Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Arrow Daily Reader with Ubuntu?

Hello all!

I am considering purchasing the Sony Reader Daily Edition.
I went to Best Buy today, because they had one on display. It really looked good and I'm leaning toward getting it. however.....

I use the latest version of Ubuntu. Will I be able to transfer my existing epub's and pdf's to the new Sony reader? The sales rep there didn't know if it would or not.

I currently have a Kindle 2 and Ubuntu recognizes it fine. Will the Sony do the same?
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
4nefertiti
Enthusiast
4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS900 (daily edition), blackberry
Yes you should be able to use epub and pdf's on the Sony.
4nefertiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I probably should have been a little more clear.

I use Ubuntu linux on my desktop, which is where all my ebooks are stored. If I plug the Sony Reader Daily Edition into my desktop, will it recognize the ereader?

Right now, I plug in my Kindle and transfer files directly using just folders. Can I do this with the Sony, too?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can install Calibre to transfer your eBooks if you want to use collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Ubuntu should recognize the Sony. You should be able to drap and drop the epub/pdf files directly or use Calibre to manage your ebook library.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
tulsa
Zealot

Ok, thanks!
Drag and drop is what I was wondering about.

I use calibre to organize my collection, too.

Thanks for the advice all!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
georget99
georget99 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Yes, the reader comes right up in Ubuntu and drag and drop works fine.
georget99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by georget99 View Post
Yes, the reader comes right up in Ubuntu and drag and drop works fine.
You sure?

I had a little Internet chat with Sony support today and they seemed to dodge the question. never would tell me yes or no.
Kept saying only for pc or mac...
Old 03-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
It should work fine with drag & drop or with Calibre. I doubt that DRM'ed ePub files will work however.
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
tulsa
Zealot

thanks for all the answers!

I guess that leads to my next question. Does Sony let one download the ebook like Kindle users can? Seems the only way to do that is by installing the software they have?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
I guess that leads to my next question. Does Sony let one download the ebook like Kindle users can? Seems the only way to do that is by installing the software they have?
You are correct... the only way to buy from the Sony eBook store is to use the software... to many peoples consternation. Which is why I would say many Sony owners here don't buy from Sony, but from BooksOnBoard.com and fictionwise.com and others.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
tulsa
Zealot

ugg... why does this have to be so crazy! lol..
Ok, one last question.. say I want to buy this ebook... ok, I do want to buy it..
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...54034&v=buynow

It looks like all of those have drm. Does that mean if I buy the book from booksonboard, I wouldn't be able to read it on my Sony device?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ugg... why does this have to be so crazy! lol..
Ok, one last question.. say I want to buy this ebook... ok, I do want to buy it..
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...54034&v=buynow

It looks like all of those have drm. Does that mean if I buy the book from booksonboard, I wouldn't be able to read it on my Sony device?
Not at all, you can read it on the Sony. Buy the Adobe Digital Edition version and your Sony can read that. You do need either the Sony software or the ADE software installed in order to d/l'it though. That's just the way the Adobe Digital Editions DRM works.

When you d/l the "file" you are actually downloading a token in a .ascm file.. ADE will use that info to connect to the store... send your Adobe ID to it, the store encrypts the ebook for your Adobe ID and then the book will be d/l'ed.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-15-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not at all, you can read it on the Sony. Buy the Adobe Digital Edition version and your Sony can read that. You do need either the Sony software or the ADE software installed in order to d/l'it though. That's just the way the Adobe Digital Editions DRM works.

BOb
Yeah, but that's just my issue. Those software packages will not run on my linux computer.

However, that said, I can run Windows through VirtualBox on Ubuntu, but ehh.. that's such a pain! That's always my method of last resort, though.

Oh well. Thanks to everybody that helped me. I wasn't expecting so much response. This forum rocks.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah, but that's just my issue. Those software packages will not run on my linux computer.
Ah... that does pose a problem. Perhaps you can get ADE running in Wine...

BOb

Tags
linux, prs-900bc, transfer, ubuntu