Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #46
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotekman View Post
Wow, thanks for beating me to it I hadn't checked in a day or two, and the problem seems to be worked out. Awesome.
If not flashing the firmware, though, but using OI-on-SD, the internal is not formatted to JFFS2 I would gather?
That is correct. There was an earlier bug where the "live" version (on SD) did format the internal file system to JFFS2, which caused at least one poster here much consternation because the factory firmware cannot read that filesystem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotekman View Post
If not, then the conclusion is that I need to flash the firmware rather than OI-on-SD for this to work. Uber happy with it btw.
-Jotek
If you like OI, it is probably best to actually install it IMHO.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #47
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
...If you like OI, it is probably best to actually install it IMHO.
Having "been there and done that," i.e., having tried to work two firmwares in tandem (BeBook and OI live), I heartily second DaveS's recommendation. You can review the various exchanges Dave and I have had through multiple postings and threads in this forum to get some idea both where I'm coming from (and been) and Dave's rationale for his recommendation.
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 04:17 AM   #48
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Dave_Sm, ascherjim: Yes, I agree that that would be the best way to go, but I have a couple of quid pro quo's about it.... Namely that I am using windows 7, and that I have found and religiously use calibre. While I would be able to use calibre under a virtual pc environment, I know, it would still kind of be a pain. Have to decide if I really want to do that or not..... But I will probably make the jump sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the advice! (and yeah, I read the threads where you guys talked about it )
Old 12-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #49
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I use Windows 7 and have no problems running Calibre.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 12-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #50
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
But does it connect to the device to upload books? I use Calibre under 7 too, but I really like the autoupload feature and like the system it uses to keep the books ordered. That was my point really. I know it seems like a really small one... but to be able to upload books to the device it seems like I would need to install Virtualpc, Windows XP under that, and then Calibre under that.
Is the inability to connect under vista/7 other than ssh a permanent problem though? I mean based upon how OI is coded, it could be extremely difficult to get it working. If there is not a chance in the middle (not asking for near ) future, then perhaps I will make the plunge...
Theoretically though, I COULD use it under Unbuntu, right? Since calibre can be used under linux, and Unbuntu would natively read the JFFS2 yes? Sorry, not THAT much experience with it, but just installed the WUBI which installs Unbuntu as a dual boot system...
BTW. anyone able to comment on the speed of OI Flashed vs SD card? other advantages?
thanks!

Last edited by jotekman; 12-04-2009 at 04:41 AM. Reason: errant question mark ;)
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #51
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Well I never used the auto upload feature of Calibre, prefering to move them across myself.

Under Windows 7 I use SSH via the Virtual mode.