Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
hockeynut
Enjoy every sandwich.
hockeynut began at the beginning.

Device: Tri-Sony 505 (blue, silver, silver)
Does Kindle support SD HC?

Subject says it all...can I use SD HC card in a Kindle? Any limitation on size?
hockeynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm currently using an 8GB SDHC card and there are reports of people using 16GB cards with no problems.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
hockeynut
Enjoy every sandwich.
hockeynut began at the beginning.

Device: Tri-Sony 505 (blue, silver, silver)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm currently using an 8GB SDHC card and there are reports of people using 16GB cards with no problems.
Cool, good news. Thanks!
hockeynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
gkbeer
Enthusiast
gkbeer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch,
Not all SDHC cards are the same. Some use more power, or are faster. If you get one that doesn't seem to work, try a different brand.
gkbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Kindle support will tell you that the Kindle does not "support" SDHC ... but they do work nonetheless.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Meanwhile, I have been fussing with my SDHC Toshiba cards for days. Over-kill with the 16gb was the first day. Switched to 4gb and have not had success to date.
Here is what happens. I formatted the SDHC on the pc, while in the kindle. It will not complete the format. So, I tried it just in the Kindle and added content. Well, it worked up to a point.... then, the Kindle reported that it had 0 available space on the SD card and that was all she wrote. It was a 4gb card. I did not run out of space.... but I was loading over 100 books from Amazon account. On the next attempt, my books that were formatted Kindle now had Amazon formatting on the Content Manager page.... and the Kindle was doing nothing. Yes, the SD card still showed 0 available space. Tried repeated resets of all natures.... from the back of the device, from the menu after the settings with the flywheel and the alt,shift, R. All to no avail.
Does anyone have any success with the Toshiba SDHC cards? I got mine at Sams Club.
I am open to suggestions on how to make this work.... no, I have not tried Amazon as yet... thought I would first ask folks who may have some hands on experience with what I am trying to do. After all, the Kindle is a reading device and not a storage device. I just don't really want to go there with them. Thanks.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
Subject says it all...can I use SD HC card in a Kindle? Any limitation on size?
I use a SanDisk SD/HC 4 GB. No formatting necessary, I just plugged it into the K while it was off.

I've got 29 pages of books.......all on the sd card.
Still have 3.5 GB left.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks DesertGrandma. Do you know the speed of the SanDisk? I have enough invested in these things already... I would just as soon get it right next time. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
joobies
Addict

I think I have seen something like "class" listed on the packaging for the cards... These Toshiba cards are a 4. I think it refers to the transfer speed. I did not think I needed one designed for cameras... or do I? It has a photo of the ereaders on my packaging.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joobies View Post
Thanks DesertGrandma. Do you know the speed of the SanDisk? I have enough invested in these things already... I would just as soon get it right next time. Thanks.

Speed? They have "speeds"?

I have no clue. I bought it at Costco.

Now, I will say this. The pages turn faster on the Kindle1 I have which does not have an SD card.

I only have 18 pages on that one.

Seriously, even I have no problem with the storage capability of the 4GB card. I stay with Sandisk because its a well know brand.

Of course, if you are doing mp3 files, thats another story altogether. Its my understanding (I just read, not listen to music) that these files take up tons of space.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Speed? They have "speeds"?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
joobies
Addict

Now, now... Bob.... Is that being helpful? You have so much knowledge to share... and you use a graphic, instead. Really now. I can relate to desertgrandma and her question of speed. I had no idea until I started reading all the packages.
Is speed of the SDHC card an issue for the Kindle? Honest, I don't know.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joobies View Post
Is speed of the SDHC card an issue for the Kindle? Honest, I don't know.
Sorry... I wasn't LOL at her knowledge but at the way she phrased it.

The speed of the SD card is not important. SO, just buy any cheap ole card... it will be fine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
joobies
Addict

Thank you, pilotbob. I somehow got the silly thing formatted.... I had the Kindle hooked up to the pc with the USB and I had the SDHC card in the card reader. Yes, this was a configuration I had not yet attempted. Then, I copied from the Kindle memory to the SDHC card. It asked if I wanted to format the SDHC. Well, after thrashing about and using some improper vocabularly... I clicked yes... yet again.
Well, son of a gun. They transferred. Now the card is in the Kindle and I removed the files from Kindle memory. Yes, I could have used move... but, with the way the luck has been running... well, I did not do it that way. SO... I thought I would let those index before adding anything else to the mix.
Appreciate the assistance.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sorry... I wasn't LOL at her knowledge but at the way she phrased it.

The speed of the SD card is not important. SO, just buy any cheap ole card... it will be fine.

BOb
Bob always laughs at me. Usually with good reason

I stumble around, but usually manage to figure out what to do.

And I'm not understanding "formatting" Bob. Why did he have to, and i didn't?

Seriously, I plugged it in, turned it on, and started moving files over.

Tags
duck!