Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #4066
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
The battery drain has gotten so bad on my 650 PRS+ is coming off.

I love the additional functionality, but recently I had the battery go from 4 bars to DEAD in a couple of hours. And I travel a lot internationally, so having the thing go dead all the time is NOT good.

For trouble shooting, I do notice that the battery tends to go dead quickly when the reader is put into sleep mode. Not while reading.

I had PRS+ not load (booted hooked to the computer) and battery live was fine with no issues for several weeks. Then it did lock up, so when reset, PRS+ loaded and again the battery drain issue.

I will check back every so often to see if this gets fixed.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #4067
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
New app: CrossWord

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that a new app has been added to the main repository: CrossWord. This app lets you play puz files (up to 15x15 in size) on your (touch-enabled) reader. The app was programmed by Dan Genin (thanks, Dan!).

A few puz files are included, but there are plenty available on the internet. Files go in the "puzzle" folder located in the "CrossWord" folder inside the "GamesSave" folder on the reader.

Note that this version is the non-menu version (since I couldn't get the menu to work!) The button on the left is to toggle the location of the keyboard. The two buttons on the right are for revealing the current letter ("L") or the current word ("W"). Click to the right of MODE to toggle between directions (ACROSS and DOWN).

The only way to quit from the app is to click the game icon in the upper left corner.

This has been successfully tested on the 650. (However, I am guessing that it won't work on the 950, due to the same memory-issue that all the apps have.)

Sincerely,
Ben.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #4068
RooZ
RooZ began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Customization?

Hi guys, I've updated the firmware recently and wanted to skin it nicely just as I did with previous version (with tiny skull as battery bars, chains whips demons and stuff :P ) but I'm unable to do so - Universal Flasher does not support the newest version of PRS+

How do I unpack Fsk.img (because i think that's where the kBookAssets.png is kept) and replace theme with my own, then pack it nicely alltogehter again?
RooZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #4069
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooZ View Post
Hi guys, I've updated the firmware recently and wanted to skin it nicely just as I did with previous version (with tiny skull as battery bars, chains whips demons and stuff :P ) but I'm unable to do so - Universal Flasher does not support the newest version of PRS+

How do I unpack Fsk.img (because i think that's where the kBookAssets.png is kept) and replace theme with my own, then pack it nicely alltogehter again?
Hi there,

If you already have PRS+ on your reader there is no need to use the Universal Flasher. You can simply build your own PRSPInstaller, copy the folder to the root of your reader, and restart your reader. The instructions for building PRS+ are here: https://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/BuildingPRSPlus

After downloading the sourcecode (using Mercurial), go to ..\firmware\650\resources\scripts to find kBookAssets.png which you can then modify.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #4070
RooZ
RooZ began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Thanks Ben

I'll give it a shot :]

Maybe I'll also manage to change fonts to Polish aswell while doing this :]
RooZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #4071
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i think I can now reliable reproduce the "invalid page" after deletign a book bug:
1. set PRS+ to use current book as screensaver image when device sleeps
2. open a book then allo device to sleep
3, wake the device, open the book whose cover image is currently being used as screensaver
4. delete that book
voila -> invalid page. also, now press home and see that the deleted book thumbnail is still showing in the continue reading section of home page. tap it & device whill completely freeze.

I would appreciate more testing/feedback on this
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #4072
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i think I can now reliable reproduce the "invalid page" after deletign a book bug:
1. set PRS+ to use current book as screensaver image when device sleeps
2. open a book then allo device to sleep
3, wake the device, open the book whose cover image is currently being used as screensaver
4. delete that book
voila -> invalid page. also, now press home and see that the deleted book thumbnail is still showing in the continue reading section of home page. tap it & device whill completely freeze.

I would appreciate more testing/feedback on this
Is this a special compilation of PRS+ or as downloaded from the Project Site? I just did your steps on my 350 with PRS+ 2.1.0.2 alpha and had no invalid page message and no freeze up at all. The cover was deleted along with the book. When I deleted the book and it finished the deletion, I was on the Books page. The homepage had the book and cover missing in the main top slot for now reading. Everything worked as it should.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:00 AM   #4073
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

damn - I thought I'd sussed it - back to the drawing board - yes it is a standard PRS+ build, ( not sure how to check the build number on the device but oin my pc downloads I have PRSP_650_2.18 so I guess that is it )I wrote about this a few months ago = about 2 page back in this thread. have been trying to spot the cause of the occasional invalid page which I only get after deleting a book (via the open book: options-> delete this book).

now 9 out of 10 times I get what you described, but now and again I get this invalid page issue & I'm still trying to spot the exact circumstances. It could be that there also have to be 1 or more motes relating to the book, to trigger it.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #4074
cybmole
Wizard

update: I repeated my exact test as per 2 posts ago, using the same book; I even added notes to the book before trying the delete - but this time the delete worked ok - so I am stumped.

It seems that the latest alpha is newer than what I have though. I may try that, or I may wait for it to get to at least beta first.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #4075
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
It seems that the latest alpha is newer than what I have though. I may try that, or I may wait for it to get to at least beta first.
Yes 2.1.02 is newer than 2.0.18.

It has been alpha since Dec 2012 I don't expect it to go to beta anytime soon.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #4076
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Even though 2.1.0.2 is alpha, I have had absolutely zero problems with it. I don't think you need to worry much about its stability. (I should add I don't really play games on it other than an occasional Sudoku.)

Btw, you can check from the reader which version you have installed by going to Settings > About, and the first line will give you the PRS+ version there.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 08-25-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #4077
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Even though 2.1.0.2 is alpha, I have had absolutely zero problems with it. I don't think you need to worry much about its stability. (I should add I don't really play games on it other than an occasional Sudoku.)

Btw, you can check from the reader which version you have installed by going to Settings > About, and the first line will give you the PRS+ version there.
OK thanks - I don't like alpha software but since all I do it rad books & use notes/bookmarks it should be OK. typically how long before alpha goes to beta or full release with PRS+
settings about confirms 2.0.18 on my reader - now I just need to re-find the download link...
Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #4078
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
settings about confirms 2.0.18 on my reader - now I just need to re-find the download link...
Site link in first post.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #4079
cybmole
Wizard

installed latest alpha.
various things seems worse.
1. the install preserved some settings preferences but removed others e.g. the option to use book covers as screensaver. I had to puzzle out why that was no longer working. Also, the notes option was now on 2nd of 2 screens after pressing options button. I had to tweak out various useless options to get that back onto screen 1 where it used to be.

2. more annoying. there is no way back from many screens except to press the home icon. e.g. you cant go book -> notes ->back to book. the only exit from notes screen for your current book is to press home & then reload the book. Unless I am missing some subtle settings combo- this functionality has gone. It was there before, the notes screen had a "back" option ?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #4080
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
installed latest alpha.
various things seems worse.
1. the install preserved some settings preferences but removed others e.g. the option to use book covers as screensaver. I had to puzzle out why that was no longer working. Also, the notes option was now on 2nd of 2 screens after pressing options button. I had to tweak out various useless options to get that back onto screen 1 where it used to be.

2. more annoying. there is no way back from many screens except to press the home icon. e.g. you cant go book -> notes ->back to book. the only exit from notes screen for your current book is to press home & then reload the book. Unless I am missing some subtle settings combo- this functionality has gone. It was there before, the notes screen had a "back" option ?
I think the "back one level" can be done by clicking anywhere in the upper black bar area, except for the home icon in the upper left corner which takes you directly to the home page.