Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
sandanser
am a geet geek like y nah
sandanser began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
VISTA Problem

I'm setting up this PRS600 for a client who's using a VISTA laptop to sync too. When I d/l epub files they come down as a pack of files in a folder but in XP they come down as epub document. I've just installed Adobe Digital Editions which looks like it'll work fine...
Can anyone assist me with this or link to a previous thread maybe?

TIA

Andy
sandanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
Is Vista trying to be too smart?

An epub is basically a zip file with some extra specially formatted data inside it. In both cases, it could be the correct epub document, but Vista is trying to show you what's inside the epub when you might not want that.

Try transferring it onto the reader? - it shouldn't actually be a folder.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Rename the file back to .epub from .zip and then you should be fine. The other option is to upgrade to Windows 7 and leave Vista far behind.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
sandanser

excellent! thanks guys. Yes codemonkey VISTA is trying to be too clever as usual & yes I have moved on to 7 on my personal PC JSWolf, LOL

I've dragged the .epub folder into the library but it's not showing at all. I even tried renaming it back to .zip too without success. I've had most success with PDF files as they seem to go straight on without issue but apparently .epub is the way to go?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ePub is the way to go and Vista is the way to go away from.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
sandanser

PDF's are easy to put on & the client may need to d/l other file types in the future which is why I'm pressing to fix the epub issue you see!
I'd be very reluctant to put another OS for the client when VISTA should work with the ereader and software.

and yes I've personally moved on to windows 7, LOL
Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
sandanser

I've just d/ldd an epub in W7 & it came down as in XP as 1 document so its definitely a VISTA issue (grrr)
I'm going to see if the reader installs & runs in 7 now & if it does I'll stick 7 on the client laptop.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
sandanser

just for anyone else out there who stumbles upon this...
I put XP Home on the laptop which now flies on 2gb of RAM, LOL but the rerader works great AND it also works fine on 7 too!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, Andy, and thank you for keeping us updated on the problem and solution. It is extremely helpful to have the information available in one place.

The 600 was for the client, so did you decided to purchase one for yourself?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #10
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandanser View Post
I've just d/ldd an epub in W7 & it came down as in XP as 1 document so its definitely a VISTA issue (grrr)
I'm going to see if the reader installs & runs in 7 now & if it does I'll stick 7 on the client laptop.
Interesting problem. Where are you downloading the files from. I use Vista and the only time I run into that problem is when I download books from Project Gutenburg and occasionally Baen books. Everything else from all of my other sites downloads with the title and metadata fully intact.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As ctol above notes, this of course is not a Vista problem. It is a configuration problem. I run a Vista Business laptop, and a Vista Home Premium desktop, and have zero problems. (not only with readers but really anything).

So if others read this thread, do not think you have to get another OS to download books, LOL.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
sandanser

Dreams, I don't have time to read unforunately but my wife was VERY impressed by it all & is interested so it looks like we may be getting one this year

good point Bremen, your correct in what you say but my client asked for VISTA to be removed due to other issues & just didn't like it so I put XP on which they find easier to use & its a lot faster too. The client wanted the laptop ready for today as she went on vacation so needed a lot of books by today, hence the haste, LOL. The client was d/l from fictionwise and I too d/l from it on various computers with the VISTA laptop the only one having trouble with EPUB files. I edited the filetypes & defaults to epub but still no joy?
The VISTA issue was the fact that the files came down as a zip folder with all the files in whereas on all other OS they came down as one EPUB file. My trouble was time limitation and panicking client so I'd really like to get to the bottom of it for future use & other clients

ctol you may have something there! it could be the way the fictionwise site stores the epub files maybe? My son has got a VISTA laptop which I'll borrow to try another site. Suggestions are welcome for free d/l's to test it

Bremen does your epub files come down as one epub file or a zipped folder?

Last edited by sandanser; 01-19-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Just to add that I too have a VISTA laptop, and all my epub files download as epub files. Really strange why the extension should change...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
sandanser

I've just d/l a book from fictionwise on a pc with a brand new installation of vista and it came down as an epub file. This tells me that the client had been messing about prior to giving the laptop to me and had corrupted the OS when they'd told me they hadn't messed :/

thanks for all the replied and interest its really appreciated
Old 01-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I run Vista 64 Ultimate - and ADE and Calibre work perfectly. No USB connection problems either. I did use msconfig to keep the sony reader software dormant. Calibre is really the way to go for library organization. Note - you have to use the Add to library function - not just copy files into the Calibre directory. A lot of the collection information is kept separate from the book files, so let Calibre keep it straight.

I have no urge or reason to ever go to Windows 7.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote