Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
bookbub
Mr. Book Bub
bookbub began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko Android App
Hi from USA

Hello everyone. I am Bob from New Jersey in the USA. I love books, used to work in a bookstore, and have become a big e-book fan.

I am avid e-book reader who is in mourning over what appears to be the demise of the traditional epub format of newly published books available from Kobo. I am decidedly not a person who is into violating DRM rules on epub files. That's not my game.

My issue is quite simple. I read on my Android tablet with the Aldiko app when lets you increase the font size much more than Kobo's proprietary app. I prefer to buy books on Kobo because unlike BN and Amazon, Kobo often lets you use coupon codes to further reduce the price of a book. This is a good money-saver when the option is available.

When I buy a book on Kobo I download manually the epub file from my account into Adobe Digital Editions and then into use that to transfer to Alkido. The Aldiko app supports AdobeDRM. In fact you have to use your ADRM address to validate.

The benefit is that Aldiko will increase font size much larger. Now Kobo apparently is only making NEW books available in it's own Kepub format which can't be loaded into anything but a Kobo device or reading app.

It is another disturbing example that even though we buy a book with e-books we never really own the whole thing. The publishers and booksellers ultimately control our library. Not a good thing.
bookbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Bob and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hello
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Hi Bob, welcome to MR.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe drm, aldiko, kobo