Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
Amazon Gift Cards and the Kindle Store

Somewhere, either here or in the Amazon Kindle Users forum I think I read a post saying that Amazon Gift Cards couldn't be used to purchase downloadable items. I asked Kindle Support about this yesterday and received this answer tonight.

Hello from Amazon.com.

Using an Amazon Gift Card to buy content from the Kindle store is easy. Simply redeem the Gift Card to your Amazon.com account before you make a purchase. When you click the "Buy with 1-Click" button, any available Gift Card balance on your account will automatically be applied to the purchase before your credit or debit card is charged.

Content from the Amazon Kindle store is only available to customers with a credit or debit card issued by a U.S bank with a U.S. billing address listed as the default 1-Click payment method. To successfully complete your purchase, you must have a valid payment method listed even if you intend to pay for your entire purchase with a Gift Card.

Note: Amazon Gift Cards cannot be used to pay subscription fees.

Information on this topic also appears on the Kindle Support pages at this URL:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

That's a relief since I hope to get Amazon Gift Cards this Christmas and will use them to feed our growing ebook addiction! I may even have my very own Kindle by then.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
Somewhere, either here or in the Amazon Kindle Users forum I think I read a post saying that Amazon Gift Cards couldn't be used to purchase downloadable items. I asked Kindle Support about this yesterday and received this answer tonight.

Hello from Amazon.com.

Using an Amazon Gift Card to buy content from the Kindle store is easy. Simply redeem the Gift Card to your Amazon.com account before you make a purchase. When you click the "Buy with 1-Click" button, any available Gift Card balance on your account will automatically be applied to the purchase before your credit or debit card is charged.

Content from the Amazon Kindle store is only available to customers with a credit or debit card issued by a U.S bank with a U.S. billing address listed as the default 1-Click payment method. To successfully complete your purchase, you must have a valid payment method listed even if you intend to pay for your entire purchase with a Gift Card.

Note: Amazon Gift Cards cannot be used to pay subscription fees.

Information on this topic also appears on the Kindle Support pages at this URL:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

That's a relief since I hope to get Amazon Gift Cards this Christmas and will use them to feed our growing ebook addiction! I may even have my very own Kindle by then.
Someone had posted there that you couldn't use gift cards anymore......don't know where they got that info. I've been using them from day one. And my kids know exactly what to get me for Christmas and birthdays......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I know that in the beginning you couldn't use gift cards but that changed.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Hello from Amazon.com.
Hmm this statement seems to contradict with what other people claim from experience:

Quote:
5. Apply the Gift Certificate to your account
6. FINALLY, you should now be able to buy books on the Kindle. Remember to keep your gift certificate topped up with enough credit for what you are purchasing. You will select which Kindle to send the book to wirelessly from the 1-click setting (even though your book won’t be delivered via this method).
7. To download your purchased books and sync to your Kindle via USB, go to your digital downloads on AmazonBe sure to click on the Downloads tab, then you should be able to see your previously purchased bookClick the Download to computer button (note that if you have several Kindles on one account, you need to select which Kindle you want to download for, otherwise the DRM won’t recognise it).
http://www.nerdgirl.com/2008/07/29/a...utside-the-us/
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
myridom
Enthusiast
myridom doesn't littermyridom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I took my change to a coinstar machine and got an Amazon certificate and applied it to my account and my book purchases come off of that first. This way I don't have it coming out of my Check Card, which I normally use for Amazon purchases. If I use all the certificate, I'll just do the same thing again. Keeps a limit on my spending that way.
myridom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
cush
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Hmm this statement seems to contradict with what other people claim from experience:

http://www.nerdgirl.com/2008/07/29/a...utside-the-us/
Hi Tad.

I guess I don't see the inconsistency. Apparently one must have a US credit card account with Amazon, which I suppose most of us do (??) even if one is planning to pay entirely with a Gift Card. Reading down the comments on nerdgirl's site indicates that the procedure described in her original post doesn't work for those outside the US.

Looks like those outside the US are out of luck unless they have a friend or relative here who can maintain an account for them (and buy and ship a Kindle to them). Hopefully this will be fixed soon but I think there are serious international publishing rights and perhaps tax issues to be overcome.

Last edited by cush; 07-31-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Correct syntax and add info
Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by myridom View Post
I took my change to a coinstar machine and got an Amazon certificate and applied it to my account and my book purchases come off of that first. This way I don't have it coming out of my Check Card, which I normally use for Amazon purchases. If I use all the certificate, I'll just do the same thing again. Keeps a limit on my spending that way.
Yes, but you have a US address and a US credit card. So you are ok. It's only people living outside the US that have a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
ie a mere 95% of people .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
ie a mere 95% of people .
No, it's 0% of the US people!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
choklateice
choklateice began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use them being that the kindle is through amazon.
choklateice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
cush

Because YOU HAVE TO HAVE A US CREDIT CARD on your Amazon account, even if you are using one of their gift cards.

As has been explained many times, Amazon does not knowingly sell content (or the Kindle) to persons outside the US. This is not a slap-as HarryT and BoB- point out above, at 95% of the world's population, but Amazon's attempt to observe the copyright laws and their agreements with publishers restricting foreign distribution.

You can bet that Amazon would love to sell internationally but the copyright problems (oops, politically incorrect!!- issues) and foreign wireless (Whispernet) provider jumble must be daunting.

Last edited by cush; 10-22-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because YOU HAVE TO HAVE A US CREDIT CARD on your Amazon account, even if you are using one of their gift cards.

As has been explained many times, Amazon does not knowingly sell content (or the Kindle) to persons outside the US. This is not a slap at, as HarryT points out 95% of the world's population, but Amazon's attempt to observe the copyright laws and their agreements with publishers restricting foreign distribution.

You can bet that Amazon would love to sell internationally but the copyright problems (oops, politically incorrect!!- issues) and foreign wireless (Whispernet) provider jumble must be daunting.
I don't think choklateice is familiar with the ongoing discussions about this seeing as they don't have a device. It would be a legitimate post for a 'newbie'..........
Old 10-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
cush

Sorry to seem grumpy DG. I've been spending too much time over at the Amazon Forum which tends to drive me nuts. You are, of course, correct and choklatice please accept my apology if I was too abrupt.

The subject of international Kindleing is poorly understood and questions about it abound. I hope Amazon can get the Kindle on the international market soon so everyone can enjoy Kindleing. Other readers can be used but apparently the content is more restricted that Amazon's large catalog.

As an aside, I am amazed that our service people abroad, even if they have a US credit card account on Amazon, apparently cannot get content sent to them via the internet or a Kindle shipped to them via an FPO/APO address. I wonder if the embassy State Department folks have this problem?

Last edited by cush; 10-22-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Sorry to seem grumpy DG. I've been spending too much time over at the Amazon Forum which tends to drive me nuts. You are, of course, correct and choklatice please accept my apology if I was too abrupt.

The subject of international Kindleing is poorly understood and questions about it abound. I hope Amazon can get the Kindle on the international market soon so everyone can enjoy Kindleing. Other readers can be used but apparently the content is more restricted that Amazon's large

As an aside, I am amazed that our service people abroad, even if they have a US credit card account on Amazon, apparently cannot get content sent to them via the internet or a Kindle shipped to them via an FPO/APO address. I wonder if the embassy State Department folks have this problem?
Oh, I understand completely your frustration with the amazon kindle discussion forums. wah wah wah.
As far as the service people abroad wanting kindles, this question was answered very well and in detail by a nice lady under the "CTmom" handle.....I"m pasting it here, made sense to me.........
----------------
"Lesley9 wrote:
Lots of items must get delivered to individual soldiers from APO addresses. Some of these products must get damaged/lost in shipment. How does the military handle these since it would be under their supervision/control? Does the end user soldier just have to "eat" the cost of the damaged/lost products?
---------------

The easiest way to handle it is to ship it to your own address & then ship it yourself, insured via US Mail & if anything is damaged you can personally file a claim with the Postal Service.

It's not up to the military to deal with lost/damaged mail. They have enough to deal with. Try to imagine getting mail out to depoloyed ships for example. They move. You get the mail there however you can. Sometimes it goes it with whomever is travelling to the ship/unit- in someone's seabag. That means that boxes might have to stay behind & wait until the ship pulls into a scheduled port call- it could be months before something arrives- if it's perishable it will be spoiled right? No company wants to take responsibility for that. If it goes in a seabag it could be crushed. If it travels the world it could get crushed- these companies have no way of knowing WHERE an APO/FPO will actually end up sending something, so they choose not to send it at all. When you're placing orders over the holidays this year take a minute to notice how many companies say, "will not ship to APO/FPO addresses"- it's very common. They simply cannot guarantee their product so they choose not to ship at all. It's sad but true.

And the soldiers/sailors/service members do not have time to wrestle with retailers about damaged goods either. They don't have endless hours to spend on the phone or writing letters to sort out the mess. When my husband is deployed his port time is not going to be spent dealing with a broken shipment. He's just as likely to ignore it & wait until he gets home (which will be too late) or just give me the information to see if I can sort it out. And of course, if he never gets something, it may be months before we realize it."
Old 10-23-2008, 05:11 AM   #15
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
For Curiosities sake, I was wondering if any of the people outside of the US had gotten and tried one of those PrePaid Credit Cards you can get with the kindle store.

As mentioned, you don't have to use it, but you just need one registered on your account.

If such a card is accepted, it does give a viable option to those who want to buy a kindle.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote