Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
paulspen
paulspen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nook, iPad
Multi-leveled indent won't convert to mobi

Hello all:

First, thanks to the developers and everyone else who has made Calibre and this forum such a useful tool for so many of us.

I've recently stumbled upon a glitch when trying to convert an epub to mobi. I am converting a large legal document which contains up to 9 levels of nested indentation. It looks somewhat like this:

a. ASDF
1. ASDF
A. ASDF
i. ASDF
I. ASDF
(a). ASDF
(1). ASDF
(A). ASDF

Crazy I know, but hey, it's the law. Anyway...

Our stylesheet uses divs with the left margin set as a decreasing percentage for each increasing level of indent (i.e., div1 margin=22%, div2 margin=20%, div3margin=18%). So the further to the right the indent, the less the amount of indent applied. This allows us to cram all these levels into something that approximates the look of a printed page given the width constraints of a web page or ereader.

This works well on the web, and results in a good looking epub via Calibre. But when we convert the epub to mobi, it completely breaks down. Either the indents don't show up at all, or the first two or three levels work and then all subsequent ones get stuck on that level, like so:

a. ASDF
1. ASDF
A. ASDF
i. ASDF
I. ASDF
(a). ASDF

Given the lack of a real mobi editor and the lack of css use in mobi, does anyone have any idea how we can make this work? Or is it a limitation in the mobi format that limits the amount of nested indentation?

Many thanks again,

p.
paulspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Or is it a limitation in the mobi format that limits the amount of nested indentation?
This. You'll never get 7 levels of indentation in a mobi. MOBI doesn't do margins, so indentation is accomplished by nesting <blockquotes>.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
paulspen
paulspen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nook, iPad
Thanks for the info. So, forgive my ignorance of css, but it is possible to nest blockquotes thus?

Code:
<blockquote>Here is the first indent.
<blockquote>And this is the second level of indent.
</blockquote></blockquote>
p.
paulspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspen View Post
Thanks for the info. So, forgive my ignorance of css, but it is possible to nest blockquotes thus?

Code:
<blockquote>Here is the first indent.
<blockquote>
And this is the second level of indent.
<blockquote>
And this is the Third level of indent.
</blockquote>
</blockquote>
</blockquote>
p.

I added a third level for clarity and to emphasise that the closing tags need to be done in the proper places
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote