Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #76
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Am I missing something or there is a new look of homescreen on Aura? As you can see in the movie here http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/tech-review...o-aura-hd.html (from 11 sec. and in 35 sec.) it looks quite different from what I have on my Glo. There appears to be some more info on screen, not just the covers on carousel. Looks like some stats. So is this something new that will come in software updates for all readers, or is it new because of high resolution on Aura and because of that limited only to this device, or I'm just simply overlooked that type of view on Glo?

As for the shape of the back - for me it looks symmetric with those curves running from top to bottom but that may be an illusion

Last edited by mietek81; 04-16-2013 at 04:11 AM.
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #77
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
From this picture it really looks asymetric: http://cdn0.mos.techradar.com///art/...171-580-90.jpg. The groove is in line with the light button, but the light button is not in the centre.

But as davidfor observed it looks more symetrical at the bottom, so maybe it won't affect the grip that much.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #78
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There are two good shots in engadget review that shows the ends and the differences.

As to the firmware, we don't know. V2.5.0 seems to be rolling out, but there haven't been any comments on what it looks like. But, I would expect the updated home screen to come to at least the Glo. They might decide to stick with the current version for the Mini and Touch if the screen needs the higher resolution or faster CPU.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #79
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There are two good shots in engadget review that shows the ends and the differences.
(http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/15/k...a-hd-e-reader/)

That review really makes it sound like this is intended to be a limited production run, only to be continued if it is unexpectedly popular.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #80
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
It looks like the microSD slot is on the bottom, next to the USB port, which is not longer centred.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #81
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
That review really makes it sound like this is intended to be a limited production run, only to be continued if it is unexpectedly popular.
I think that is poor wording of the review. I think they're trying to say that they think this is a device aimed non-casual book readers. Those who read scores of books a year, rather than those who read a couple of books while on holiday.

I look forward to trying one out when they arrive at W.H. Smiths shops.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #82
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The three Kobo fonts on a Kobo Glo that I am aware of that display bold where italic was called for are Avenir, Gill Sans and Kobo Nickel.

Those oddities and the lack of diacritical support were the reason I created my font tester epub file. See the 2.4.0 bugs thread for a download link for the file:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=205931&page=6

Regards,
David
Was there a lack of diacritical support overall on the device, or did only the fonts mentioned not support diacritics? I have to say, the lack of diacritical support might be a deal breaker.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #83
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Wow, that's an exciting news!
I can picture myself reading at home with an Aura HD and taking the Mini when I'm out and about
As my sole ereader, I'm not so sure because of its size and weight. The Mini is simply great or that.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #84
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think that is poor wording of the review. I think they're trying to say that they think this is a device aimed non-casual book readers. Those who read scores of books a year, rather than those who read a couple of books while on holiday.
I don't know. The wording implies Serbinis saying it's only available until the end of the year'

QUOTE FROM ENGADGET:
The Aura HD is a new form factor for Kobo, a large-format reader with a high-res, 6.8-inch screen, but it's a size the company has no intention of extending beyond the end of the year. Of course, if the device proves a runaway success, Kobo would certainly be amenable to rolling out a larger-screened device as a mainstream product. "If we hear from our customers that this is the best thing since sliced bread," says Serbinis, "it's going to be hard for us not to listen to that."
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #85
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As to the firmware, we don't know. V2.5.0 seems to be rolling out, but there haven't been any comments on what it looks like. But, I would expect the updated home screen to come to at least the Glo. They might decide to stick with the current version for the Mini and Touch if the screen needs the higher resolution or faster CPU.
Got V2.5.0 this AM and homescreen is still the same on Glo.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #86
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Was there a lack of diacritical support overall on the device, or did only the fonts mentioned not support diacritics? I have to say, the lack of diacritical support might be a deal breaker.
If the built-in fonts don't have the special chars you need it is trivial to just copy a set of fonts that do have them to the fonts directory. You have to use the correct Kobo naming convention, but that is also trivial. So no need to be a deal breaker
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #87
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
What's the basic pdf support like on the Kobo range?

Given the size and resolution of this I don't think I'd need to worry about reflow, but I would want to read in landscape (i.e. about half a page per screenful). Is that possible with the current firmware?

Can you crop the margins?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #88
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I don't know. The wording implies Serbinis saying it's only available until the end of the year'

QUOTE FROM ENGADGET:
The Aura HD is a new form factor for Kobo, a large-format reader with a high-res, 6.8-inch screen, but it's a size the company has no intention of extending beyond the end of the year. Of course, if the device proves a runaway success, Kobo would certainly be amenable to rolling out a larger-screened device as a mainstream product. "If we hear from our customers that this is the best thing since sliced bread," says Serbinis, "it's going to be hard for us not to listen to that."
Interesting. I do wonder if that is just marketing doing their job of getting people to think "ooh, I like it, but it won't be around for long, best get one now!", and when it sells very well, possibly due to this limited nature, it's then changed to be a mainstream product.

The question then is, would those who purchased it for the fact it would be a limited edition be annoyed that it's no longer as exclusive as it was once meant to be? People can be *very* funny when it comes to things like that and it could do more harm than good. Of course the mainstream model could be slightly different than the limited one, perhaps 2GB instead of 4GB, or maybe only available in Ivory?
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #89
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
the company has no intention of extending beyond the end of the year. [/I]
mmh, this is a minus for me, as I worry about the support afterwards (in terms of firmware updates, for example).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #90
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
If anyone from Sony is lurking in the shadows...
Something like this is what I want. Please just re-release a modernized 950 with front light. Give it a higher resolution, expand on the internal storage, give it a powerful 1 GHz processor and I am your man again. Because I love your superior reader software, your superb dictionaries and the wonderful design of the aluminum 950. I would pay 50% extra compared to the Kobo Aura.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote