Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #46
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Are you sure they actually have them for sale or do they only have the display models. I called the SonyStyle Store in Dallas and they only have display models and they have no idea when they will get the sales models in. The salesperson even told me he didn't have any specs on the new models yet. I guess he doesn't know how to use the internet.

Four days after the fact, my online order still shows a 09/03/2010 shipping date, so apparently the online store is clueless as well.
Sounds like the typical right hand not knowing what the left is doing. For that very reason, it would not surprise me at all if some stores got them in without warning. I guess we shall see...

Andrew
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #47
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Sneaky buggers. The girl on the phone I spoke with had reassured me they were in stock and ready to sell. So I took the 20 minute drive up here to see...and they tried to sell me a 3D tv! They've got display models of the 350 and 650 but none to sell for 'a few weeks' according to their manager. They've got plenty of accessories for the 60p and 300 but don't even have em on display. They've also managed to move the display from the front of the store to the back wall. Ugh...
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #48
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Somehow I don't think reading on a 3D tv would work very well. Can you imagine the words popping out at you? It would make me sick to my stomach.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #49
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Sneaky buggers. The girl on the phone I spoke with had reassured me they were in stock and ready to sell. So I took the 20 minute drive up here to see...and they tried to sell me a 3D tv! They've got display models of the 350 and 650 but none to sell for 'a few weeks' according to their manager. They've got plenty of accessories for the 60p and 300 but don't even have em on display. They've also managed to move the display from the front of the store to the back wall. Ugh...
That is exactly what I thought would happen as far as not having them in stock to sell. Although as far as we know many locations might have them stockpiled already but with instructions not to start selling until a specific date.

When I purchased my 300 last year I found that my local Best Buy had them listed as in stock. I went to that Best Buy and was told they didn't have any. I went home and found another Best Buy store 20 miles away where they were in stock. I called the second store and finally got someone to look them up in the computer. She confirmed they were indeed in stock. Then she told me the first BB store also had them. I returned to the first BB only to be told again they didn't have any. On my way out and discouraged, I ran into a manager I knew from the camera department and told her the situation and asked for her help. She looked them up on the computer, said we do have them, and went into the storage room and got one which I bought. It was a week later before BB even displayed them and a couple of months before they were prominently displayed. I really get the feeling that Sony doesn't even care that much to advertise or sell them. You have to search for them even on the Sony website!

Last edited by jswinden; 09-07-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #50
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I believe the delay in the new Sonys, along with the new Kindles, has to do with sourcing of Pearl e-ink screens.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #51
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I rang my local Sony Store today (in the UK) and they are saying a month as they don't have any indication of when they will get them
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #52
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Somehow I don't think reading on a 3D tv would work very well. Can you imagine the words popping out at you? It would make me sick to my stomach.

Not to mention being REALLY heavy to carry around. LOL
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #53
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Did you buy one??? How about some box opening pics? First impressions?
Well...not "out of the box", but they're pics...I'm afraid they're somewhat fuzzy, dark pics...I couldn't make my hand stop shaking. That store clerk surely thought I was thinking of doing a smash-and-grab at any moment! (D@mn blood sugar!)

And the differences between the screens (especially between the red 600 and the black 650) are more obvious in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	650_to_600.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	460.9 KB
ID:	57860   Click image for larger version

Name:	650_to_600_2.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	57861   Click image for larger version

Name:	All_Four.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	57862  
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #54
bingobango
bingobango began at the beginning.

Device: none
such a big difference between the 600 and the 650! Maybe they will drop the price for christmas
bingobango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 AM   #55
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Well...not "out of the box", but they're pics...I'm afraid they're somewhat fuzzy, dark pics...I couldn't make my hand stop shaking. That store clerk surely thought I was thinking of doing a smash-and-grab at any moment! (D@mn blood sugar!)
Thanks for the pictures. Was the screen clear? I am only asking as the flash bounce is making it look like they still have glare, I had a Touch 600 and have bought a Kindle wifi for the pearl screen, and wondered what the new Sony screen is like?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #56
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
I just called the SonyStyle store in Annapolis, MD. I was told they'd be in on the 19th. (Well, the 650, specifically.)
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #57
tecgeo
tecgeo began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, iPad, kindle3, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingobango View Post
such a big difference between the 600 and the 650! Maybe they will drop the price for christmas
I went on the SonyStyle Canada store and the 650 is listed for Pre-order and the 350 (pink only) is available for order. I didn't place any order so no idea about delivery dates. I ordered two kindle 3 s a week ago (Wi-Fi only) for my wife and myself because it seemed the best product for the price. I had considered the Sony 300 beforehand but a 6 inch display is more appealing and the 600 screen was too murky.

I really think Sony is going to have to consider dropping prices to compete for market share with the kindle, and I say this despite the fact that I would rather go with ePub and open platform/multiple ebook sourcing. But almost twice the price and no Wi-Fi? come on Sony.
tecgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #58
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Thanks for the pics.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #59
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecgeo View Post
I went on the SonyStyle Canada store and the 650 is listed for Pre-order and the 350 (pink only) is available for order. I didn't place any order so no idea about delivery dates. I ordered two kindle 3 s a week ago (Wi-Fi only) for my wife and myself because it seemed the best product for the price. I had considered the Sony 300 beforehand but a 6 inch display is more appealing and the 600 screen was too murky.

I really think Sony is going to have to consider dropping prices to compete for market share with the kindle, and I say this despite the fact that I would rather go with ePub and open platform/multiple ebook sourcing. But almost twice the price and no Wi-Fi? come on Sony.
Yes, I agree. I bought a K3 and I love it, but I also wanted to get a new sony. The 350 cost me $194.39 with sales tax (Sony has a presence in Texas) compared to the $139 I paid for my Kindle WiFi only (no Amazon presence in Texas so no sales tax). So the Kindle was $55.39 cheaper, has a larger screen, and has WiFi. Sony is definitely proud of their merchandise!

BTW, I included the sales tax in the comparison because for many people it is a legitimate concern. There are a lot more states with a Sony presence than there are with an Amazon presence, so sales tax becomes an issue to be considered if when you are making a price comparison.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-08-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #60
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Was the screen clear? I am only asking as the flash bounce is making it look like they still have glare, I had a Touch 600 and have bought a Kindle wifi for the pearl screen, and wondered what the new Sony screen is like?
Yes, the screen was very clear. I really had a hard time getting a good picture in there...and it's funny how much better the 600 screen looks in the pics than it did side-by-side. I think the 600 screen has almost a greenish-grey tinge to it that's totally lacking in the 650.

I think the 650 has the same "matte" texture feel (as opposed to "glossy") as the 300 or 505.

The sales guy and I also played around with how light a touch we needed to turn the page. It really took no pressure at all. I really hope you can get a chance to play with one soon! They should show up at Target soon, right?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote