Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #76
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
We'll miss you desert blues. Good luck with the book and the computer, and have a wonderful trip to Indonesia.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 AM   #77
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
We'll miss you desert blues. Good luck with the book and the computer, and have a wonderful trip to Indonesia.
ditto! Enjoy your trip :-)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #78
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Thanks. I aim to finish my work as quickly as I can and participate in the club before I go to Indonesia.
Spoiler:
just thinking about my PC can get me in a serious contemplative mood ( to put it mildly) so overall it's best for me to have it over with and done etc
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #79
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Bon Voyage

Last edited by fantasyfan; 01-21-2014 at 09:34 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #80
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Good luck with your book desertblues, and I hope you have a good trip in April!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #81
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Have fun on your travels! Sounds like you take some amazing trips. And best of luck with your computer!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #82
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I've created a goodreads group for our book club. You do not have to join on goodreads to participate in the club here, but if anyone is on goodreads and would like to join it, please do so! Even if you only occasionally participate or usually like to lurk, you are more than welcome to join the club on goodreads if you so desire. Here's the link.

I'm not really sure of the exact purpose of extending our club to a group on goodreads and perhaps not much may happen there, but it seemed like a good idea to at least try for anyone also on that site. I foresee us continuing things normally here and I ask for any selection/nomination discussion to remain here at Mobileread, so I'm not sure what discussions might take place on the goodreads site yet, but anyone is free to start a discussion there and we’ll see what if anything happens.

While I've been setting the group up over there, I did notice something about our recent slate of selections. Going back nine months to last June, we've had a book from a different country win every single month - June/Japan, July/Germany, August/Nigeria, September/U.K., October/Australia, November/Israel, December/Ireland, January/Italy and February will be the U.S. It’s for the best though that the streak will probably end soon since it’s arbitrary and since those countries collectively have such a huge literary output. Some Rotating months focusing on a particular area helped as did the Region category, but nevertheless I think it speaks to our breadth of worldwide interests in this club.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #83
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Signed up. As always thanks for your efforts in making this a great group Sun Surfer.

That's interesting about the international flavor. It shows what a great group we have here.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #84
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I see that we read only one book by an American last year, and he was born in Russia. The selection before that by an American was by an author born in Australia. And given that the current month's selection will be by a Native America, it means we won't have had a selection from a born-in-the-USA-of-incomer-stock author since June 2012 (Hemingway) and counting.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #85
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I see that we read only one book by an American last year, and he was born in Russia. The selection before that by an American was by an author born in Australia. And given that the current month's selection will be by a Native America, it means we won't have had a selection from a born-in-the-USA-of-incomer-stock author since June 2012 (Hemingway) and counting.
Or looked at another way this month will be the first entry by an American author.

What strikes me more than that is how over the history of the club British authors are over represented. Lately it would seem that Australian authors are as well.

Perhaps even more worthy of note is we have yet to have a French, Spanish, Portuguese, Eastern European (outside of Russia), Swiss, Swedish, or Danish author. And from Asia only Japanese.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 02-05-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:58 AM   #86
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I think it's a great idea sun surfer, as it's a quick and easy way for someone like me who hasn't been in the group from the beginning to look back over the past winners, check them out on Goodreads and maybe add to the already groaning heap of TBRs. So thanks for doing it, and maybe we shall sign up a few more members on the way - who knows.

It sounds as if you might be going to choose "rest of the world" authors when it's your turn, Hamlet!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #87
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thanks sunsurfer - I've joined, and it is nice to see at a stroke all the books we've already read!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #88
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Dear fellow members,

Sadly, my sister passed away yesterday. I will be travelling to the US for her funeral so I won't be posting much over the next week or so.

Fantasyfan
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #89
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Condolences Fantasyfan. I'll miss your thoughtful contributions.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #90
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Really sorry to hear that fantasyfan. Best wishes.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote