Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How should we spell "ebook"?
ebook 56 50.00%
e-book 25 22.32%
eBook 31 27.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #61
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
On the web? Not likely. And doing it any other way is a job for an academic scholar, which I make no claims to being (though I am quite proud of my Marital B.S. in Victorian Literature ).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #62
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This quote has also been mis-attributed to a number of other people, including Mark Twain. Can you find an original source for the quote?
For these kinds of questions try http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Main_Page

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #63
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Thanks, Dale.
SPEW WARNING: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_D._Nicoll
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #64
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's moving in on a fairly definitive answer then.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #65
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
who *is* this man ? i want to buy him (several) drinks and just let him ramble on about whatever passes through his head. thank god he has a blog (and that's something i don't say very often).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #66
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Dead? If you speak English, you use it every day!
Incorrect. English is a Germanic language at its base. There are some Latin influences, but it's mostly Germanic.

Most of the Latin influences come by way of French.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #67
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
English is the mentally-deficient offspring of cousins.

Yes, Old English (think: Beowulf) was Germanic. Germanic languages are one branch of the Indo-European family of languages. Another branch contains Latin and it's derivatives, including French. Germanic languages and Romance languages are thus cousins.

At the Norman Conquest of England in 1066, the Old English language was forcibly raped by it's aggressive cousin, and what we today call English is the awkward result of that unholy union.

Since the conquerors imposed their language, the Latinate terms came to be viewed as the "fancier" terms, while the Germanic terms came to be considered more "common". We still speak both languages, which is why we have cars and automobiles.

(Don't confuse this with the current attack on "reader" by "liseuse" - that's an Australian thing.)

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-22-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #68
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Both languages. I speak American, the only language this world needs. Sadly, seems like the good god-fearing language of Amurrica is besieged by threats coming from all four sides of our wonderful planet.

I thought guys named 'Norman' were mostly milquetoast bean-counters--how did they conquer an entire country?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #69
mateo
Enthusiast
mateo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire71
I say ebook. I don't like using a hyphen unless absolutely necessary. I don't like the eBook method because looks too much like eBay, like a web 2.0 way of spelling stuff.
mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #70
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
then again how about iEbook? Of course these would be the Apple versions of ebook.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #71
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
then again how about iEbook?
Aieee!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #72
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I thought guys named 'Norman' were mostly milquetoast bean-counters--how did they conquer an entire country?
The Norman Conquest was so-called because the invaders came from Normandy; not because it was an army of chaps all called Norman.
That would have been a logistical nightmare .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #73
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
The Norman Conquest was so-called because the invaders came from Normandy; not because it was an army of chaps all called Norman.
That would have been a logistical nightmare .
hee hee hee !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #74
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
ebook and pbook (thus capitalized ).
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #75
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Thumbs up

Never one to miss a chance to waste my time and vote in useless polls I was drawn irresistibly to this thread and thought I'd contribute by seeing what Google says.
So I googled "ebook" and the entries it came up with in order were:
1. eBook
2. E-book
3. e-book
4. ebook
and then I saw the magic phrase "free ebooks" and got distracted, cos if they're free, I don't care how you spell it.

And I've just noticed that my Firefox spellchecker marks nos 2 and 3 above as correct, and 1 and 4 as wrong. So that probably does prove that William the Conqueror's real name was Norman. Though of course all his colleagues called him William the B**tard. Not a lot of people know that.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote