Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
In search of the Original stylesheet...

I've sampled a number of epubs from Barnes & Noble which I have then borrowed from the library, or purchased from other vendors (such as Sony) only to find that the styling of the epub is different in sample and full form.

Today, for instance, I am looking at at The Idea Lab by Jon Gernter.

The CSS from Barnes & Noble (just the sample, not the full book):
  • Is right justified
  • Has large margins, specified in px

On the other hand, the full book file from Sony
  • Is not justified
  • Has minimal margins, specified in points

I believe there are other differences that aren't as obvious on a first glance.

My question--is there any way to figure out which design is closer to what the publisher intended? I.e., who has modified the original epub file--Sony or B&N?

Other than format differences (epub/mobi), has anyone else seen a difference in the same book file from vendor to vendor?
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Pick up the original book and look in there. I must say that I find it a little surprising.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sometimes the sample from B&N is different then the actual ePub. So the only way to truly compare is to buy the full ePub from B&N.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote