Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #16
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
Body position has to be a big factor.

Whether you are sitting or lying down (you might be doing either at various points in the day).

And if you are sitting... if its at a desk, in a reclining chair or couch of some type, or in some other place (on a stoop, a lawn chair, a bus or railway seat, etc. would be very common places, I think).

Lying down... well... some people lie on their backs, some on their sides, and some fluff up a pillow and lie on their stomachs. Sometimes on couches (so pretty naturally on their backs there, I'd think), and some only on a bed.

These all have to present different scenarios for eBook reader positioning.

Even still, even if the reader is propped on your stomach, or partially on a desk (presumably being angled up by your hand), or something totally different I still wonder at the whole "page turn buttons at the bottom" thing. I still don't get that.
Definitely agree. Difficult for hardware makers to make "perfect" devices with so much variety in people's preferences and uses. Difficult for buyers to find a "perfect" device as well. Maybe that's just me, though. I find good features in various devices, but nothing with everything I want. So I go for closest fit and hope something better emerges. I appreciate that strides have been made, though.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Lets discuss things like button placement, weight balance, one-handed vs. two-handed, and other "how they feel" aspects here. You can cite specific existing models or your ideals.
Touch-screen! It must have a touch-screen (Fujitsu ST4120)! And it had better be a 12" display! Full-color!

Windows XP Tablet PC operating system! WinXP is the only OS that can be considered a 'real' ereader OS.

Heft! If it doesn't weigh at least 2 pounds it can't be taken seriously as an ereader. Just *try* to lift a Cybook Gen3 (sans cover) quickly with oily fingers - can't be done without lofting the Gen3 40 feet into the air on a 200-foot trajectory to the nearest cinder-block wall.

Short battery life/short charger cable. These newfangled long-battery-life models entice one to read just about anywhere - on the bus, in the dentist's chair, participating in violent protests against military juntas. All this freedom to read everywhere endangers readers! Each reader who dies because of failure to anticipate a violent reading environment is a LOST SALE to all future authors!

Nope. The very *BEST* ereader is an old-fashioned, boat-anchor CP/M system with a 40-pound, 12-inch green monochrome display!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #18
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend
JakesFriend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Teddman,
I bought the Floor Stand model from Bookholder.com -- they have a table model (it clamps on to a horizontal surface), and the floor stand model. It does exactly what you asked for -- it holds the book at eye level (adjustable), and pivots and even tilts.
It's not cheap, but I'm liking it so far.

And you're idea for the remote control is great. Hope someone out there is listening!
JakesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Definitely agree. Difficult for hardware makers to make "perfect" devices with so much variety in people's preferences and uses. Difficult for buyers to find a "perfect" device as well. Maybe that's just me, though. I find good features in various devices, but nothing with everything I want. So I go for closest fit and hope something better emerges. I appreciate that strides have been made, though.
Yes, but certain things are probably universal.

Whether you are using your left or right hand, its more natural to hold a unit in the middle than from the bottom, presuming you are holding it. So buttons near the bottom are inherently lame in those cases. The only time I can think of when low-down buttons are superior is if your access to the unit is with it resting against something, like a stand, which is sitting on a desk or table. In that case, your hands are likely to be resting ON the desk or table and thus be lower.

Another one: too thin is annoying. Sure, its lighter, but its also correspondingly more awkward.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
In truth I think adding the cover on the 505 makes the location of the buttons even MORE unwieldy. I mean unless someone is descended from baboons their thumb isn't THAT long, and if they are carrying the weight of the unit with their palm across the middle of the unit, then stretching your thumb DOWN isn't exactly comfortable, or natural. With the weight increase from a cover, it makes it even more essential to hold it from the middle, otherwise it would be flopping out of your hands half the time.
Oh, I completely disagree. I think the 505 with a cover is just about perfect ergonomically. If I hold it open with my left hand, like a paperback, my left thumb is right on the left-side page turn buttons. If I hold it with my right hand, my right thumb is right on the right-side page turn buttons. Even in landscape it's just about perfect in my left hand.

Quote:
I wonder what a series of polls would reveal about people here? Do they hold their readers one-handed or use two? Left or right hand? Do they most often put the unit down to rest on something or hold it up elevated? How do they use booklights (attached to the rim or a cover, or some kind of specialized lamp shining down from overhead)?
I think that would be very interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
I never understood why I would want to touch a screen that I would want to read on. Fingerprints and smudges are a fact of life, to me the less of such between my eyes and the words the happier I am.
I couldn't agree with you more! I can't stand the new generation of glossy touch screens. Lots of glare & fingerprints smudges. I could *not* read on one of those. The mat screen of my 505 is perfect.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
While I love my Sony PRS-505, I do find the ergonomics rather clumsy. It's better with a cover on, as Neil said, but it's still not as comfortable or easy to turn the page as it should be.

If I were buying a device now, I'd probably go for the Pocketbook 360. It looks like a joy to hold and use.

The most ergonomic device I've used was my old Franklin eBookMan. Held it in one hand, used either the right index finger or left thumb, depending on which hand was holding it, to press the button. Never even had to think about it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
Oh, I completely disagree. I think the 505 with a cover is just about perfect ergonomically. If I hold it open with my left hand, like a paperback, my left thumb is right on the left-side page turn buttons. If I hold it with my right hand, my right thumb is right on the right-side page turn buttons. Even in landscape it's just about perfect in my left hand.

Obviously different people have different tolerances (and you may have a much bigger one), but what I see in that first picture (your left hand pic) is you putting all the weight onto your fingers--the palm of your hand isn't involved at all. And that's where, for most people I think, the strength and stability is--using their palm to distribute the weight load. If you just use your fingers, all the strain is transferred pretty much directly to your wrist. Not that its immediately that heavy, but over time I think its cumulative.

Of course what we can't see from that picture is if the unit is also leaning on something at the same time. If so, that would explain the lack of finger/wrist strain.

The right hand pic is the way I inevitably wind up using my Sony 505, even though I find my LEFT hand more natural (because of the higher button placement on the left side) when I use my Astak unit instead.

Last edited by Spiffy; 05-21-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:

Another one: too thin is annoying. Sure, its lighter, but its also correspondingly more awkward.

I have to agree, there is a certain point that you reach where thinness is not desirable. I have to say even though my EB1150 is the biggest and heaviest of my ereaders I still think it was the most comfortable to hold.

I really liked that on the back it had that rubber grip material.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #24
Spiffy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
If I were buying a device now, I'd probably go for the Pocketbook 360. It looks like a joy to hold and use.

I'm curious if the unit can be flipped over so the big buttons face the LEFT side with everything on the screen oriented properly. If you can basically turn it upside down and use it, I mean.

Seems like it would be a useful feature, and far more practical with this design than most (where the screen isn't top/bottom centered so perfectly)
Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #25
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
what I see in that first picture (your left hand pic) is you putting all the weight onto your fingers--the palm of your hand isn't involved at all. And that's where, for most people I think, the strength and stability is--using their palm to distribute the weight load. If you just use your fingers, all the strain is transferred pretty much directly to your wrist. Not that its immediately that heavy, but over time I think its cumulative.

Of course what we can't see from that picture is if the unit is also leaning on something at the same time. If so, that would explain the lack of finger/wrist strain.
Good point. Yes, I am holding it completely with my fingers, but that's the way I've held paperbacks for years. And the 505 weighs the same as an average paperback so I'm pretty used to it. But I can see that someone who's not used to holding a book that way may find it uncomfortable after long periods of time.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #26
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:

Whether you are using your left or right hand, its more natural to hold a unit in the middle than from the bottom, presuming you are holding it. So buttons near the bottom are inherently lame in those cases. The only time I can think of when low-down buttons are superior is if your access to the unit is with it resting against something, like a stand, which is sitting on a desk or table. In that case, your hands are likely to be resting ON the desk or table and thus be lower.

Yes, I found my Kindle 2 too thin and slippery, so I ended up using a silicone skin. I also would've preferred a previous-page button on the right (just has one on the left). Also agree that buttons in the middle are more usable.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #27
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
Good point. Yes, I am holding it completely with my fingers, but that's the way I've held paperbacks for years. And the 505 weighs the same as an average paperback so I'm pretty used to it. But I can see that someone who's not used to holding a book that way may find it uncomfortable after long periods of time.

Troy
Also depends how big your hands are, how long your fingers are. I have small hands. A device that's comfortable to your hand might not be to mine.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #28
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
So happy to see all the love for the REB1100/EBW1150 design, even after all these years
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #29
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I tend to like devices with a variety of hand positions for both hands. My PDAs allow mapping of buttons. That lets you change hand positions. My jetBook has 3 basic ways of turning pages and several possible hand positions.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #30
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
buttons on left side

Quote:

I'm curious if the unit can be flipped over so the big buttons face the LEFT side with everything on the screen oriented properly. If you can basically turn it upside down and use it, I mean.

Seems like it would be a useful feature, and far more practical with this design than most (where the screen isn't top/bottom centered so perfectly)
Yes it can be rotated so that the buttons are on the left side. I have a Pocketbook 360 and read it with the buttons on the left side, I also assigned the top button as my next page button and the bottom as my last page button. It seems a bit counter intuitive but it works very well for me.

I have been asked why I read it upside down before though.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote