Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #1261
luigi454
luigi454 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (Wi-Fi only; non 3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
current versions are on this link:
okay, so I found (K3)2013-08-15.28865.rtm and got that installed, but I cannot find the english option anywhere and I've tried every setting >_< Also online ppl seem to be talking about 2012. Do I have the wrong version?
luigi454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #1262
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi454 View Post
okay, so I found (K3)2013-08-15.28865.rtm and got that installed, but I cannot find the english option anywhere and I've tried every setting >_< Also online ppl seem to be talking about 2012. Do I have the wrong version?
this is the easiest way to change the language.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #1263
luigi454
luigi454 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (Wi-Fi only; non 3G)
Quote:
this is the easiest way to change the language.
I don't have a DK_System\xKindle\config.ini file >_< does one need to be created?
luigi454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #1264
Evaristo
Evaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle K4 Black
Is it possible to add a hack like Kual/Librerator on top of Duokan (in a k4 device) or alternatively to strip down some of the components of Duokan (in particular the PDF-related) and put them in the normal Kindle OS to start-up within a menu in KUAL?

The background for my question is the following:
1) The PDF Reflow of Librerator crashes frequently with many PDF files in K4, whereas the Reflow and even normal PDF view in Duokan works way better.
2) Duokan has ceased, probably for good, to have the ability to read djvu files, which I use, and Librerator can read.
3) Up to now I have to restart the Kindle each time to switch between OSs, when I want to read a djvu or a pdf document. I know of the Kual option to switch to Duokan, but I don't think it is the possible to switch then back without a reboot.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Evaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #1265
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Well, if Duokan actually was open source: probably yes. Since it isn't (which in fact violates various licenses AFAIK), Duokan is only "tolerated" by the majority of people here, but not supported.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #1266
Evaristo
Evaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of lightEvaristo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle K4 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Well, if Duokan actually was open source: probably yes. Since it isn't (which in fact violates various licenses AFAIK), Duokan is only "tolerated" by the majority of people here, but not supported.
Thanks for your reply! I guess I will then have to wait and hope that Koreader can be also used in a K4 some time in the future.
Evaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #1267
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi454 View Post
I don't have a DK_System\xKindle\config.ini file >_< does one need to be created?
You may have to open a document before looking for this file.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #1268
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I would just like to say that "thomass" has been tireless however in his support of those who DO choose to go down the road of using it. Kudos to him.
I used to use DuoKan especially for PDFs. Since we have KOReader I don't use it anymore for a considerably large time and since then on this thread only try to help people for their problems about DuoKan if it does not cost much time. Actually I lost my interest on DuoKan almost completely. (I didn't have any professional connection with DuoKan Team.)

However their application for Android could be one of the better way to reflow scientific documents on these devices. I have it on my device didn't use it much though. Personally I don't know any other app has the similar approach on reflowing. But still it has also some issues with open source ,etc. (I think they are probably using k2pdfopt for this function)

BTW They ignore non-Chinese people much since they started to sell books for the OS in China and (I think) even much more since xiaomi acquired the firm. What I mean is what I am doing on this thread has almost no effect on their profits since "we" are out of their scope and therefore now they could have no interest on this thread , though they responded my emails about the OS before.

Last edited by thomass; 09-18-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #1269
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@thomass: thanks, interesting information.

If I understand this correctly, they don't give a shit about software licenses and happily help themselves without ever giving back, AND they make money with it. This is where my sympathy definitely ends.

I suggest that whoever finds a jailbreak method for the upcoming Paperwhite 2 explicitly states in the accompanying license that it is expressly forbidden to use or adapt the method for parasitic projects such as DuoKan and Kindlean.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #1270
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
If I understand this correctly, they don't give a shit about software licenses
Actually they shared licences of (some) softwares they're using here.

Last edited by thomass; 09-20-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #1271
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Actually they shared licences of (some) softwares they're using here.
And some of those require that the source used be distributed if the binary is distributed.

For example, if the copyright holders of PANGO and MUPDF ever enforce their license rights and have the non-compliant use of their software pulled from the project - Duokan would not be of much use.
(There are other examples admitted to in that page.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #1272
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Shameless
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #1273
lisq1
lisq1 began at the beginning.

Device: lbook v3+, Onyx I62, K4NT
when I turn on mobi file, the system reset. Other formats work. What could it be?
Today I instal update, it still the same.

Last edited by lisq1; 09-28-2013 at 02:13 PM.
lisq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #1274
andy1m
Enthusiast
andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: K4NT, PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisq1 View Post
when I turn on mobi file, the system reset. Other formats work. What could it be?
Today I instal update, it still the same.
Mine no problem opening mobi file. Try other mobi files.
andy1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #1275
rorogio
Enthusiast
rorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kindle PW
how to make screenshot on KPW with Duokan 2013?
rorogio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf