Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
DavyL
DavyL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Unhappy Kindle 3.1 updated pushed to my device, now stuck at boot screen (tree screen)?

Hi Guys,

This morning I connected my Kindle (3 WiFi international) to the WiFi to receive my calibre downloaded news, and turned it off after receiving it. Later that day I turn my Kindle on, and it's stuck on the "please wait a moment while your kindle starts up" tree bootup screen, while I like the image, I can't seem to get the device to reboot or continue?

I'm guessing the Kindle 3.1 update was pushed to my device, and it started updating it as soon as I turned my screen off. Strange that it didn't ask me for confirmation..

I was running 3.0.2 (or .1 not sure) and used 0.2 jailbrake and screensaver and font hack. All the post regarding the firmware update mention that you won't experience an problem except to fact that you can't remove the hacks anymore.

What is up with my device? Am I alone with this problem? What should I do? I tried holding the off-button for 15 seconds but nothing happens. When I plug in the power connector the orange light goes one, that's only interaction it offers at the moment.

Looking forward to your tips!

Okay: TL;DR version:
  • Kindle 3 WiFi International
  • Running 3.0.2 (or .1) jailbroken + font & screensaver hack
  • Rebooted after connecting to WiFi (my guess is Kindle 3.1 firmware pushed)
  • Stuck in reboot screen: "Please wait a moment while your kindle starts up"
  • Hard reset (15s hold on slider) does not work

Cheers,
Davy

Last edited by DavyL; 02-23-2011 at 02:35 PM.
DavyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
nwm... Misread that and thought you meant the old screen saver when you said tree...

Sounds strange that it won't boot properly, haven't heard anyone else with that problem. Hop someone has better input than me (or that it starts suddenly).

Last edited by RexGalore; 02-23-2011 at 11:01 AM.
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
DavyL

My device is stuck, on the "please wait a moment while your kindle starts up" for about 8 hours now.. This has nothing to do with with the fact that I want to get my custom screensavers back.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

After I updated my Kindle it Hung to. I had to Hard reset to start it again. Keep the Power button pressed for 15 seconds and then release it. Then wait for some time. I hope this helps you.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
I might be going out on a limb here, but try letting it charge for 20 mins or so, then try holding the slide switch for 20+ seconds until something happens on the screen.

If what I suggested was fruitless or not useful, I suggest giving Kindle Support a call. Though I wouldn't mention the hacks when describing your problem. 1-866-321-8851
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
There's always a slight (very, very slight) chancing of bricking something during a firmware update, even if you didn't have it hacked.

And really, unless you do a survey of thousands of Kindles, it's impossible to say that hacked ones have the same brick rate as unhacked ones. They might. But it's just an assumption when the hack maker's doesn't brick.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
This probably won't help you, but if the battery power is too low the Kindle might not be able to boot ?

Maybe it ran out of power while updating ? but I really don't think it would even try a update if the power levels weren't high enough.

Good luck, though.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
This probably won't help you, but if the battery power is too low the Kindle might not be able to boot ?

Maybe it ran out of power while updating ? but I really don't think it would even try a update if the power levels weren't high enough.

Good luck, though.
I would connect it to a charger for the night. Things like updates needs a surprisingly amount of battery- power
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
DavyL

When I received the upgrade the power was higher than 80%, I will try a charge but it would be very strange if that fixes it.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What happens when you reboot the Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
DavyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What happens when you reboot the Kindle?
If you know another way than "Hard reset (15s hold on slider) does not work" I would be very happy to try it.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
gASK
gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.gASK can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 3
Have you tried holding the slider longer? 15 seconds is not enough. My Kindle takes 20-something seconds to reboot. At first I also tried the 15s as mentioned, but it only turns off the Kindle. You have to hold it for as long as you can and release it after it starts "doing something" (eg rebooting),

Ignore it if you're doing it right all the time
gASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #13
DavyL

will give it a go, have indeed tried for longer than 15seconds. Not sure if I;ve ever been longer than a minute, but it would be very strange..
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Give it an overnight charge. Then hold the power button to the right for a full 60 seconds.

If that fails, go to your account page at Amazon and have CS call you. They will send you a new Kindle as a replacement.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #15
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
As others have said, although the manual suggests sliding the switch over and holding it for 15 seconds many have found that you must hold it longer than that. If it hasn't started a reboot by 45-60 seconds, though, I would say you have no other alternative than to contact CS for a replacement.
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote