Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Reviewing Sigil edits in Reader software

After making changes in an epub and deciding it is finished, the acid test is to read it in the Reader software to make sure everything looks good.

I bought an epub (from B&N for the first time) which did not have DRM and as I normally do when the formatting is not as I like it, I edited the epub, and especially the CSS, to get paragraph spacing and indentation as desired.

The epub looks great in Sigil BV but once I import it into either Adobe Digital Editions or Reader software, the epub looks like the CSS has no effect and the defaults are being used.

I have compared this epub to numerous others I have changed and cannot see a difference which would cause this. Any ideas? Or questions which might get me on the right track.
--MH

Last edited by dynabook; 07-16-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: word correction
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
After making changes in an epub and deciding it is finished, the acid test is to read it in the Reader software to make sure everything looks good.

I bought an epub (from B&N for the first time) which did not have DRM and as I normally do when the formatting is not as I like it, I edited the epub, and especially the CSS, to get paragraph spacing and indentation as desired.

The epub looks great in Sigil BV but once I import it into either Adobe Digital Editions or Reader software, the epub looks like the CSS has no effect and the defaults are being used.

I have compared this epub to numerous others I have changed and cannot see a difference which would cause this. Any ideas? Or questions which might get me on the right track.
--MH
1 tiny typo in the CSS and Adobe ignores all or that part.
Use the w3c CSS Validatior
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
If ADE is ignoring the style sheet, it probably means there's an error somewhwere in the CSS. You can check it here.

Whereas Sigil and some readers are more tolerant of CSS errors, ADE will disregard the entire CSS file if contains so much as a single misplaced semicolon.

And many stand-alone readers are based on the ADE engine.

Oops. Theducks beat me to it.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I would agree with what everyone has mentioned about a typo in the CSS somewhere.

But I also wanted to caution you about giving "epub looks great in Sigil BV" very much significance in the first place. It's alright for getting a ballpark idea that things are generally the way you want them, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time fine-tuning/tweaking layouts in Sigil's Book View. Only because it's using a renderer that most dedicated eReaders simply don't use.

I'm pretty sure that in this case (like the others have mentioned), the differences are due to the fact that there's an error causing ADE to abandon your CSS, but I assure you the opposite can happen, too. You can have an ePub that renders fine (correctly) in ADE, but not in Sigil's Book View. ADE is still the measuring stick to go by, in those instances—in my opinion.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I would agree with what everyone has mentioned about a typo in the CSS somewhere.

But I also wanted to caution you about giving "epub looks great in Sigil BV" very much significance in the first place. It's alright for getting a ballpark idea that things are generally the way you want them, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time fine-tuning/tweaking layouts in Sigil's Book View. Only because it's using a renderer that most dedicated eReaders simply don't use.

I'm pretty sure that in this case (like the others have mentioned), the differences are due to the fact that there's an error causing ADE to abandon your CSS, but I assure you the opposite can happen, too. You can have an ePub that renders fine (correctly) in ADE, but not in Sigil's Book View. ADE is still the measuring stick to go by, in those instances—in my opinion.
Great point.
There are valid things that Sigil displays properly that ADE trips over itself on. Learning to code around these is a good thing (see the ADE thread in EPUB forum)
Simple example: a 50% HR is supposed to auto center (sigil show it there)

What you have to do in ADE is ALSO make the Left Margin 25% to put it in the correct place.
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. The W3C CSS validator found that missing semicolon.
--MH
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
Thanks. The W3C CSS validator found that missing semicolon.
--MH
They are are hard to spot sometimes, especially when you have a colon vs semi-colon

Last edited by theducks; 07-17-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
dynabook
Techno-geek

I am not for loading Sigil down with unnecessary features but some sort of minimal CSS checking would be great. Although this was caused but a cut-and-paste operation, these kind of things are easy for the computer, hard for the eyes.
--MH
Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Among a myriad of other things, css checking was discussed as being part of a potential future plug in setup, for the exact reason you stated, so as to not load down Sigil. Right now they are trying to make Solomonic decisions about how to cut Gordian knot for the .6 version!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Leverpullr
Leverpullr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/generic android tablet
I agree..previewing in other readers/emulators is never a perfect experience. On my first conversion from Mobi to EPUB (more of a start over truthfully..) I was very surprised to see the numerous 'issues' ADE had with what should have been a well formed EPUB. Then comparing that to using an actual iPad via their previewer software was quite an eye opener.

I recommend to use ADE but become familiar with its bugs or should I say 'undocumented features'. Coming from Kindle production I knew that the Kindle for PC was not to be trusted as it was way buggier than the actual devices when it came to as designed feature set display on the Kindle. I am pleased though with how well the NOOK for PC application accurately displays EPUB and use it as one of my main pre-release quality assurance checks.
Leverpullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Please be aware that ADE does have some bugs, but it is not that dramatically. It is much better than iBooks and all other web-browser based programs. Those programs all consider ePUB as a collection of webpages. It isn't. Not everything in the XHTML and CSS stack is supported in ePUB2. That is not a limitation of ADE, but a design decision of the IDPF.
In fact, iBooks has much, much more quirks than ADE.

Also, conversions are NEVER 100%. Always expect rework, it all depends on the source. If it works in ADE, it usually works on almost all readers.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Please be aware that ADE does have some bugs, but it is not that dramatically. It is much better than iBooks and all other web-browser based programs. Those programs all consider ePUB as a collection of webpages. It isn't. Not everything in the XHTML and CSS stack is supported in ePUB2. That is not a limitation of ADE, but a design decision of the IDPF.
In fact, iBooks has much, much more quirks than ADE.

Also, conversions are NEVER 100%. Always expect rework, it all depends on the source. If it works in ADE, it usually works on almost all readers.
AMEN, brother.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote