Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #241
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_g View Post
One thing I would like to see added now that I have using this app is the ability to look up words in a dictionary. I hope this can be added to future updates. I really am loving being able to read library books, so thanks again!
Yea that is also high on the list. Have to license a dictionary, or use a web one that only work when online. It is likely that we'll get to that in early 2011, but the wish list is long....

And we do need to spend some serious time making white labels of the app (mostly foreign bookstore chains) to pay the bills.
-M
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #242
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogiesmom View Post
I was so happy to find this App and this thread. I've been looking for an IPad app for library books for a long time.

One quick question - in the Users Guide, it mentions being able to set up my own Catalog. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I have a great website catalog that I would like to add. Once I can do that I can get rid of all of my other readers.

Any help on this issue is appreciated. Thanks again for all of the great work.
We have a feature in the works that will allow users to add any OPDS feed to Get Books. We jumped the gun a bit putting it into the user guide. Tricky part is handling the varieties of OPDS out there in the wild, as the spec has evolved and even at 1.0 is not particularly "strict". As Get Books is all HTML (we have an OPDS transform web service that we are using/developing in Get Books) we can update that any time without an App update. Maybe January we'll get that in there. Like it to be sooner, but holidays will slow things down a bit.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:28 AM   #243
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

And yes we'd like to integrate with Calibre. We are focusing first on updates to the Library that will be necessary like editable meta data, etc. My personal favorite new feature will be adding your own fonts. So that is high on the general list - but I'm a font geek, so maybe not as high on other's list.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:17 AM   #244
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Which fonts are more endearing for you?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #245
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

I'm a big serif guy. If it has ligatures, I'm drooling.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #246
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Lately I also like a little vintage/whimsy with some angle undercuts like maybe Dante Pro, or Bembo Book, Vendetta, Eldorado Text - stuff like that. But really, I leave typography to the pros, I'm more of a fan of the art, and a geek in terms of features for using them.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #247
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
And yes we'd like to integrate with Calibre. We are focusing first on updates to the Library that will be necessary like editable meta data, etc. My personal favorite new feature will be adding your own fonts. So that is high on the general list - but I'm a font geek, so maybe not as high on other's list.
This font geek welcomes our new font geek overlord!

Bring on the user fonts and OPDS feeds, I am perfectly happy to test these if you need guinea pigs.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #248
jdmaynard
jdmaynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
I found it !!!
I had been using the gmail app to read my mail, and it didn't offer the "open with" option. When I use the regular old mail reader that came with the iPod - SUCCESS!!

It's easy and works.

I'm chuffed!!
Thanks
jdmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #249
RITZMOON
RITZMOON began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi All

Just wanted to share this link http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...=TheCheapskate. It details tips on using bluefire and overdrive on iPad.

I have been waiting for this, so I wanted to share.

J
RITZMOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #250
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
This font geek welcomes our new font geek overlord!

Bring on the user fonts and OPDS feeds, I am perfectly happy to test these if you need guinea pigs.
Thanks for the offer. When the time comes I may well take you up on that.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #251
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Speaking of reviews check out this one:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gad...re-reader/4163

I think I just fell in love with Matthew Miller. Too bad he's a dude ;0

Last edited by Micah; 11-23-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Spelled a name wrong
Old 11-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #252
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaynard View Post
I found it !!!
I had been using the gmail app to read my mail, and it didn't offer the "open with" option. When I use the regular old mail reader that came with the iPod - SUCCESS!!

It's easy and works.

I'm chuffed!!
Thanks
Yay! Glad you got it figured out. My list of tips, tricks, and FAQ's is getting long. I think I need to start blogging again.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #253
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Just want to thank y'all on this board that nudged us to really focus on Library loans. We always wanted to do it, but you helped me see how critical it was. And helped motivate us when working those late nights. Just goes to show how important it is to listen and engage your community. Beyond the press that it has gotten us, it just makes me really happy to do something good.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #254
emerwin
emerwin began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone4
comics?

I'm just installing bluefire now on my iPhone4, will try on my iPad when I get home. From the ZDnet review and this thread it looks to be able to be the app that will allow me to NOT use 18 different readers, thank goodness.

For me it will be "just right" if you will support cbr/cbz comic files. Currently I'm using Stanza on the iPad, but it's really clunky to load the books onto the iPad and into Stanza.

Is this already on your to-do list? If not, please do so.
emerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #255
remleduff
remleduff began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Yea, back button is high on our list. and the page slider is an approximation due to the way RMSDK works until you let go and land on a page. Not sure we can improve that but we'll try. Looking at supporting page numbers that are authored in other ways in EPUB, so that might improve things - might not.
It's not so much the accuracy of the page number I'm concerned with, but while dragging the scrubber it says something like "31 of 298" and then when I release, I end up on "35 of 298". At least to me, it feels like my hand must be jerking just slightly as I try to release and just makes everything feel less accurate. I assure you though, that I'm absolutely trying to keep my hand as still as possible.

Quote:
As to the footnotes. Are you talking about an epub or a PDF? and when you say tapping, I'm assuming you are talking about links? Is this a DRM file? If not, could you provide the file for testing purposes?
Thanks,
Micah
I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough, it's tough to describe using just words.

I've been reading a bunch of Terry Pratchett in epub format (unfortunately, all DRM'ed). He uses lots of humorous footnotes that that look like:
Quote:
[Page 5 of 290]

Something fairly innocuous here*

[Page 290 of 290]
* Wow, that innocuous comment was really quite amusing wasn't it?
The "asterisk" is clickable, clicking it takes you to the footnote (the footnotes are usually a bunch of pages that they stick to the end of the book). It's very, very, difficult to actually click it within Bluefire. It seems like only about 1 pixel is active to be actually clicked on, and my finger is just too fat to hit it at all consistently.

The newest Terry Pratchett actually had a "reverse link" on the actual footnote page that returns to the original reading place, so if they start doing that consistantly it will make a back button in Bluefire less important (but it will of course depend on the publisher to make those reverse links where a back-button will always work).
remleduff is offline   Reply With Quote