Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
New online e-book platform to offer 100,000 German titles

Quote:
Some 100,000 German books will be available in digital format via an ambitious new online platform libreka! when the Leipzig book fair kicks off on March 12.

The total number of e-books available will eventually reach 500,000 to 700,000 and publishers will charge a set price for the titles that can be downloaded to different electronic book readers, he added. Up to 1,000 publishers will contribute to libreka!, which the MVB hopes to make the premier site for German e-books.

“The price will be different from printed books,” Schild said. “The e-book will be a bit more affordable.”

But consumers will only see a part of the savings that publishers achieve in lower production costs because sales taxes will be increased to 19 percent instead of the seven percent consumers pay for paper books.

Individual publishers will decide how many pages customers can preview without charge, but Schild said the average was about 20 percent of a book.

The MVB believes that readers embracing the new platform will vary from students who use mobile devices to the elderly who need larger typeface. “But one still doesn’t know much about the typical e-book reader,” Shild said.

DPA/The Local (news@thelocal.de)
Source: http://www.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20090302-17743.html
Link: http://www.libreka.de
Edit: Here's the German press release

Last edited by -Thomas-; 03-02-2009 at 06:44 PM.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, amazing !! now i wish i could read german.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow, amazing !! now i wish i could read german.
Yeah me too. Oh wait, i can read german.
Thats really good news for us german ebook-readers. Even starriggers (Jeffrey A. Carver) books seem to be available there in german! (well, only for text-search at the moment)
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
dschill
Connoisseur
dschill began at the beginning.

Device: none
guess this is good new for the germans.
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I wish they would do something like this for Dutch books too... Somehow, I get the impression that Dutch publishers don't even know ebooks exist.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
hannah
Zealot
hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Bebook mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I wish they would do something like this for Dutch books too... Somehow, I get the impression that Dutch publishers don't even know ebooks exist.
I'm sure they don't know
And if they know they probably don't care ...
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:51 AM   #7
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Sweet -- they have the first 40 pages of the German translation of my book up there. I've just spent the last twenty minutes trying (and failing) to read it...

However, what I really wanted to know was if it would be any cheaper than the hardback, but I don't see any price listed for it yet.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hey, if this works, it's an example for other countries / publishers to follow.
I'm glad for our German friends, even if I don't understand more than 15 words of their language.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote