Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 04:03 AM   #1
Sakura
Enthusiast
Sakura began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & DX
Exclamation If you buy a new Kindle, is it possible to get a returned Kindle?

What happens to Kindles that get returned ?

thanks
Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is there some reason that you specifically want a returned one?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
Sakura
Enthusiast

No I dont want a returned one I was just wondering since you can return a Kindle within 30 days.. What happens to the ones that get returned ? Do they just get repackaged and sold to the next customer ?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You may want to send that question to Amazon. They are very good about replying quickly even if it's not always get the answer we (I) want.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think returned Kindles are ground up and recycled into Crocs shoes.

Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
What happens to Kindles that get returned ?

thanks
I would think that would depend on why they were returned. With most reputable stores, if an items is returned just because the purchaser decided they didn't want it, it will be tested (to make certain it is in saleable working order) and then packaged and sold.

If, however, it was returned as being defective, or if it is returned in a non-saleable condition, it will be scrapped for parts, or repaired and sold at a discount as "reconditioned."
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
Sakura
Enthusiast

Thank you all
Old 07-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I would think that would depend on why they were returned. With most reputable stores, if an items is returned just because the purchaser decided they didn't want it, it will be tested (to make certain it is in saleable working order) and then packaged and sold.
Actually, my understanding is that you can not sell something as new if it has been sent to another customer first. This is why Apple, Dell, HP all have a refurbished section on their websites. The refurbs could be either an item someone returned that they didn't want, or one that was exchanged as broken and fixed/clean/etc (truly refurbished).

If someone finds out Amazon is selling 30 day returns as new units I think there would be quite an uproar. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kindle refurb store come up sometime in the future.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, my understanding is that you can not sell something as new if it has been sent to another customer first. This is why Apple, Dell, HP all have a refurbished section on their websites. The refurbs could be either an item someone returned that they didn't want, or one that was exchanged as broken and fixed/clean/etc (truly refurbished).

If someone finds out Amazon is selling 30 day returns as new units I think there would be quite an uproar. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kindle refurb store come up sometime in the future.

BOb
All of the electronics stores that I have shopped at sell returned items as new. As long as it is as good as new, I see nothing wrong with that. If there has been no need to refurbish it, then I do not see why they should sell it as such.

Some of the stores (not all ... but some), will offer a small discount for what they call "open box" items ... but that's about it.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:

BOb
I think you can as long as the box is unopened. If it's been opened then you have to disclose it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As long as it is as good as new, I see nothing wrong with that. If there has been no need to refurbish it, then I do not see why they should sell it as such.
Because you don't know what was done to it. Some internal parts might have been removed. It could be dirty. Someone could have spilled a coffee in it. there are many reasons.

Quote:
Some of the stores (not all ... but some), will offer a small discount for what they call "open box" items ... but that's about it.
Right, "open box" are how they should sell these.

Bob

Last edited by pilotbob; 07-11-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think you can as long as the box is unopened. If it's been opened then you have to disclose it.
Yes, I totally agree. That makes perfect sense. Although some people re-seal stuff.

BOb
Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with that.
Have you not read stories about people buying hard drives, iPods, etc and opening the box to find it has nothing in it, or a rock or brick? This is why these laws exist.

BOb
Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Although some people re-seal stuff.

BOb
Some people re-seal stuff really well. I had and issue with it earlier this week. I purchased a cable that allows me to play an iPod through my car stereo (my cassette drive is acting up on my 2003 Corolla). The package was sealed and looked in good shape. Before I left the parking, I decided to try it out.

First thing I noticed were fingerprints on the instruction manual. Then when I removed the cling film from the button panel, it was all scratched up. The cable on one side of the panel was being pulled away from the panel and it just didn't work. I walked right back into the store, pointed everything out and they let me get another package (which had more stuff in it than the one I had before).

Glad I didn't have to drive all the way back for the return.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Because you don't know what was done to it. Some internal parts might have been removed. It could be dirty. Someone could have spilled a coffee in it. there are many reasons.

Right, "open box" are how they should sell these.

Bob
Bob .... that's why they test and inspect it, to find out whether or not it is in good working order. If someone spilled coffee in it, then it is not going to be something that is returned in working order. If it is not in saleable condition when it is returned, and if it requires repair, then it can only be sold as refurbished.