Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
clawlan
clawlan began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Nook
Any way to have cover flow on side-loaded ebooks?

I just got my nook and am realizing that ebooks I've loaded in through calibre (which go to the My Documents section of the nook) don't support cover flow. Any way of getting around this? Perhaps rooting?
clawlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I don't know about rooting at all but I sideload my books with Calibre. If a particular book has no cover, I download it from somewhere. Whenever I open a book, I see the cover.

I know this is not a solution to the "cover flow" but just wanted to impart that to you fyi.
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
clawlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
I don't know about rooting at all but I sideload my books with Calibre. If a particular book has no cover, I download it from somewhere. Whenever I open a book, I see the cover.

I know this is not a solution to the "cover flow" but just wanted to impart that to you fyi.
Yea, at least there is that. Grrr
Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
I you root you have the coverflow for all your books.But you have to add a picture in the folder for the drm books.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
clawlan

Got it. Watching some videos on nookLauncher. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73217
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast

no way am I gonna jailbreak/root my Nook. I guess I'm a chicken but I just don't like the idea of it I guess lol. I just have no reason to do it.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
If one has a lot of books as I do, rooting the nook is the only way to go. Now with Trook I have organized my books a lot like how the Sony does it. Folders for authors -A B C, E F G, J K L, and so on. Under each folder I have a sub folder for the authors. When I open an author I can see all the books in cover flow mode. This really makes it easy to find a book you want to read. Before Trook I limited the number of books on my nook to around 60 because I did not want to spend all day hitting the next page button to find the book. Now with Trook I have over 700 books on the nook. With Trook I have the perfect reader.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast

Well since I can't read 700 ebooks at once, I find it a challenge to read 7 ebooks at the same time, I will stick with my "non" rooted Nook

Cheers
Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
clawlan

Rooting isn't for everyone, especially those that are not that technical. I don't say that because it is difficult to root, I say that because I feel the advanced options, special applications, etc, appeal more to the customize-hungry tech geek. But one thing I will say is: Trook is fantastic regardless.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
mwhite67
mwhite67 began at the beginning.

actually with the 1.2 update they have made it very easy to softroot it. You basically drop a 1.0 update onto the root of your nook folder to downgrade it. The you drop a special 1.2 update with all the custom apps included in it onto your SD card. restart the nook while holding the right page back button and you're done. I just did mine today and it couldn't be easier. Much better than non rooted as well. I would never go back unless B&N released an update with all these capabilities which I doubt they will.

If anyone wants to try it (reversible) you can find the files on nookdevs.com
Highly recommended

Last edited by mwhite67; 02-09-2010 at 11:05 PM.
mwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
I have seen the video on the soft root and it has some very useful applications, but like CandyNJ66, I'm not up to the idea of rooting and voiding my warranty, especially with pending issues like cracking page turn buttons!

I do, however, think B&N will eventually start to incorporate some of these ideas and functions into future updates, and when that time comes, I'll have those functions and my warranty!
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
mwhite67
mwhite67 began at the beginning.

your warranty will probably be expired by the time B&N does anything. Plus considering they already have features like coverflow and search for books you buy from them, it doesn't seem like they have any inclination to allow you to do that with books you already have. Unless they have a way to tell via the 3g connection that you have changed your firmware the procedure is reversible as well. I would rather have a Nook with all the functions I want on it rather than waiting around forever out of fear my nook may break.
mwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
nemix
nemix began at the beginning.

Device: nook
obviously its your device, so don't root it if you are not comfortable. Working in the IT/software industry, this is a softroot. essentially just flashing a custom firmware (just like BN flashes the firmware for every update they do). The custom firmware along with the underlying android OS makes flashing back to an original firmware just as easy if you ever need to go back.

The risk in my opinion is very minimal and certainly outweighed by the immediate gains of all the new features I'll be using right now.

To each his own, enjoy your nook either way!
nemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
I don't use cover flow with my B&N ebooks, so I don't miss not having it for my non-B&N ebooks. I also just load the ebooks I'll most likely read on the nook and leave the rest on my computer. This simplifies the organization and finding what I need. I also could care less about having a browser, although RSS feeds would be nice even though I don't necessarily use them at this point in time, I may eventually...

So, the one feature I'd really like to have that the softroot provides is the ability to wirelessly transfer ebooks to the nook. Being as there are a couple ebook stores on-line that are owned by B&N, I can see this feature being incorporated into future releases of the Desktop Reader software and incorporated into future firmware updates. The desktop reader already has the capability of importing non-B&N ebooks, so this would seem a logical progression...
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
my only fear with softmod is that B&N will eventually find a way to "ban" devices due to excessive bandwidth which is pretty easy to determine via AT&T. I can see myself being on the excessive list, especially with Pandora .
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote