Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
nyc_paramedic
nyc_paramedic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite MOD: LED change to red or amber?

Anyone know of a replacement red or amber LED for the Paperwhite? Or maybe a source for a removable film that would slide over the screen and give a red tint?

The idead was to replace the white LEDs with red or amber ones. I've been doing a lot of reading in a dark room so as not to disturb my wife. I've also been told by my phsycian not to use an LCD or other backlight device in the evening so as to sleep better.

On the rare occasion that I need to use my Linux machines, I use them with the Debian package redshift; it gradually changes the color temp of the LCD, elimintaing blue, as dusk evolves.
nyc_paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
This question has come up before. The last time suggested solutions included tinted overlay sheet and altering to an inverted palette. The touch-screen technology makes overlays impractical though.

The lightpipe technology makes led replacement impractical. IMHO

Most teardowns feature the tiny little group of leds in some detail.

The inverted palette is, by far, my favourite solution.

Last edited by twobob; 08-11-2013 at 07:51 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
nyc_paramedic
nyc_paramedic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
This question has come up before. The last time suggested solutions included tinted overlay sheet and altering to an inverted palette. The touch-screen technology makes overlays impractical though.

The lightpipe technology makes led replacement impractical. IMHO

Most teardowns feature the tiny little group of leds in some detail.

The inverted palette is, by far, my favourite solution.
How do you invert the palette?
nyc_paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
I'm also interested in inverting the pallette.
I was showing someone my PW over the w/e and they asked if it was possible to display as white on black rather than black on white.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
There's a nice implementation for the Kobo that could possibly adapted for the Kindle: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
an inverted screen for kindle would be very very cool!
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
SSH in and do eips -c -f -v every half second.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
aconicq1
aconicq1 is faster than slow light.aconicq1 is faster than slow light.aconicq1 is faster than slow light.aconicq1 is faster than slow light.aconicq1 is faster than slow light.aconicq1 is faster than slow light.aconicq1 is faster than slow light.aconicq1 is faster than slow light.aconicq1 is faster than slow light.aconicq1 is faster than slow light.aconicq1 is faster than slow light.

Device: pw2
I was looking to invert the eink screen (black background / night reading mode) but couldn't find a clean solution for kindle online. Although I could not get kindle reader to invert colors, I found a solution others were using with Koreader. Here is what I did.

-JB, KUAL, USBnetworking (optional)
-install Koreader
-run Koreader for the first time to create a (/mnt/us/)koreader/data/cr3.ini file

Then the aim is to do what trekk did here and modify the cr3.ini file: http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...=216960&page=9 switch the "crengine.display.inverse=0" from 0 to 1.

This can be done manually and then Koreader will always produce a black background book with white text, or you can make a few changes to the Koreader files to create a toggle switch.

A new file "koreader_night.sh" should be put in "/mnt/us/koreader/" which has the following lines (thanks muness):

Quote:
#!/bin/sh
sed -e'/crengine.display.inverse/ y/01/10/' -i /mnt/us/koreader/data/cr3.ini
echo "toggled inverse flag"

Then add a toggle menu item to the Koreader menu.json file.
Quote:
{
"name": "toggle night mode",
"priority": 5,
"action": "./mnt/us/koreader/koreader_night.sh",
"refresh": false,
"checked": true,
"exitmenu": false
}

Now you can read in night mode on a Kindle through Koreader and you can toggle it on and off.

Next step is to work out how to sync the book pages between Kindle and Koreader. Any ideas?

Last edited by aconicq1; 02-03-2014 at 09:57 PM.
aconicq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

that's really cool, thanks aconicq1
i'm surprised no one has done it for kindle though, i would like to think anything the kobo guys can do, the guys here can do better
Old 02-07-2014, 03:36 AM   #10
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Nah. It is usually more tricky to do it on Kindles (but then, they have a wicked, but working X11 server running), but I'm tempted to say that Kobos are a bit more hackable in general. Kobo isn't trying to scare independent developers away like Amazon does...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
zxczxc
Addict

yeah, i don't know anything about kobo, nook hacking, but i can't see them putting in more effort than amazon. i'm worried in a way that, we won't be able to have nice little (and some not so little) customizations like the ones we do now, in the future