Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Apple: Letter from Apple Regarding iPhone 4

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...pleletter.html

Quote:
To fix this, we are adopting AT&T’s recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone’s bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same— the iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. For the vast majority of users who have not been troubled by this issue, this software update will only make your bars more accurate. For those who have had concerns, we apologize for any anxiety we may have caused.

As a reminder, if you are not fully satisfied, you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
talk about sticking your head in the sand.. apple's going to take a major black eye over the iphone 4. jobs needs to come down off his pedestal and admit they screwed up.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
talk about sticking your head in the sand.. apple's going to take a major black eye over the iphone 4. jobs needs to come down off his pedestal and admit they screwed up.
my favorite tweet on the subject:
Quote:
"iOS 4.0.1 raises the bar. Again. Well, the first three bars."
Old 07-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
my favorite tweet on the subject:
Quote:
"iOS 4.0.1 raises the bar. Again. Well, the first three bars."

Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
And on the BBC web site .... iPhone 4 signal fault leaves Apple 'stunned'
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As someone that does not even have an iPhone 4, I cannot speak directly to the problem... I simply have no experience with it.... but.... the phone ether works or doesn't . I can believe the "bars" are not accurate, most of the time the battery bars are off too. But, no matter the indicator, the phone ether works or doesn't.

If you do have this problem and ignoring the "bars", does the phone work? Can you make calls and keep them while holding it the way you want to (assuming everything else is as it should be)?

If not, the bars thing is silly... if so, maybe it is just a perception issue based on faulty GUI information....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Not necessarily: have you read this?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

It concludes that the reception of the iPhone 4 really is drastically better than that of the 3GS, and that unless you have a totally unnatural "death grip" on the phone, the signal drop is pretty small.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not necessarily: have you read this?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

It concludes that the reception of the iPhone 4 really is drastically better than that of the 3GS, and that unless you have a totally unnatural "death grip" on the phone, the signal drop is pretty small.
I was so happy when Anand got interested in Apple products a few years back-I used to read him all the time when I used Windows, and kinda dropped off when I switched back to Macs. Now he has been covering both Macs and iOS4 devices quite a bit-love reading his in-depth reports.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Changing the height of the first three bars seems silly. I never had any trouble distinguishing them, and I don't know anyone else who has either, among friends and family with iPhones.

However, the whole "blame it on a faulty formula" approach may serve as a two-birds-with-one-stone mechanism, if Apple can simultaneously fix the problem (however it is accomplished) and undermine the public perception of AT&T's network... thus giving themselves justification for expanding to other networks, and abrogating the terms of their previous agreement.

Note: I am not saying that is what Apple has/had in mind. Just saying it wouldn't be the first time in corporate history that spin was used to more than one end, when the aspect being spun wasn't necessarily all of the problem.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post

Note: I am not saying that is what Apple has/had in mind. Just saying it wouldn't be the first time in corporate history that spin was used to more than one end, when the aspect being spun wasn't necessarily all of the problem.

- M.
I think that is exactly what they are saying -throwing the ball back into AT&T's court. "We calibrated our bars wrong-AT&T actually has worse service than you thought! But stay tuned for January "
Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I think that is exactly what they are saying -throwing the ball back into AT&T's court. "We calibrated our bars wrong-AT&T actually has worse service than you thought! But stay tuned for January "
But it's not unique to AT&T by any means. I see exactly the same thing on Vodafone's network (which is actually pretty good) here in the UK.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
kjk

Quote:
But it's not unique to AT&T by any means. I see exactly the same thing on Vodafone's network (which is actually pretty good) here in the UK.
Well that is what will be interesting, I think. After the "fix", perhaps Vodafone's reception will still show just as strong. I do think it is interesting they are using AT&T's standards for the new bar settings-and didn't mention if other countries would be tuned differently.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, it will be interesting to see. I can indeed kill the reception (so it won't make calls) by holding the phone in a "death grip", but held normally, it works absolutely fine, even though the signal strength bars do fall off. I now have the phone in a "gell" case, though, which doesn't even show that problem, so I'm completely happy with it.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
kjk

Quote:
Yes, it will be interesting to see. I can indeed kill the reception (so it won't make calls) by holding the phone in a "death grip", but held normally, it works absolutely fine, even though the signal strength bars do fall off. I now have the phone in a "gell" case, though, which doesn't even show that problem, so I'm completely happy with it.
My brother can't get the bars to fall at all with his-but he has been having some odd GSM-decoding issues while talking? Sometimes the phone just starts receiving gibberish/encoded sounds while talking to someone...really weird.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I have an iPhone 4 and I don't even have to resort to a death grip. Sitting right now, here in my house, the phone on my desk. I have a full five bars.

If I pick up the phone with finger and thumb and place my thumb over the bottom left corner, bridging the metal over the black strip, one finger on opposite side to hold phone securely. The bars drop down to the last one, then I lose 3G, then I have no bars and then it says "No Signal".

Releasing the phone results in full 5 bars within 30 seconds.

If I do the same test during a normal voice phone call (and I have tested it) I will lose the call.

If Apple would like to visit my house and try the same test they are welcome to, but saying there is no attenuation problem is Apple sticking its head in the sand.

No pun intended but this whole fiasco has soured me on Apple. My iPad is an amazing device, but the iPhone 4 is a complete disaster in my opinion. I don't care about the beautiful display if I can't make calls on it. Apple's handling of this matter, from S.Jobs emails (sent by him or his handlers) and these silly PR statements, denials and finger pointing, just shows how arrogant they have become. I will be thinking very carefully before I make my next Apple purchase, probably let any item sell for a good few weeks so all the reviews are in before I commit.

My iPhone 4 is a lovely glass and metal pet rock.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote