Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Errors in Baen 's eBooks?

I'm just about finished with On Basilisk Station and I've found a number of errors. It seems there are a lot of missing section breaks. Is this sort of thing common for Baen's eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
I noticed this also but at the time I assumed it was my jetbook, apparently not.
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
A lot of Baen books use blank space as a scene break. I don't like it either.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
In On Basilisk Station, there is the blank space and the three asterisks both used. But there are a number of places where there is no section break and it's obvious there should be something there. I am going to take the book from the library (I hope tomorrow) and have a go and see how badly they missed the section breaks.

Why is it some books use blank space and non-blank space to denote section breaks in the same book? I did try the RTF and HTML and found some of the same missing section breaks. So it does seem consistent.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham88 View Post
I noticed this also but at the time I assumed it was my jetbook, apparently not.
Your Jetbook is fine, it's the book that's off.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
May be a different problem but I've found that pbooks I've scanned seem to lose the "blank space" section breaks and it is difficult to go back & fix them without a complete proof read (and even then it is not easy). I much prefer the * * * as section break.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
When I was helping convert Mayer Brenner's Dance of Gods series to Palm DOC format, I noticed that the Word file for that also used both the blank space and the three asterisks in different places...it turned out it had been scanned from hard copy, in which the asterisks were used when the scene break came at the end of a page, with blank space being used elsewhere. Maybe this is something similar?
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
it has to do with the format. I found some formats did the section break, while most lost some of them.

I wish they all had the ***** breaks. line breaks arent as good.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some books use blanks and "* * *" for different purposes. Eg, LOTR uses a blank to mean "same scene, but we're skipping forward in time", and "* * *" to mean "change of scene".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
There are may missing section breaks in the On Basilisk Station. I am reading it in .lrf format myself. Maybe notify them citing an example?

I have noticed that there are occasions where rtf2lrf misses section breaks but I cannot pin it down in a repeatable fashion. Using lrf2lrs and manually putting them back in with a double CR tab in the correct place) then lrs2lrf again sorts the problem for me but we shouldn't *have* to do it.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
An email to Arnold Bailey who runs webscription.net should get things fixed up. But only if you're specific about faults. Referring to the HTML chapter by URL is a good way to specify where problems are in the text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm just about finished with On Basilisk Station and I've found a number of errors. It seems there are a lot of missing section breaks. Is this sort of thing common for Baen's eBooks?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:28 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
I have several other books from Baen, and haven't noticed any problems.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It seems there are a lot of missing section breaks. Is this sort of thing common for Baen's eBooks?
I forgot to address this part of your question.

On some of the back catalogue it's quite common for there to be OCR typos when the books first go up. Luckily, people report these to Arnold and after a month or two the books are clean. Section breaks are obviously not as easily spotted as typos, so I'm not very surprised that they've persisted.

For new books, I find the quality is better than other publishers. And if there are systematic errors caused by some conversion SNAFU, Arnold fixes them quickly.

With webscription.net, concise and precise reports of problems with ebooks do result in the problems getting fixed.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-06-2009 at 06:47 AM. Reason: typo
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Once I actually A/B the eBook vs the pBook, I'll keep a note of all the errors and then I can write them up to be fixed.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

....although, this may be the intent of the author. It just depends.

On the book(s) in question, I suppose one could check the printed copy with the ebook copy. Or better yet, ask the author.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote