Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
So Confused!

I just bought myself a birthday present of a new Kindle Fire HD. Very nice. No complaints.

Started sideloading ebooks, since I deDRM everything and have a combination of Amazon and non-Amazon books. Nearly all the Amazon books have been run through calibre (mostly Polish books, but some conversions). Books are being sideloaded, using Calibre Companion to /sdcard/Documents. Some books end up in "Books" and some end up in "Docs". Some that end up in "Books" are converted epubs I've downloaded from MR's library, some that end up in "Docs" are deDRM'd Amazon books that have been through calibre. Some that end up in "Books" are converted to epub/split using the split epub plugin/reconverted to azw3 books purchased from Amazon.

There is no consistency to what is put where. Is there nothing I can to do to make sense of the mess?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@jgaiser-
This may be old and not relevant anymore as I have an original Fire and don't use Calibre Companion. This problem was associated with the 'personal doc' tag of the book which can be seen in the conversion window of Calibre under 'mobi output'. If the 'personal doc tag' has PDOC as its value the book will show up as a document; if you either make the 'personal doc tag' blank or EBOK (and reconvert) then it will show up as a book.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@jgaiser-
This may be old and not relevant anymore as I have an original Fire and don't use Calibre Companion. This problem was associated with the 'personal doc' tag of the book which can be seen in the conversion window of Calibre under 'mobi output'. If the 'personal doc tag' has PDOC as its value the book will show up as a document; if you either make the 'personal doc tag' blank or EBOK (and reconvert) then it will show up as a book.
Hmm?? I know I've got EBOK set right now, but it's possible...

Nope... Just checked. Reconverted with EBOK set and it ended up in DOCs.

Sigh... I guess I'm just going to have to live with it. It's just strange
Old 03-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The original Fire had an interesting cache ability...after you remove the book from your fire to reconvert as EBOK, restart your fire before re-adding the book and see if that takes care of things....if not, someone else is going to need to give you better ideas. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe EBOK/PDOC is set when calibre transfers the book, and it always has EBOK set in the conversion.

I recently learned about changing this, so I set EBOK in my output preferences and resent my books, no conversion. They then did not show up on my Kindle Touch with the Personal Docs banner set (that is why I switched it, of course). The banner usually appears with PDOC set.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous

It's obviously some combination of holding ones tongue in the right position and having fingers crossed correctly. I have a copy of HarryT's Barsoom Omnibus, downloaded as epub, passed through Polish books in calibre and converted to azw3. It shows up in 'Books'. Other epubs that I *think* I've done the same procedure end up in 'Docs'.

I will probably do a bit more research later, but for now I'm just going to live with it.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
...something ... something ... ASIN (real/fake) ... in conjunction with EBOK ... maybe. I think I may have given up worrying about it after playing digital "whack-a-mole" with it for so long.

Try different file extensions, too.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
It's obviously some combination of holding ones tongue in the right position and having fingers crossed correctly. I have a copy of HarryT's Barsoom Omnibus, downloaded as epub, passed through Polish books in calibre and converted to azw3. It shows up in 'Books'. Other epubs that I *think* I've done the same procedure end up in 'Docs'.

I will probably do a bit more research later, but for now I'm just going to live with it.
Ah yes, the Barsoom Omnibus. I remember writing for info. on how to order the books from a publisher when I was a kid (I wondered if they were even still in print) and then yrs later I stumbled across the whole set here at MR. I like Omnibus collections. They are very convenient.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
...something ... something ... ASIN (real/fake) ... in conjunction with EBOK ... maybe. I think I may have given up worrying about it after playing digital "whack-a-mole" with it for so long.
Nice try... One of my first thoughts. Unfortunatey, the Barsoom book has *no* ASIN, fake or otherwise. I'm beginning to believe that Amazon just places *any* sideloaded book wherever the hell it wants to.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Seriously, after removing the offending book from your Fire and double checking the EBOK status (reconverting as necessary) clear the data on your Fire or do a restart before reloading it. The original Fire had the damnedest cache memory for books and without clearing data or restarting it would persist with however it had the book originally.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Quality Check plugin has an option to "Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire" which embeds the ASIN from calibre's identifiers field. (If mobi-asin/asin/amazon is not available, it falls back on the UUID.)

I'm pretty sure that option was created for this specific purpose.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The Quality Check plugin has an option to "Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire" which embeds the ASIN from calibre's identifiers field. (If mobi-asin/asin/amazon is not available, it falls back on the UUID.)

I'm pretty sure that option was created for this specific purpose.
The man gets a virtual cigar...!!!

Ok, it worked for one non-amazon epub that I couldn't get to show up anywhere except 'Docs'. I'll have to try a few more, but *maybe* we've got a fix. Thanks....
Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Final post. eschwartz is the winner... *All* the books that I tried that ended up in 'Docs' are now in 'Books' with correct covers.

So, remember this thread the next time someone has this problem.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Happy to help.

Just learned this trick myself, and have had fun mentioning it here and there.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What? I get nothing for my extremely helpful, erudite and concise "something ... something ... ASIN" advice?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote