Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
triq200
triq200 began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad IRex
Developer Docs?

I just got the developer package installed on my Iliad. I can run mrxvt. Great. Now I'm looking around for any kind of documentation. Is there such a thing?

I just want to write a simple install script or app that I can run from a CF card to setup some folder entries under Documents. Can scripts and executables be run on a non-developer-package Iliad?

Maybe this is all in some docs somewhere but I have looked at the Irex site, on the Iliad, in the mobile read forums and can't find any. Am I missing something?

Thanks
triq200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Developing on the iLiad isn't much different than any other Linux computer. There are a few tutorials in the forums and wiki. There is not "official" documentation, but if you look around, you should find everything you need to get started.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
triq200

Thanks, I keep looking. What is the difference between an Iliad with the 'Developer Package' one without. Is that documented anywhere?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The "Developer Package" allows you to run shell scripts from the contentlister. It also gives you the ability to reflash your iLiad with a CF card. Nothing else is changed.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by triq200 View Post
I just want to write a simple install script or app that I can run from a CF card to setup some folder entries under Documents. Can scripts and executables be run on a non-developer-package Iliad?
You need the developer-package to run scripts. I'm not sure how much documentation there is, but if you are used to shell scripts you should be able to get going by looking at some examples (e.g. unzip them on a PC). One of the simplest is the Automatic .Lit extractor for the iLiad. The important files are manifest.xml and run.sh (which must be listed in manifest.xml to be invoked then the directory is accessed). Many "installation" scripts copy files around, but some of them do this using the ipkg command which may not be what you want to do. Another very simple script example is fbshot via the contentlister.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
triq200

Thanks, the mist is starting to clear. It seems that the mystery of the Iliad is all in the content lister. I have been browsing all the manifest.xml files and if you know the secret keywords it looks like you can make it do all kinds of things.

It seems that the content lister will not allow you to run an executable directly (even with the developer package). I need to run an installer from the content lister on a non-developer-package Iliad. How do you do that? Do I need to create an IPkg?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It seems that the content lister will not allow you to run an executable directly (even with the developer package).
You can only run an executable directly by editing the registry, but this is typically only done if you want to associate the executable with a filetype. Also, in most cases invoking an executable in a shell script has the same effect as running it directly.

Quote:
I need to run an installer from the content lister on a non-developer-package Iliad. How do you do that?
It isn't possible. This is why owners of Chinese iLiads are so angry about being refused access to the developers package. In principle, there might be holes in iRex's defenses against hacking an iLiad without the developer's package. Since the developer's package exists, only the owners of Chinese iLiads are actively searching for the holes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote