Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Did you hear that from Amazon directly or just your supposition? If it is nothing more than conjecture on your part, it is not reasonable to manufacture outrage over these alleged selfishly abusive people.
If you made ANY effort to use Google before posting slanderous suggestions about the veracity of my post, you would have found these (and a much more, being hot news at various forums):

Here it is straight from the official "amazon kindle keyboard support" page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200505470
An amazon policy change announced 2012 July 1 added this text:
"The Experimental Web Browser is currently only available for some customers outside of the United States and may be limited to 50MB of browsing over 3G per month. This limit does not apply when customers are browsing over Wi-Fi."

And there is a dedicated MobileRead thread that confirms it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185765

And there is a lot more information if you know how to use Google. You really should at least try a minimal effort to do your own research before posting doubtful comments like you did. It makes you appear to be much more foolish than you (probably) are. You might want to edit your post.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-23-2012 at 04:21 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If you made ANY effort to use Google before posting slanderous suggestions about the veracity of my post, you would have found these (and a much more, being hot news all various forums):

Here it is straight from the official "amazon kindle keyboard support" page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200505470
An amazon policy change announced 2012 July 1 added this text:
"The Experimental Web Browser is currently only available for some customers outside of the United States and may be limited to 50MB of browsing over 3G per month. This limit does not apply when customers are browsing over Wi-Fi."

And there is a dedicated MobileRead thread that confirms it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185765

And there is a lot more information if you know how to use Google. You really should at least try a minimal effort to do your own research before posting doubtful comments like you did. It makes you appear to be much more foolish than you (probably) are. You might want to edit your post.
Where in that link from Amazon does it say that the limitation is due to "huge .torrent traffic proxied through a tethered amazon 3G connection" which is what you claimed?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Where in that link from Amazon does it say that the limitation is due to "huge .torrent traffic proxied through a tethered amazon 3G connection" which is what you claimed?
Actually he said "there were people claiming" to do that. Also, his inclusion of the phrase "no doubt" at the beginning of that part clearly indicated to me that while the 50MB limit was a statement of fact, the rest of it was not. That's how my understanding of English composition took it, anyway.
Since the 50MB limit was the only part he stated as fact, apparently he assumed that your questioning of Amazon as a source applied to that part.
Moving on.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@WillysJeepMan: The following quotes were posted some time ago at a very high-traffic web site that is very popular with the script-kiddie crowd:
Quote:
HackJack says:
February 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Why is everyone acting like this is the first bit of news posted about this? People have been doing this for a LONG time and there are MANY tutorials out there on how to do it.

I’ve been tethered to my kindle for 6 months, using it as my main internet connection. With browsing and utorrent I’ve racked up over 46GB. No disconnection here!
Quote:
Anon says:
March 4, 2012 at 5:27 pm

You’re an asshat. Assuming you’re not lying, Amazon has paid over $7k for your bandwidth. Personally, I’m hoping that you’re lying.

Amazon’s a pretty decent company. Some of their policies are terrible, but overall, they are a good company. This is one of their policies that makes sense – this is a not-terrible policy.

As mentioned above, you’re a script kiddie. A cracker. Stop it.
I did not say that the claims came from the amazon.com web site.

You DO know how to use Google, right?

For that matter, did you even BOTHER to read the amazon page?

I hope Anon's leading comment above does not apply to you too.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-23-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
@WillysJeepMan: The following quotes were posted some time ago at a very high-traffic web site that is very popular with the script-kiddies crowd:I did not say that the claims came from the amazon.com web site.

You DO know how to use Google, right?

For that matter, did you even BOTHER to read the amazon page?

I hope Anon's leading comment above does not apply to you too.
The bottom line is that you believe that it was abuse of the 3G service that caused Amazon to cap bandwidth. You have no official information from Amazon where they claim that it has been capped due to abuse.

You then went on to complain about the selfishness of those who abused the 3G service when you have absolutely no proof that what they did caused Amazon to institute a cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster
Everybody (outside the USA, for now) loses as a result of a few selfishly abusive people.
If Amazon capped bandwidth for some other reason, then your claim of "everybody losing" is baseless.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 07-23-2012 at 04:39 PM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Moving on.
Apparently not, sadly.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
geekmaster

@WillysJeepMan: "No doubt" at the front of anything written in English is a lead-in for a personal opinion. It is an idiom that means "my educated guess is". I realize that idioms often do not translate well, but the forum rules do not say to avoid idioms.

Just because you did not understand my intent is no reason to be disrespectful. You really sound like you are trying to defend YOUR 3G tethering behavior here in your posts. Are you?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-23-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
geekmaster

Here is a quote from another member at the "script kiddie" site who is (apparently) trying to bring the 50MB (or worse) data cap to the USA too:
Quote:
jsimplehacks says:
July 16, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Wow…so am I like the only hacker that bought a Kindle 3G in order to hack it??? What developer buys for an e-reader? To answer other ppl’s questions…I’ve downloaded around 4 HD movies a month each around 3gigs since March. No bricking. So for you goody 2 shoed devs, seriously, get over it. The worst that can happen is you’ll have a $50 brick…I’ve spent more on gas! I commend the hacker that made this post, and for other devs to suggest censoring someone’s time and work….kick rocks!
His recent post ends with a comment that makes me wonder if he is offering his own "rocks" to be kicked.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-23-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Any chance of this thread lurching back on topic now?
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #25
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Any chance of this thread lurching back on topic now?
Well how about this
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86M0EY20120723
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #26
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Just because you did not understand my intent is no reason to be disrespectful. You really sound like you are trying to defend YOUR 3G tethering behavior here in your posts. Are you?
That sounds like a slanderous suggestion. You know, the sort of thing you were outraged about when you said it was done to you?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #27
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That sounds like a slanderous suggestion. You know, the sort of thing you were outraged about when you said it was done to you?
I did have "sound like" in that statement, which means that it was my personal opinion and not a statement of fact, but yes, when I get riled up I say stupid stuff too, just like the other guy. Mea culpa. But I am still curious about the answer to that question, because TO ME it sounded like my opponent was (vaguely) supporting 3G tethering behavior. But this thread needs to get back on topic now as requested by geoffwood.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-25-2012 at 08:11 AM.