Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon Cloud Drive?

Hi,

Is it possible to use the Amazon Cloud Drive for personal books? Meaning that if I upload books on there, they would show up in my Kindle and all of my Kindle apps?
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWorthWhile View Post
Hi,

Is it possible to use the Amazon Cloud Drive for personal books? Meaning that if I upload books on there, they would show up in my Kindle and all of my Kindle apps?
Good question......will the Kindle and the new "Amazon Cloud" be integrated?

markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
They won't 'show up', but like any web site that you can download Kindle format books from, you can use the K3 browser (or any other browser) to navigate to ACD and download books from there. It's not clear that ACD is any better suited to this than DropBox, Google Docs, MS Sky Drive, etc.

It would be nice if Amazon would provide Kindle-specific integration for ACD, so that it showed up as an item on Kindle ("My Amazon Cloud Drive Items") that you could download directly from, sync reading position and annotations, etc. After all, at a certain point, they'll make money if you use up the free storage allocation. I'd certainly make use of such 'value added' storage.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

I sent Amazon CS an email about this, all they responded with is the typical:

"Amazon Cloud Drive is blablabla; for more info, go to blablabla"

Not very helpful...
Old 04-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
I sent Amazon CS an email about this, all they responded with is the typical:

"Amazon Cloud Drive is blablabla; for more info, go to blablabla"

Not very helpful...
Yup because you expect them to program integration for you as soon as you request it and respond within 24 hours.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I'm sure they're working on it.
Anything to make us even more dependent on these bloody kindles.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Yup because you expect them to program integration for you as soon as you request it and respond within 24 hours.
No, I meant, they didn't bother reading my question (which is the same as I asked you guys...). They saw "Amazoun cloud drive" in my email, and gave me the typical answer...

It would simplify a lot of things for those with multiple devices!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
warlock07
Enthusiast
warlock07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Cannot see why you were compelled to defend Amazon and attack the NoWorthWhile at the same time?
warlock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It would be nice if Amazon would provide Kindle-specific integration for ACD, so that it showed up as an item on Kindle ("My Amazon Cloud Drive Items") that you could download directly from, sync reading position and annotations, etc.
I would enjoy this very much.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
tmarks11
tmarks11 began at the beginning.

Device: Everun
Quote:
No, I meant, they didn't bother reading my question (which is the same as I asked you guys...). They saw "Amazoun cloud drive" in my email, and gave me the typical....
Based upon series of emails that I have exchanged with Amazon in the past, I am fairly sure that they use a "dirty word search" and a bot who autoreplies to emails with snippets from generalized FAQs. In my case, it took about 4-5 exchanges of "you didn't answer my question" before a human at CS took over.
tmarks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock07 View Post
Cannot see why you were compelled to defend Amazon and attack the NoWorthWhile at the same time?
I was compelled to defend Amazon because NoWorthWhile's argument did not make very much sense to me. In addition, I didn't attack him. If you think that pointing out the flaw in his statement is offensive, I'd be very sorry for you the day you are actually attacked.

Last edited by kranu; 04-26-2011 at 02:30 AM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It would be nice if Amazon would provide Kindle-specific integration for ACD, so that it showed up as an item on Kindle ("My Amazon Cloud Drive Items") that you could download directly from, sync reading position and annotations, etc. After all, at a certain point, they'll make money if you use up the free storage allocation. I'd certainly make use of such 'value added' storage.
The Kindle already has cloud integration. It's just a different cloud. You can already download and read your Kindle book from any device with the Kindle software (either the Kindles proper, or the various flavors of Kindle software). To my knowledge, the only thing you can't do is read your Kindle books on the Web, and that's "coming soon" in the form of Kindle for the Web.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
The Kindle already has cloud integration. It's just a different cloud. You can already download and read your Kindle book from any device with the Kindle software (either the Kindles proper, or the various flavors of Kindle software). To my knowledge, the only thing you can't do is read your Kindle books on the Web, and that's "coming soon" in the form of Kindle for the Web.
100% true, but I can't add my OWN books/documents/Calibre's Recipies into this cloud storage, I can only send them to my @free.kindle.com address, hence, only to one device.

That's where Amazon Cloud Drive comes in
Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
100% true, but I can't add my OWN books/documents/Calibre's Recipies into this cloud storage, I can only send them to my @free.kindle.com address, hence, only to one device.

That's where Amazon Cloud Drive comes in
Good point. But I think they'd be more likely to incorporate personal documents into the cloud they already have for the Kindle than they would be to integrate it into the new cloud. The new one isn't optimized for reading (document syncing, for example).
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Good point. But I think they'd be more likely to incorporate personal documents into the cloud they already have for the Kindle than they would be to integrate it into the new cloud. The new one isn't optimized for reading (document syncing, for example).
As long as they provide me the option to do that, I'm happy