Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Armaced
Enthusiast
Armaced began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
Frozen

My PRS-505 seems to have locked up.

I was looking at a few books, then I went back to the book I was reading, clicked "Continue Reading" and nothing happened. The screen remained on the main index of the book as though I had not pressed the "1" button to continue reading.

Now it is not responding to any button presses, including the power-off button.

Any ideas how to wake it up, or how to force a reboot?
Armaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Armaced
Enthusiast

Further testing - the "Reset" button on the back appears to do nothing as well. I have tried holding it down while "exercising" the power button. Nothing produces any response from the ereader. It still is on and showing the index screen for the last book I was trying to read.

This is really disappointing.
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Armaced
Enthusiast

Alright - I finally got it to reboot by switching to a bigger paper clip and waiting for about 40 seconds (I had waited over a minute while holding down the reset button with the thin paper clip, but it must not have been hitting the button correctly.)

After a reboot it is now responding normally, and I did not lose any of my content.

It is still distressing that it can freeze up so easily. I was just browsing books, and I have only had it for a few days now.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Just curious in case it ever happens to ours... What type file was the book you were reading?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Hi! =)

If it ever happens again try the reset instructions on the wiki. Did you make the file yourself or did you download it?

Don't get too distressed about the lockup, I had a reader for about a year and a half and it only locked up on me like that twice, and since i format shift most of my ebooks it was probably something i did wrong.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've had the occassional lockup, but usually it's not a big deal to reset it.

I convert a lot of LIT files to ePub, and it seems to spontaneously reboot when I read those books.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
Armaced
Enthusiast

The file was a .pdf that I downloaded. It's metatags are not correct - the author field is empty and the title has contains both the author and the title. I have been reading it for the last few days (since I got the device) without incident, and only ran into trouble this once.

Since resetting, I have backed out of the book and returned to it in the same manner without any problems. Hopefully it was just a freak occurance.