Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
LittleLui
LittleLui began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch, 5.1.0 and Kindlet compatibility

Hey everyone,

I updated my KT to 5.1.0 a few weeks ago, and lost my jailbreak in the process. I finally got around to re-jailbreaking, and while other Kindlets seem to work (e.g. Font Hack), my Krosswords kindlet doesn't.

I get a message "The content you're trying to open is not compatible with this Kindle. Please try to update from the settings menu. If the problem persists, pleace contact Kindle support." (translated from german, might deviate a bit from its english equivalent).

I recompiled against the 2.1 versions of the kindle's Kindlet* jars, but that didn't change anything.

Anyone got a hint for me?

regards,
LittleLui
LittleLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Did you just change the actual kindlet jar or all the ones in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
LittleLui

I changed only the kindlet jar. Other kindlets (e.g. Font Hack) work.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then try changing them all. Duh! Especially the ReaderSDK one

Last edited by aditya3098; 05-14-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
LittleLui

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Then try changing them all. Duh! Especially the ReaderSDK one
Oh my. Must have been my lack of coffee, but I completely mis-parsed your original question to mean "did you change anything in the Kindlet-JARs" as opposed to "did you replace all the Kindlet-JARs".

Of course I replaced them all (thus the glob "Kindle*" in my original post).
Old 05-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
aditya3098
Guru

But you said Kindle* not ReaderSDK*
Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@LittleLui: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=28

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #8
LittleLui

Ha!
Thanks to both of you, I'm pretty sure ixtab has pointed out what I missed. I'll have to check tonight
Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
LittleLui

ixtab, i've seen some more manifest entries in your xml:
<!-- FW 5.0.* -->
<attribute name="Toolbar-Style" value="none"/>
<!-- FW 5.1.* -->
<attribute name="Toolbar-Mode" value="persistent"/>
<attribute name="Font-Size-Mode" value="point"/>
Do you have any more info on those? Most of the fonts in my kindlet are really huge now, and i suspect that the font-size-mode might help with that, but setting it to "point" didn't help at all.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLui View Post
ixtab, i've seen some more manifest entries in your xml:
<!-- FW 5.0.* -->
<attribute name="Toolbar-Style" value="none"/>
<!-- FW 5.1.* -->
<attribute name="Toolbar-Mode" value="persistent"/>
Do you have any more info on those? Most of the fonts in my kindlet are really huge now, and i suspect that the font-size-mode might help with that, but setting it to "point" didn't help at all.
Yeah, 5.1.0 fucked up pretty much everything.

The font size interpretation changed (which is exactly the reason why I made FontHack 1.3 for Firmware 5.1 only, and not below... it would simply not work on older devices, regardless of the "Font-Size-Mode" you set), and also hidden toolbars are not possible in 5.1.0. anymore. The only option you have is "transient" and "persistent". Better to have the toolbar present all the time than have it pop up every time you don't want it
Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yeah, 5.1.0 fucked up pretty much everything.
They "f***ed up" the low-level eink include files too, so I have to copy the C structures directly into my native mode apps and rename them so they can coexist with previous version. Otherwise each of my native mode apps would need one version for every firmware version from 2.x to 5.0.x, and another version that would ONLY work on 5.1.0. Even amazon's apps are now version-locked to ONLY 5.1.0, or everything EXCEPT 5.1.0 (if they use the eink display). They probably broke a bunch of other stuff while they were in there mucking about.

So, I guess with your discoveries in mine, it looks like 5.1.0 is a "Total F**k Up", as they say. I asked their techs to scrap it and go back to the 5.0.0 code base. I hope they follow my advice. I am getting tired of their false "we will contact you in a couple of days" replies.

What crop of inexperienced script kiddies did amazon hire to work on this new "version" anyway?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-16-2012 at 10:11 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
digory
Enthusiast
digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLui View Post
*snip*
*snip*
Does anybody know another value that's understood for this attribute? Thanks!
digory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
ixtab
(offline)

"pixel"

PS: And here's how to find out such things: unzip all Kindle jars into a common directory.

This way, you can do string searches on classes:

Code:
LANG=C grep -r Font-Size-Mode java/classes
Binary file java/classes/com/amazon/kindle/kindlet/internal/install/j.class matches
Then you can open that class using your favorite decompiler (I use jadclipse) and simply click your way through to com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.FontSizeMode, where you find these constants:
Code:
    public static final FontSizeMode FONT_SIZE_POINT_MODE = new FontSizeMode("point");
    public static final FontSizeMode FONT_SIZE_PIXEL_MODE = new FontSizeMode("pixel");

Last edited by ixtab; 07-07-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
digory
Enthusiast
digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle touch
Aw, cool! Thx a lot!
digory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
might save you some time: fgrep is a better choice for patterns, that contain no patterns.
(at least wikipedia says so)
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote