Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-05-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am looking for a tool that could automate convertion of...

I am looking for an automated tool to convert words between underscores into italic format?

For example:
Source:
All of the _features_ here are _present_ in existing browsers

Result:
All of the features here are present in existing browsers

Thanks.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I'd say that we would need a bit more information about the context and the format of the text to transform.

Do you want to create HTML ?
Is it part of a Word document ?
What is the format of the starting text (Mobi, LRF, TXT, ...) ?
What kind of system are you using (Windows, Max, Linux, ...) ?

EDIT :
if these answers are implicit because the people for which this is intended know your situation well, then you can ignore this message, of course.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The source text is TXT file.
I am using Windows XP 32bit.

The end result might be anyting, RTF, DOC, HTML....I will convert it to LRF in Book Designer.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you got Microsoft Word? If so, you can do that with Word's search and Replace -
make a backup in case it goes wrong and open in Word
get the find and Replace window up
click 'More' and select 'Use wildcards'
in 'Find what', put '_(*)_'
in 'Replace with', put '\1', click 'Format' at the bottom and select Font -> Italic
then click 'Replace' or 'Replace all'
(omit quotation marks)

bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrjl View Post
Have you got Microsoft Word? If so, you can do that with Word's search and Replace -
in 'Replace with', put '\1', click 'Format' at the bottom and select Font -> Italic
(omit quotation marks)

bob
Sounds fun!
I will try it as soon as I get home and let you know.
Thanks a lot.
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nothing like getting rid of an hour's repetitious labour in 5 microseconds ..

bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrjl View Post
(omit quotation marks)

bob
Hey, I didn't know we could use something like regexp in Word Search and Replace.
That opens some interesting avenues.
Just to test, I used '_([0-9]*)_' as a search string and was able to transform _123_ into italics.

Last edited by Gaurnim; 12-08-2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Looking at your original post and the conversion that you want to make, I think you might be able to use GUItenMark -- a GUI interface to GutenMark. GutenMark is a command-line utility which aims to provide a completely automatic system for formatting Project Gutenberg etexts, converting them to HTML. Recent updates have made GutenMark very suitable for personal (and none PG) projects.

GUItenMark is a very handy tool that I use when working with PG texts.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
_italic_ and *bold* markup is supported by markdown converter in Calibre, so you can just use Calibre to convert your TXT file. Or you can use markdown-calibre.exe and redirect its output to an HTML file.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
_italic_ and *bold* markup is supported by markdown converter in Calibre, so you can just use Calibre to convert your TXT file. Or you can use markdown-calibre.exe and redirect its output to an HTML file.
Thank. I don't use Calibre, so I didn't know about this feature.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi astra,

I use a very simple freeware command-line program called "textify" for doing my initial processing of text files, as a precursor to loading them into Book Designer. It carries out a number of formatting operations, including the option of replacing _text_ with text, if outputting an HTML file.

I'll be happy to upload it if you'd like to have a look at it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hi astra,

I use a very simple freeware command-line program called "textify" for doing my initial processing of text files, as a precursor to loading them into Book Designer. It carries out a number of formatting operations, including the option of replacing _text_ with text, if outputting an HTML file.

I'll be happy to upload it if you'd like to have a look at it.
No. Thanks a lot HarryT nonetheless.

I have sorted it in Word as advised. It worked very well. Let's say it is very unsual situation in "my practice", I never encountered this type of files before, although I was aware about it.

P.S.
Is it your software? What other editing does it do?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
No. Thanks a lot HarryT nonetheless.

I have sorted it in Word as advised. It worked very well. Let's say it is very unsual situation in "my practice", I never encountered this type of files before, although I was aware about it.

P.S.
Is it your software? What other editing does it do?
No, I didn't write it. I honestly don't know remember where I got it from - I've had it for years. It's mainly of use for processing PG files. It removes unnecessary line breaks so you get continous paragraphs and will also optionally convert the text file to simple HTML, putting in paragraph tags and replacing simple markup such as _X_ and *X* with italic and bold respectively.

I find it a very useful program; it's normally the tool I start off using when I begin to create a book from a PG text file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If you work with PG text files a lot, check out GutenMark.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #15
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I didn't write it. I honestly don't know remember where I got it from - I've had it for years. It's mainly of use for processing PG files. It removes unnecessary line breaks so you get continous paragraphs and will also optionally convert the text file to simple HTML, putting in paragraph tags and replacing simple markup such as _X_ and *X* with italic and bold respectively.

I find it a very useful program; it's normally the tool I start off using when I begin to create a book from a PG text file.
Hi Harry,

if it is freeware I would appreciate a link - can't have too many options for text formatting, although I am finally penetrating the mysteries of SED and AWK.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote