Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
jibanes
jibanes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Would the PRS-950 be appropriate for me?

Hello,

I'm the current owner of a PRS-500, and its upgraded model, the PRS-505. I love it, minor a few issues (battery life, issues with some SD cards, etc.) The screen quality of the PRS-505 is good, and I do like the metal (non plastic) casing (although I wish it was black, I might have to paint it someday).

I read mostly newspapers, technical documentation, foreign comics and documents in foreign languages (chinese, french, etc.) occasionally I read books, mostly in PDF. I think that the PRS-505 deals poorly with resizing/reflowing and comics, mostly due to its old(er) software, processing capabilities and other things. The documents I'm usually carrying are sizeable (16GB total or more, spread between few hundred books). Finally, I use Linux and other unix-es derivatives, which prevent the use of propriertary software to communicate with the reader.

My PRS-505 is getting old, and the screen is generally too small for my uses, would it be appropriate to upgrade it to a PRS-950 when available (november?) I've heard that the screen would be of similar quality, including the grayscale modes. Or would I rather orientate my choice towards another reader (Kindle or the like...). Please share your thoughts.

Thank you,
Jerome
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Kindle because Amazon offers way more selection for newspapers and magazines. I've seen the DX in action and it is beautiful. The keyboard is a bonus for searching and typing notes faster. Also the free 3G service is great when you're on the go and need to download your content to your device. Too bad I'm a sucker for touch screen or else I would have went with a Kindle long time ago.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
stay with the Sony my 900 is great for books and newspapers.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
jibanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
Kindle because Amazon offers way more selection for newspapers and magazines. I've seen the DX in action and it is beautiful. The keyboard is a bonus for searching and typing notes faster. Also the free 3G service is great when you're on the go and need to download your content to your device. Too bad I'm a sucker for touch screen or else I would have went with a Kindle long time ago.
But I think the Kindle DX doesn't offer expantion slots?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
TommyT
TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Kindle has no expansion slots so you will have problem with your files and Kindle has much worse pdf support than newer sony devices. Kindle DX is MUCH larger than sony, which is a good thing for seeing the entire page without reflowing, but also a bad thing because dx is just way too big to carry around for some.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
jibanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Kindle has no expansion slots so you will have problem with your files and Kindle has much worse pdf support than newer sony devices. Kindle DX is MUCH larger than sony, which is a good thing for seeing the entire page without reflowing, but also a bad thing because dx is just way too big to carry around for some.
You are right, the 900 however is very thick, do we know if the 950 would be a little slimmer? Also I do not like the eink display used on the 900, I think the 950 will be of better quality, correct (such as the difference between 600 and 505 or 650).

Finally, would it be possible to use the Wifi on the 950 to go to non-ebook related commercial sites to download files or simply view pages?

What's the maximal capacity the 950 may receive using SD+MC cards? 9+32GB or more such as 32+64GB for instance (given that the cost is not to be considered)?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibanes View Post
You are right, the 900 however is very thick, do we know if the 950 would be a little slimmer? Also I do not like the eink display used on the 900, I think the 950 will be of better quality, correct (such as the difference between 600 and 505 or 650).

Finally, would it be possible to use the Wifi on the 950 to go to non-ebook related commercial sites to download files or simply view pages?

What's the maximal capacity the 950 may receive using SD+MC cards? 9+32GB or more such as 32+64GB for instance (given that the cost is not to be considered)?

It is slimmer, at least it looks slimmer from the released pics. But the big difference is in weight, it's suppose to me much lighter.

The 950 will heave a Pearl screen, which means better contrast than the 900. And the new touchscreen is infrared, so no additional layer, which means no glare.

The 950 will have a basic web browser. I am not sure about the details there. And yes, the web browser will work only over WiFi, not over the 3g connection.

I don't know about max capacity. But have you tried loading even 10 Gb of ebooks on a card and putting it in a SONY device? They freeze to a standstill... so, max capacity supported is pretty irrelevant. Unless the firmware receives a major overhaul, you just can't put much stuff on a SONY reader...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
retnepracvt
retnepracvt began at the beginning.

Device: had a 600 - returned it for a 900
You might look at the content you'll be viewing. Most free books are in epub - which my 900 loves. Even the illustrated epubs. I don't think the Kindle does this format. As for capacity - I only use the interior 1.6 gig memory. My unit is 3/4 full and currently holds 600 books. Who needs more than 600 books, to carry around in 1 device? I love my Sony!
retnepracvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
The dimensions of the 950 are approximately 2 inches taller and wider as well as 4 onces heavier. Whatever advances the 650 has, you can depend on those improvements in the 950 and possibly others as well. The WiFi/3G is great for daily newspapers, and it is very likely that none, including the NYT, will be free in the very near future.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinca View Post
The dimensions of the 950 are approximately 2 inches taller and wider as well as 4 onces heavier. Whatever advances the 650 has, you can depend on those improvements in the 950 and possibly others as well. The WiFi/3G is great for daily newspapers, and it is very likely that none, including the NYT, will be free in the very near future.
2 inches taller than what? The 650?

Based on this picture here, the 950 is slightly smaller than the 900:
Sony Reader 900 vs. 950

The article that accompanies Engadget's picture says that the 950 weighs .5 pounds. In the 8oz range would seem right, since the 650 weighs 7+ oz.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
jackinca
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
2 inches taller than what? The 650?

Based on this picture here, the 950 is slightly smaller than the 900:
Sony Reader 900 vs. 950

The article that accompanies Engadget's picture says that the 950 weighs .5 pounds. In the 8oz range would seem right, since the 650 weighs 7+ oz.
2 inches taller and wider than the 900. Please refer to the stats on the Sony site. Type in "PRS 950" and you will get the dimensions. By the way it is apprx. 2 and 1/4 inches thick. The weight is in error. Sony surely meant 1.23 lbs not ounces.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
2 inches taller and wider than the 900. Please refer to the stats on the Sony site. Type in "PRS 950" and you will get the dimensions. By the way it is apprx. 2 and 1/4 inches thick. The weight is in error. Sony surely meant 1.23 lbs not ounces.
This is the official PRS 950 page, and they haven't put up any specifications there. It would be nice if you could provide a link to these specifications, since I'm unable to find them anywhere on any of Sonys pages.

But surely you must realize that these specifications must be wrong? A reader that is 2 and 1/4 inches thick and that weighs 1.23 lbs is so ridiculous that I can't understand why you continue to spread this information around. Just looking at the pictures on Sonys page immediately shows that this must be completely wrong. It is probably the size and weight of the whole package, as someone suggested in another thread.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post
This is the official PRS 950 page, and they haven't put up any specifications there. It would be nice if you could provide a link to these specifications, since I'm unable to find them anywhere on any of Sonys pages.

But surely you must realize that these specifications must be wrong? A reader that is 2 and 1/4 inches thick and that weighs 1.23 lbs is so ridiculous that I can't understand why you continue to spread this information around. Just looking at the pictures on Sonys page immediately shows that this must be completely wrong. It is probably the size and weight of the whole package, as someone suggested in another thread.
It's gotta be the whole package. 2.25" is a HUGE thickness. It'd make it the most overbloated reader in existence.

This 950 here definitely isn't taller, wider, or thicker than the 900 right next to it: http://www.engadget.com/photos/sony-...ds-on/#3315563
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
jackinca
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post

As indicated previously, if you go to the sony ebook reader site and at the top search type in PRS 950 you will find the dimensions cited there.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
As indicated previously, if you go to the sony ebook reader site and at the top search type in PRS 950 you will find the dimensions cited there.
So I see you are talking about the "Quick Look" pane that is brought up from the search.

Unfortunately, there is no way the dimensions are correct. Real 950s have been in people's hands, and show that the height/width is roughly the same, while the thickness is smaller than the 900.

2 inches thick should be a huge clue that the dimensions are likely the packaging dimensions, not the unit itself. There hasn't been an E-reader shipped that is more than 1", let alone more than 2" thick.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote