of a pain on my Iphone 3gs although I can maneuver much better with my fingers, zoom and move much faster using my finger than I imagine a Kindle can using its toggle.

I feel like I am missing something.
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #26
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
First, let me say I am not trolling but I am just curious if it is considered a major feature of the Kindle that it can surf the web from those that own a Kindle? In other words, if it did not have that functionality would it make a big difference?

I honestly do not see the allure of surfing on a screen with such a slow refresh rate, no color and only over 3g which is much slower than Wifi. I have a Nook but could care less to surf the web with it. It is enough of a pain on my Iphone 3gs although I can maneuver much better with my fingers, zoom and move much faster using my finger than I imagine a Kindle can using its toggle.

I don't have a smart phone and have little interest in paying for the data plans that go with them. So for me the web browser on my Kindle takes on some of the same roles that you might use your iPhone for. I check my gmail, look up movie times, get driving directions, etc with my Kindle without a monthly bill to pay for it.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #27
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I am just curious if it is considered a major feature of the Kindle that it can surf the web from those that own a Kindle?
It isn't a major feature, but it is nice to have as a backup on occasion.

My point about a browser on the Nook was that it should be easy to do, given Android, and also that B&N seems to be explicitly targeting the Kindle's feature list.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #28
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Quote:

It's not necessarily for web browsing - often it's just web *access*. A perfect example is feedbooks.com Kindle Download guide. It's a Kindle format book of all of feedbooks public-domain content organized by author, by title, etc. Every book has a download link - clicking it while reading just switches to the browser (which ends up being an empty page) where you get a prompt from the Kindle confirming if you want to download the content to the device's memory (it'll download any of its supported formats). Boom - you've got that public domain book on your Kindle without ever having to use your computer and download through USB.

The download guide even has a link on its cover that lets you update the guide itself - downloading the latest version.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #29
superhero
Enthusiast
superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505, B&N Nook, Sony Daily Edition, iRex Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennett View Post
It's not necessarily for web browsing - often it's just web *access*. A perfect example is feedbooks.com Kindle Download guide. It's a Kindle format book of all of feedbooks public-domain content organized by author, by title, etc. Every book has a download link - clicking it while reading just switches to the browser (which ends up being an empty page) where you get a prompt from the Kindle confirming if you want to download the content to the device's memory (it'll download any of its supported formats). Boom - you've got that public domain book on your Kindle without ever having to use your computer and download through USB.

The download guide even has a link on its cover that lets you update the guide itself - downloading the latest version.
Thank you everyone for the responses. That functionality does seem like a nice bonus. I knew I was missing something
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #30
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Well, having the browser on a wifi enabled device offers a huge advantage of being able to use variety of the WiFI hotspots which display a welcome page. Vancouver (BC) airport where thousands will be traveling to for the Olympics implemented the welcome page on their free WiFi network a few years back so nook wouldn't be connected there.

Speaking of the slow refresh-rate -- I've opened Google Reader on the nook and it worked wonders for the e-ink device. That and the ability to check your e-mails or maybe some documents on Google Docs would be great.

Because of the way the e-ink/LCD combo is presented to android apps, B&N would have needed to re-write the standard android browser and my guess is they ran out of time.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote