Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Mayfirst
Mayfirst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Broken Kobo

I am posting this for my sister, who bought a Kobo on my recommendation. She is currently on an extended sailing trip which is the reason she bought the Kobo. Her first one had a problem and she was able to return it for a replacement before she left about 10 days ago. Now she is desperate because the new one has the same problem! She has limited internet access which is why I am involved! OK here goes. This is part of her email to me:

"the kobo screen has a series of black lines vertical and horizontal. It looks like a piece of paper that went through a printer with an ink cartridge that was running low. I did try resetting several times--but maybe you can tell kobo about it. The serial number is (not sure I should paste it here). There is also a FCC ID --NOIKBN416 and model no N416
This is my second KOBO that this happened to--I am really peeved to say the least."

Any suggestions? She won't be back in Canada until October and I want to help her. Thanks!
Mayfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well if they are straight lines and not curved it sounds like a faulty screen or display controller. Unfortunately there isn't much she could do other than seek a replacement.

She could try the obvious and fully charge the reader, perform a reset.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
That sounds like a broken screen. See other threads for screenshots (including mine). Nothing to do but replace.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
kouklitsa
kouklitsa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo E-Reader
Mayfirst...I am so glad I read your post. My Kobo has a similar problem with the screen on the top right hand side of it and it has the EXACT FCC ID number as your sister's. I have always looked after it. I have a protective case for it and always keep it in my purse which is never dropped.

I am going to call Kobo and ask them about it because I cannot think of how the screen was broken if it was never dropped.
kouklitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
tinted_tictac
tinted_tictac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox, Nexus 7
I had the same issue. I turned on my Kobo this morning and the screen had lines all over it. I brought it back to the Chapters that I bought it from and they replaced it right away. I wouln't bother sending it in to Kobo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Screen.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	59085  
tinted_tictac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouklitsa View Post
Mayfirst...I am so glad I read your post. My Kobo has a similar problem with the screen on the top right hand side of it and it has the EXACT FCC ID number as your sister's. I have always looked after it. I have a protective case for it and always keep it in my purse which is never dropped.

I am going to call Kobo and ask them about it because I cannot think of how the screen was broken if it was never dropped.
Welcome to MobileRead, kouklitsa

I"m glad you found some help here..stick around and introduce yourself.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo screen broken